Build recommendation requested AMD Ryzen5/7 or vs Intel i5 Gen9 - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Build recommendation requested AMD Ryzen5/7 or vs Intel i5 Gen9

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by Section31 View Post
If your buying in Hong Kong, why don't you just contact HK resellers to reserve one for you. For sure, they would want your business and you can even negotiate the price down or get some bonus items for free. They will have your PC done in short time and you just need to pick it up. They even offer services to build full custom loop PC's. You can message the seller through wechat/whatsapp. The site to look at is https://www.price.com.hk. The contact numbers will be there also.

This is much better method than wasting your time walking through those computer malls. There's better stuff you can do with your time there. I don't really like the shopping experience in many of those malls (I've been to them for years and I prefer dealing with North American stores), they are just too crowded and its not comfortable buying things. If your going watercooling route, be aware Hong Kong has extemely limited selection of water cooling parts. Its bad enough, that my friends who watercool there have to order parts in from overseas.

For people helping you budget builds, please don't use US pricing. It is not relevant in Hong Kong. Usewww.price.com.hk. From my experience there, you can get descent gaming rig for around 6000HKD or less (including windows).

On Side Note:
I recommend you guys go look at certain item pricing in Hong Kong like routers lol. Seriously, they are like 50-100% more than in North America. Everytime an router dies there (it happens to electronics because the weather is humid), I almost always have to buy an router here and bring it back to Hong Kong.
Excellent suggestions, I didnt know the price check at price.com.hk - was using Jumbo Computers online list for reference. My build as per the parts chosen comes close to $HK-5444 .. as suggested will start contacting sellers online. With the recent unrest it looks like online research is much better. Most of the stores are in main island. Do you suggest any specific stores?

Yes, you are right about water cooling, parts are limited. I could see that water cooling is limited to AIO options.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	i5 9400F Build.PNG
Views:	5
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	274594  

Name:	i7 Build.PNG
Views:	6
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	274596  

Last edited by aromal; 06-15-2019 at 02:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Section31 View Post
Other thing to consider if your buying motherboard is are you concerned about getting dead on arrival motherboard. That reasons i buy motherboards locally always, if anything goes wrong in the building phase, I can go back to the store and get store replacement within 15-30 days of purchase.
Valid point, yes I would like to see it POST ( mobo+processor+memory combo) and possibly boot. Wouldnt want to take it home to see that it doesnt work. Its a big risk on top having read about the not so pleasant experiences travellers have posted shopping at HK.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Anyone knows how much a PC will weight once fully set with single graphics card GTX1660 or RX590? On quick read around 15kgs for a mid tower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 05:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Another price check option after you talk with reseller is consider order from Amazon USA/Newegg International. Sometimes its about the same as buying in Hong Kong. Amazon shipping to Hong Kong was pretty affordable when I tried some qualifying items. You also get more reliable customer service.

Customer Service hasn't been great in Hong Kong for long time. In general, after purchase warranty service (unless its from the manufacturer) isn't that reliable. In regards to the news, it should dye down soon and the area its currently confined to is the main central business district. The computer shops in general are at various specialized mini-malls in Wanchai (couple blocks away) and Prince Edward Island. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Easiest way to get in touch with the resellers i imagine is wechat/whatsapp. It's part of business culture. I also suggest you could bring just an ssd or nvme ssd with windows installed on it (unlicensed version) and you can do testing on the machine before you leave. It's much easier to get things fixed by them before you go. Do the normal stress testing that you normally do. Best of luck on your side.

Last edited by Section31; 06-15-2019 at 05:38 AM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 05:43 AM
Senior OCN Member

Rep: 2737 (Unique: 1626)
There is no such thing as a gold edition PSU but there is 80 plus gold which is an efficiency rating
If thats what you are talking about please list the brand model and not the efficiency rating

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Corsair Force MP510 1,92 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 16 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 with Cherry MX Silent
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod 30 CM Magnetic Red LED strip
▲ hide details ▲
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 05:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by aromal View Post
Excellent suggestions, I didnt know the price check at price.com.hk - was using Jumbo Computers online list for reference. My build as per the parts chosen comes close to $HK-5444 .. as suggested will start contacting sellers online. With the recent unrest it looks like online research is much better. Most of the stores are in main island. Do you suggest any specific stores?

Yes, you are right about water cooling, parts are limited. I could see that water cooling is limited to AIO options.
I haven't bought from any store as i only go to Hong Kong for vacation and the thing with electronics nowadays are warranty, weight and there is almost no savings now. Also luggage space is allocated to other items that are worth purchasing in Hong Kong. Hong Kong can be very expensive place, especially hotels, and the place kinds of repeats itself. Area A has similar shops and restaurants to Area B with couple of unique shops/restaurants that you have to figure out through online research.

My experience is Wanchai Computer Mall(right outside MTR) and Golden Mall (Prince Edward Island MTR) are the bigger ones and also more comfortable of them. Also they are closet to an MTR station, you don't have to walk long distance even within the big multi level stations. They have bigger corridor so you don't have to worry about second hand smoke as much. There are couple more fancy looking shops in them but I still recommend doing research online and talking with reseller before you actually head there.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hi guys, I am back from HK and was able to manage a good build atleast everything works well and thermals are good too. I ended up buying the following spec. Some things were cheaper in India so picked from here.

Ryzen 2600 - From HK
XFX RTX 690 - From HK
Asus TUF Gaming Plus - From HK
HyperX 3000MHz Ram 8GB - From Amazon India
Samsung Hyper Evo Plus M.4 NVME 240GB - From Amazon India
Antec DF500 - From Amazon
Bought an additional thermallake XF series fan 120mm fan with whiteLED as Antec misses exhaust fans.
Antec EarthWatts Gold Plus 650w PSU - From Amazon.
Thermal Lake - RGB200 - was 5v and didnt play well with the motherboard. So now how to find a hub to get it working.
The system boots well with decent thermals. Ive installed windows and tried a short game of pubg. Now waiting for Aopen 144hz monitor today.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2019-07-15 at 7.58.11 AM.jpeg
Views:	4
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	281086  

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2019-07-16 at 9.23.49 AM.jpeg
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	281088  

Name:	stabilitytest-aida64-74DegC.png
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	281090  

Name:	Screenshot (1).png
Views:	7
Size:	817.4 KB
ID:	281092  

Last edited by aromal; 07-17-2019 at 04:55 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in