I got old Intel instead of Ryzen 3000 - Page 8 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

I got old Intel instead of Ryzen 3000

post #71 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 05:57 PM
Tech Enthusiast

Rep: 35 (Unique: 18)
Quote: Originally Posted by Serious_Don View Post
I also agree with his distaste for the plastic PGA socket. They get brittle over years of heavy use due to high socket temps and are prone to literally disintegrating when you try to swap CPUs.

I went with 3700x this time around because I don't want to lock into a 9900k with no upgrade path, but had to point that out, I wish AMD would step it up to a socket that can endure years of high temperatures and a handful of CPU swaps. I still bench and beat on my 775 board regularly and that socket is literally bulletproof.

(note this shouldn't matter for normal use, especially people who set and forget their CPU -- i'm talking 5 years of use and 5+ CPU swaps, but they do get brittle and come apart if you aren't careful)

/rant
So, I have never seen the Plastic Sockets Disintegrate, and I still have The Old Phenom and Athlon Boards and especially that Phenom Chip I put through hell, but I have a few in the garage, and I live in Vegas, so if anything makes them disintegrate then this constant heat should do it. That said, if thats the experience you have with them, if I had that same experience I would share your distaste with them. I again have never seen that, but if that is a problem then thats definitely a good reason to avoid them. Because they don't look as sleek, when your water block or big ass heatsink will be concealing it, well I find that a bit silly, but I also could just be out of touch...

Quote: Originally Posted by Alex132 View Post
I like the visual aspects of DIMM slots on either side of the CPU socket - I don't think there's anything wrong with that? It's akin to having a favourite color - it's a visual opinion and not objectively correct/incorrect. Motherboard visuals and performance do not have to be mutually exclusive.

Yeah I don't disagree with that at all, was just saying what I noticed as it happened a lot with the VEGA release.

Don't really disagree with anything in that either, apart from having a bias towards a company which I personally don't understand.

I think you did miss that I was talking about OCN/PC community in general in addition to your post - but that wasn't really obvious from my side to be fair.

Looks matter to me, and like I stated before they rarely are mutually exclusive options these days.

Of slight relevance would be me getting my Z390 Aorus Master; I do prefer other Z390 designs and wasn't a fan of Gigabyte from bad past experiences. However, it's features, components and performance made it too much of a compelling purchase against the rival motherboards.
Yeah don't mind me, I was being a snob. I completely understand the symmetry on both sides looking better, I have just never heard it used as a justification for picking one platform over another and I decided to be a dick about it.

As far as the bias, I completely understand, I think people who value one company over another is completely stupid, every product should be looked at on a case by case basis with no regards towards who makes the product, and evaluated on the merits. A company's one objective is to make money and could care less about you, so its stupid to blindly buy just because one company makes it over the other.

That said, I personally do just that, and live by it, but I am also aware of myself enough to know that I will always go toward an AMD Product first, I guess because of Marketing that I fall for, or because they have always been the underdog, I don't know exactly why, but I do know that with myself I do tend to lean towards AMD. The difference between me and a lot of blind fan boys (Of AMD, Intel, NVidia, or any of the rest) is that I recognize that, and will pull myself out of that before making a decision to evaluate the true merits of what it is I am purchasing for myself or a client. So having a bias, I ultimately can understand because I know I have one, but being blindly loyal, that is what I wish there was less of, but there is a lot of people out there who just think with there emotions unfortunately, not sure there is much the rest of us can do to change that.

Anyways, I agree with pretty much everything you said, even that I often find Intel Boards more aesthetically pleasing. Personally I though Gigabytes Z390 Boards were so damn Sexy, with those actual Nickel Plated Copper Heatsinks! I fell in LOVE! So much that on my 9900K Build I made them the center peice. So Believe me I understand it, I just did my research first to make sure they could properly drive my 9900K to its limit without issue, and thankfully it could or I wouldn't have got it. So you can of course achieve both, I think I just have a hard time understanding deciding to go with a more expensive platform simply because I like the way it looks better. Now once I have chosen a platform for whatever reason, finding a set of boards that perform the best on that platform, and then choosing the one that looks the best, I understand that, but simply choosing something because it looks good alone, I just find that hard to fathom. But I also shouldn't be such a snob, ultimately you should always do what you think is best for you, damned what any other ******* on the internet says or thinks.

-MattTheTech

Offical Ryzen 9 3900x Owner!
DodekaZen3000
(28 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid
RAM
G.SKILL Flare X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3200Mhz (PC4 25600) - F4-3200C14D-16GFX (x2 Kits)
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850/860 Evo (x3 Raid 0 Game Drive)
Hard Drive
WD Black 4TB (x2 Raid 0 Storage Drive)
Hard Drive
860 Evo
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray Burner (Model BH16NS40)
Optical Drive
5.25" to One 3.5" and One 2.25" Bay (Model Syba SY-MRA55006)
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000i
Cooling
EKWB Phoenix 360mm Modular Cooler
Case
Old Jonesbo Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Samsung NU8000 55Inch TV (Its a 4k TV But I run in it 1440p 120hz)
Monitor
LG 1080p 34 Inch Diplay
Keyboard
Corsair k70 RGB Lux Mk2
Mouse
Logitech G700s
Mousepad
Razer Vespula V2
Audio
Custom Built 7.1 Surround System
Audio
HT-Omega eClaro 7.1 Sound Card
Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Other
Aquantia 10Gb NIC
Other
LSI 9211-8i
Other
Oculus Rift HMD
Other
10 ML120 + 2 ML140 Corsair Maglev Fans
Other
Phanteks Halo aRGB LUX x5
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by andrews2547; 07-26-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 06:51 PM
486DX2 66

Rep: 237 (Unique: 128)
Quote: Originally Posted by oreonutz View Post
So, I have never seen the Plastic Sockets Disintegrate, and I still have The Old Phenom and Athlon Boards and especially that Phenom Chip I put through hell, but I have a few in the garage, and I live in Vegas, so if anything makes them disintegrate then this constant heat should do it. That said, if thats the experience you have with them, if I had that same experience I would share your distaste with them. I again have never seen that, but if that is a problem then thats definitely a good reason to avoid them. Because they don't look as sleek, when your water block or big ass heatsink will be concealing it, well I find that a bit silly, but I also could just be out of touch...
It's not a distaste enough for me to stop buying them, hence why I grabbed the X570 Aorus Pro, I just have to agree with him that they could be better. I'm in the southeast (~90F right now) and used to keep them in the garage.. Not sure ambient is the issue. In fact now that I'm thinking about it, most of my failures happened with AM3+ boards running FX 4-8 core CPUs. The socket temps on those when overclocked gets massive to the point where you can barely run them without strapping a fan to the backplate. I did a good bit of benching those and had a few sockets become very brittle and literally fall to pieces when lifting the CPU locking arm.

I don't recall any issues with my older AM2+ and AM3 boards running athlons and phenoms, they just weren't cranking out nearly as much power. So I guess I could modify my comment to say that I don't believe these sockets can withstand 5 years of running way above ambient.

I'm running an Asus M5A99FX Pro r.2 right now with a noctua nhd15 on it, with all my tabs going in the browser and the AC cranked in the house, the package temps are low enough to where they just bug out showing 24C, but the socket temp is 40C and this is only at 4.2ghz, with a 120mm fan zip tied to the backplate. At 4.5ghz and without that fan the socket will shoot right up towards 80C and stay there while the CPU is barely 50. I think it's years of temps like that capable of wearing the socket out.

Don't care about looks obviously, I just think the metal lid on 775 and above is far more durable than the plastic AMD socket.

Anyway, maybe that is just my test sample of 1 person issue, but it's happened a number of times.

Can't hear my delta fans over my Death Metal crew
I Just Found Out My PCs Have A Power Button. Meh, Still Not Shutting Down Club Member #00001
In the beginning were the words and the words made the world. I am the words. The words are everything. Where the words end the world ends. You cannot go forward in the absence of space. Repeat.
HAF Baked
(16 items)
M-M-Monster Kill
(13 items)
CPU
3700x
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi
GPU
EVGA 980 Ti ACX
RAM
DDR4 3600 CamoRamo "Pook Edition"
Hard Drive
Crucial MX500 M.2
Power Supply
evga g2
Cooling
h100i
Case
Corsair 900D
Operating System
Windows 10
Operating System
Ubuntu 18.04
Monitor
Asus XG35V
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB
Mouse
Windows 95 compatible serial ball mouse (srs)
Mousepad
Gigabyte Ghost
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster X-fi titanium pro fatality edition
CPU
FX 8320
Motherboard
Asus
GPU
Sapphire Tri-X 290
RAM
Corsair Vengeance 1600
Hard Drive
Corsair Forse LS SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F3
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black
Optical Drive
Asus 24x DVD-RW
Power Supply
EVGA
Cooling
CM Hyper 212 Evo
Case
Cooler Master HAF 922
Operating System
Debian 9 & Win7
Monitor
Asus VH236H
Keyboard
Ancient Dell Mechanical
Mouse
Corsair MX65
Mouse
Gigabyte Ghost Extreme Accuracy
CPU
Pentium III
Motherboard
Intel SE440BX-2
GPU
GeForce MX 440 AGP 8X
RAM
Viking PC133 SDRAM
RAM
Viking PC133 SDRAM
Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar
Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar 39000
Optical Drive
LG DVD/RW
Cooling
Stock
Operating System
Windoze 98
Audio
Sound Blaster Pro2
Audio
Sound Blaster 16
Audio
Sound Blaster Live!
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Serious_Don; 07-20-2019 at 06:55 PM.
post #73 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:01 PM
Tech Enthusiast

Rep: 35 (Unique: 18)
It's not a distaste enough for me to stop buying them, hence why I grabbed the X570 Aorus Pro, I just have to agree with him that they could be better. I'm in the southeast (~90F right now) and used to keep them in the garage.. Not sure ambient is the issue. In fact now that I'm thinking about it, most of my failures happened with AM3+ boards running FX 4-8 core CPUs. The socket temps on those when overclocked gets massive to the point where you can barely run them without strapping a fan to the backplate. I did a good bit of benching those and had a few sockets become very brittle and literally fall to pieces when lifting the CPU locking arm.

I don't recall any issues with my older AM2+ and AM3 boards running athlons and phenoms, they just weren't cranking out nearly as much power. So I guess I could modify my comment to say that I don't believe these sockets can withstand 5 years of running way above ambient.

I'm running an Asus M5A99FX Pro r.2 right now with a noctua nhd15 on it, with all my tabs going in the browser and the AC cranked in the house, the package temps are low enough to where they just bug out showing 24C, but the socket temp is 40C and this is only at 4.2ghz, with a 120mm fan zip tied to the backplate. At 4.5ghz and without that fan the socket will shoot right up towards 80C and stay there while the CPU is barely 50. I think it's years of temps like that capable of wearing the socket out.

Don't care about looks obviously, I just think the metal lid on 775 and above is far more durable than the plastic AMD socket.

Anyway, maybe that is just my test sample of 1 person issue, but it's happened a number of times.
Yeah, that makes sense. Thats funny, I have a "Server" thats an FX Build, that used to use that VERY MOBO, now its on the Sabertooth 990FX R3, but I LITERALLY JUST retired it, in favor of this new Intel 6850k Build I just setup. I didn't bother to check either Socket after, both of them are sitting in my office with their Coolers and Chips still mounted to the board. The M5A99FX Pro R2 with the fx-8350 that probably got beat up the most, ran that build from Jan 2013 (when I finally gave up on the promise of FX for Gaming) until April 2017 with an Overclock of 4.9Ghz on a Hyper 212 Evo, I finally have a few Caps on the Board Blow in April, and that when I bought the Sabertooth 990FX Board because it was the best I could find to get the damn rig back up and running, and I remember Newegg had a steal on it, it was right after the launch of Ryzen and I was able to get it and a FX 9590 for $175, so I did and threw them in the Rig with a Corsair H100i and ran that OC'd to 5.2Ghz until less than a Week ago when I finally switched it all over to the i7-6850k. I wonder if either of my sockets are messed up, I am going to check it out and let you know. These chips held up good for what they were, I personally HATED using them, ESPECIALLY without an SSD, but I basically needed the build to run my Storage and CableCard Cable TV Recording/Plex/Kodi Server that I use to serve up TV to my entire House. It also automatically converted all TV Recordings to h264 and then later h265 while not recording TV, and because I have 18 Tuners, it meant this server literally ran at 65 to 95% usage at all times, 24/7 a day for almost 7 Years. I bet that plastic is all brittle now. Will let you know. (I can say I am happy with the new setup now that I am finished setting it all up in their separate VMs, the Handbrake encoding literally takes almost half the time to Convert which is awesome.) Anyways, will shut up now!

I stand Corrected! Dude, I have never seen this before, but you learn something new every day. Yeah I agree, they should switch over to a more durable socket, this is ridiculous!

So my Sabertooth Socket is completely fine, but the board is barely 2 years old, so I would expect that. The M5A99FX on the other hand. I just heated it up with a heatgun like I always do when demounting a cooler on an AM2/3/4 Socket, we all know even the best Thermal Paste acts like Glue on these damn chips and I have had to fix the Pins on too many AMD Chips, so I just use the Hot Gun Method to heat up the Paste, then the Cooler comes right off without Pulling the Chip out of the Socket. Anyways, I lift up the retention arm after it cooled down, picked up the Chip, then when I put the arm back down It literally came out of the socket. Never seen that **** before. When trying to put it back in I broke more of the socket. This **** is brittle as hell. So Yeah man, you are absolutely right. I got curious and threw it on the test bench, put the chip back in it, you have to fiddle with where the retention bracket is supposed to be to get the holes on the socket to open up, but once the chip is mounted inside it still boots up, so at least the board still works, but yeah any resell value this board has is gone now (granted it probably had none to begin with, but still.)

So yeah, just wanted to let you know, I tested it and you are absolutely right. It does appear that the Sabertooth is using a much more durable plastic, so I am not sure if the same would happen in this case, but knowing that the Socket itself is usually manufactured at a third party distributor, there probably isn't more then a handful of choices to get these sockets from, lets hope that these Expensive x570 Board Makers are choosing a more Durable Socket option to purchase and incorporate in their designs...

-MattTheTech

Offical Ryzen 9 3900x Owner!
DodekaZen3000
(28 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid
RAM
G.SKILL Flare X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3200Mhz (PC4 25600) - F4-3200C14D-16GFX (x2 Kits)
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850/860 Evo (x3 Raid 0 Game Drive)
Hard Drive
WD Black 4TB (x2 Raid 0 Storage Drive)
Hard Drive
860 Evo
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray Burner (Model BH16NS40)
Optical Drive
5.25" to One 3.5" and One 2.25" Bay (Model Syba SY-MRA55006)
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000i
Cooling
EKWB Phoenix 360mm Modular Cooler
Case
Old Jonesbo Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Samsung NU8000 55Inch TV (Its a 4k TV But I run in it 1440p 120hz)
Monitor
LG 1080p 34 Inch Diplay
Keyboard
Corsair k70 RGB Lux Mk2
Mouse
Logitech G700s
Mousepad
Razer Vespula V2
Audio
Custom Built 7.1 Surround System
Audio
HT-Omega eClaro 7.1 Sound Card
Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Other
Aquantia 10Gb NIC
Other
LSI 9211-8i
Other
Oculus Rift HMD
Other
10 ML120 + 2 ML140 Corsair Maglev Fans
Other
Phanteks Halo aRGB LUX x5
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by andrews2547; 07-26-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 03:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Do I care if I'm getting 100 fps (AMD) while gaming instead of 102 fps (intel)? Nope. And I'm smoking intel everywhere else...LOL! It's a no-brainer. A mere 2% hardly qualifies declaring intel as "better at gaming." And what do you want 150 fps for anyway when 60 fps is optimal?

Azza Inferno 310 Case|AMD Ryzen 7 1700X|Deepcool GAMMAXX GT RGB Cooler|AsRock X370 Taichi MOBO|GSkill Trident-Z RGB 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 CL-14|Samsung 970 EVO Pro NVMe M.2 512GB|Samsung 850 EVO 500GB|Tosihiba DT01ACA300 HDD 3TB|Seagate ST1000DX001 HDD 1TB|EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 Ti FTW2|Corsair TX-650 650W PSU|6 x Enermax T.B. RGB Fans
post #75 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 03:58 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 12)
Quote: Originally Posted by 1096bimu View Post
Also Ryzen 3000 is fast and low power but I don't think it's cool at all, it's just made from low grade reject server chips, where as the 5960x is a top quality, complete chip.
This is only relative to the CPUs of the same architecture, manufactured on the same manufacturing process.
These are two completely different CPUs on two completely different manufacturing processes.

Also there's nothing "advanced" about fans on chipsets.
You can run it on an X470 board. X570 just gives you PCI-E 4.0, basically. And you're already going without PCI-E 4.0 with a 5960X.

They can't even bother to make an effective heat sink because they want their boards to look like alien space ships.
Well yeah, but that's not up to AMD, that's up to the motherboard manufacturers.

Besides, I wouldn't classify the heatsinks on the Rampage V to be 'real heatsinks' either. They were definitely designed for looks over function.

Also I think you're underestimating Intel, the 5960x is a match for Zen+ not Zen1 considering the clock speed advantages.
A 5960X doesn't reach the clock speeds that a 9900K does. You might get 4.2-4.4 out of it, which is not much more than Zen+ gets.

I know, because I still have a 5960X, which I've run for like 4 years. I'll be replacing it with either the 3950X, or one of the ThreadRippers.

Last edited by Apokalipse; 07-23-2019 at 04:04 PM.
post #76 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 09:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by dagget3450 View Post
I have both the 5960x and a ryzen 3600, guess which one is going to get gaming dedicated.(not Intel) Intels older CPUs are losing ground thanks to security flaws. To each their own I suppose...
This was one of the reasons why I actually went AMD. Don't get me wrong, there may be security issues that my hit AMD in the future (hopefully not), but how the last security breach was handled and how it impacted most Intel based systems, it made it quite easy for me to make the swap.

I have a 3800x, and while I like the 4.4ghz boost, I am not too comfortable with the 1.48-1.5v that runs through it. Yes, I know, AMD has stated it is perfectly safe. I just don't like that high voltage regardless.

While my Intel based system with an 8700k was great to overclock and great in games, I did BSOD somewhat often than normal. Some games would crash after install and I couldn't figure out why, especially after a fresh Windows install.

Just last night I attempted to install one of those games, and it worked on my AMD system. Keep in mind, the only components I swapped was the chip and mobo, all other components are the same! So far I am liking the chip!
post #77 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:33 PM
486DX2 66

Rep: 237 (Unique: 128)
Quote: Originally Posted by oreonutz View Post
I stand Corrected! Dude, I have never seen this before, but you learn something new every day. Yeah I agree, they should switch over to a more durable socket, this is ridiculous!

So my Sabertooth Socket is completely fine, but the board is barely 2 years old, so I would expect that. The M5A99FX on the other hand. I just heated it up with a heatgun like I always do when demounting a cooler on an AM2/3/4 Socket, we all know even the best Thermal Paste acts like Glue on these damn chips and I have had to fix the Pins on too many AMD Chips, so I just use the Hot Gun Method to heat up the Paste, then the Cooler comes right off without Pulling the Chip out of the Socket. Anyways, I lift up the retention arm after it cooled down, picked up the Chip, then when I put the arm back down It literally came out of the socket. Never seen that **** before. When trying to put it back in I broke more of the socket. This **** is brittle as hell. So Yeah man, you are absolutely right. I got curious and threw it on the test bench, put the chip back in it, you have to fiddle with where the retention bracket is supposed to be to get the holes on the socket to open up, but once the chip is mounted inside it still boots up, so at least the board still works, but yeah any resell value this board has is gone now (granted it probably had none to begin with, but still.)

So yeah, just wanted to let you know, I tested it and you are absolutely right. It does appear that the Sabertooth is using a much more durable plastic, so I am not sure if the same would happen in this case, but knowing that the Socket itself is usually manufactured at a third party distributor, there probably isn't more then a handful of choices to get these sockets from, lets hope that these Expensive x570 Board Makers are choosing a more Durable Socket option to purchase and incorporate in their designs...
That's pretty nuts it just happened to you too.. Same with mine, was able to get it to boot if I slid the socket back in place and then tightened the heatsink but I ended up just throwing the board in the garbage.. I think this issue goes mostly under the radar because most people only install the CPU once in the boards entire life and get rid of it afterwards (usually with the CPU still installed).

It doesn't mean AMD has to ditch PGA for LGA, but I would really like it if they came up with a new retention mechanism, preferably not made of cheap plastic.

Hopefully the socket doesn't run as hot on ryzen 3000 CPUs, but if the core temps are any indicator, it's quite possible I'll have the same issue down the line. Not sure if any change in material since AM3+ has been done, my new Aorus x570 looks the same to me.

Can't hear my delta fans over my Death Metal crew
I Just Found Out My PCs Have A Power Button. Meh, Still Not Shutting Down Club Member #00001
In the beginning were the words and the words made the world. I am the words. The words are everything. Where the words end the world ends. You cannot go forward in the absence of space. Repeat.
HAF Baked
(16 items)
M-M-Monster Kill
(13 items)
CPU
3700x
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi
GPU
EVGA 980 Ti ACX
RAM
DDR4 3600 CamoRamo "Pook Edition"
Hard Drive
Crucial MX500 M.2
Power Supply
evga g2
Cooling
h100i
Case
Corsair 900D
Operating System
Windows 10
Operating System
Ubuntu 18.04
Monitor
Asus XG35V
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB
Mouse
Windows 95 compatible serial ball mouse (srs)
Mousepad
Gigabyte Ghost
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster X-fi titanium pro fatality edition
CPU
FX 8320
Motherboard
Asus
GPU
Sapphire Tri-X 290
RAM
Corsair Vengeance 1600
Hard Drive
Corsair Forse LS SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F3
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black
Optical Drive
Asus 24x DVD-RW
Power Supply
EVGA
Cooling
CM Hyper 212 Evo
Case
Cooler Master HAF 922
Operating System
Debian 9 & Win7
Monitor
Asus VH236H
Keyboard
Ancient Dell Mechanical
Mouse
Corsair MX65
Mouse
Gigabyte Ghost Extreme Accuracy
CPU
Pentium III
Motherboard
Intel SE440BX-2
GPU
GeForce MX 440 AGP 8X
RAM
Viking PC133 SDRAM
RAM
Viking PC133 SDRAM
Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar
Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar 39000
Optical Drive
LG DVD/RW
Cooling
Stock
Operating System
Windoze 98
Audio
Sound Blaster Pro2
Audio
Sound Blaster 16
Audio
Sound Blaster Live!
▲ hide details ▲

post #78 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 15)
I myself pretty much prefer PGA, too many LGA boards with magically bent pins. The worst problem is that you pull the CPU together with the cooler sometimes.

Core i9 9900K @ 5.2 || EVGA Z390 DARK || 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 4600 C18 @ 4266 C17 || GPU: EVGA Kingpin RTX2080Ti @ 2130MHz || Samsung 970PRO 1TB + 860EVO 2TB || Lian Li O11 Dynamic White || Corsair AX1600i || Screen: LG B8 OLED 55 and LG 34GK950F
Corsair H150i PRO + Noctua NF-A12x25
post #79 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:46 PM
Testing...

Rep: 215 (Unique: 188)
Ryzen 2 isn't always faster than a 9900K so I paid $550CAD for a 5960X.

FX-5500 — 6600GT — 5770 — R9 390 - Vega 64
WMO 1.1A — MX518 — MX1000 — Deathadder 3G — Sensei — GPro
Duron 1.6 — XP 2400+ — A64 3000+ DTR — E2180 — E8400 — Q6600 — 1100T — FX8150 — FX8350 — R7 1700 — R5 2600X
post #80 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by Buris View Post
If you didn't have enough money to buy Ryzen 3000 just say it, but don't make up excuses trying to justify your purchase. X570 is superior to your current motherboard in every imaginable way, even in memory bandwidth, unless you specifically disable all the security patches. I also assure you my Aorus Master X570 has better VRM's than your motherboard, especially when you take into account the degradation of your board.

With that being said, you definitely got a deal.
So you think I have enough for TR3000 but not Ryzen 3000? No, I just don't like it.
Why would I need better VRMs on CPUs that use much less power?

X570 is superior in most technical ways but totally inferior in aesthetics.

Quote: Originally Posted by NotForKids View Post
You chose an outdated architecture with more and more security flaws appearing instead of a newer architecture that has room for improvement.

DDR4 pricing? Fine tune a memory overclock and you can purchase lower speed kits and push them for even more performance.

To be fair, you're thinking like a gamer, and acting like one. Hurr durr this benchmark, that benchmark. It's not like there is a difference in unzipping a compressed file on 5960x and Ryzen 3? Oh woops, real world usage =/= gamer.
The security flaws don't matter to home users a single bit, they're worrisome for attacks on other virtual machines running on the same computer.
RAM stick manufacturers bin their stuff, you can't just buy cheap ram, run a higher profile and have the same thing as more expensive RAM.
what? unzip? isn't that storage speed limited?

Last edited by andrews2547; 07-26-2019 at 01:04 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in