Overclock.net banner

Do I need a new watercooler?

605 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  The Pook 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm running an i7-9700k with no OC on the proc just running XMP I profile on the memory. So at idle while I wrote this post I am at 51c on the package running at 1.04v and my memory is running at 1600mhz.

When I run something simple like loading my game clients, the CPU package temp will rise to around 75c! All on default 4.6ghz and maybe 1.27v max

Does this sound normal? I'm running a Corsair H100i v2 that's about 3ish years old

Thanks

#2 ·
Hi,
Pump could be on it's way out out these clc's are usually only good for 3 years.
Good thing 5 year warranty.

Have you reinstalled the block yet I'm thinking you probably have it's usually the first thing people do.

#3 ·
there is no i7 9900K, and the i9 9900K is not 4.6 all core. I'd probably figure out what CPU you have first before trying to fix it.

idle temps mean nothing, look at your load temps.

#4 ·
TY for that I edited the post

#5 ·
When you say re-install the block do you mean disconnecting the USB from it and re-installing iCue?

note: I did just build this PC a month ago

#6 ·
Hi,
No just clean and redo thermal paste.
Do you have a spare air cooler around ?

#7 ·
#8 ·
Hi,
Well that is way more than just a back up air cooler would cost
If the h100 is bad rma would get you a new one for shipping cost to corsair in Cali.
Air cooler about 40.us

#9 · (Edited)
I have the i7 9700k and i've found it by far the hardest chip to cool at 5.0Ghz, I have always had issues cooling it, I've just installed water cooling for it. Everyday tasks are ok around the 60c mark but on heavy benchmarks like intel burn test my temps will hit around 87c, I use a d5 pump and a large triple radiator that never even gets warm, I think with these chip's you get them with good soldering or bad like mine, I run mem at 3Ghz.

#10 ·
So I'm kinda finding that if you run your RAM at DDR-3200 (1600mHz) the CPU and VRM run alot hotter IMO. I dropped my Dominators down from 1600mhz to 1066mHz with timings at 15-15-15-36-1, I am able to get my CPU to 4.9Ghz and run fine for all everyday tasks. However, with my current cooler, cinebench will get this CPU to max temp about 90% of the way through and I have to kill the bench. Games seems to run fine and synthetic CPU 3dMark gets it up to 80c

#11 ·
if your CPU is running hotter when your RAM is running at a higher frequency then take your VCCIO and SA voltage off auto and set them manually, lol.

while kneecapping your RAM to 2133 is kinda funny it's also kinda dumb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.