Overclock.net banner

New To Overclocking! Time to break my old PC!

508 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  cssorkinman 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I am repetitively new to overclocking as I am currently running an i7-4700k and just push the turbo button on my motherboard! Thats all my overclocking experience! Woo! So now that is out of the way, the real reason I am here.

I am upgrading my fiances old fx 8350 on a gigabyte 990fx gaming motherboard. I do plan to upgrade the CPU cooler as it has a 212evo to something beefier to handle the overclocking I want to try. So I need advice on where to start with this to maximize the performance as I will just use it as a computer server and to "learn" overclocking before I tinker with her new build.

As for ram overclocking I threw in the most overkill ram I replaced from mine into hers which is the G.Skill TridentX DDR3 2600 (PC3 20800) Timing 10-12-12-31. The motherboard only supports 2000mhz but I am wondering if I should mess with timings?

Any and all beneficial advice is welcome as I am new and trying to learn to understand more about unlocking my computers hidden potential!!

Thanks again!

#2 ·
Which gigabyte motherboard do you have? Also ,what power supply?

#6 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I own the 990FX UD5 rev 4 - beautiful , brutish motherboard. Hardware wise, it is very very good. BIOs is flat awful however and the overclocking utility it came with was wonky to the point of being useless.

Apply airflow liberally, cpu vrm area and back of socket if you push really hard. Watch temps on board and chip under 60 C is best for the cpu. On my FX rigs a 10 C drops in cpu temp can gain 100+ mhz in stable clocks.

Good luck and feel free to post results ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.