Overclock.net banner

Not getting full speed on NVME

Tags
m.2 nvme ssd
2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  ThrashZone 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello. I just bought my first NVME and I'm having an issue with the benchmarking. I'm supposed to get 3500/3200MB/s read/write but I'm getting 816/747. I'm guessing it's because my motherboard is outdated (MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition) but I thought it would be fine since pcpartpicker didn't say anything about speed limitation. Only that one SATA express port would be disabled. The NVME I got is an Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB. So if my motherboard doesnt support full speed, is there any way to make it full speed without a new motherboard? I did a quick google search and found some people talking about an adapter or something of the sort.

EDIT: Here is the exact thing pcpartpicker said "The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with a SATA Express port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA Express port is disabled."

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Check your mobo manual and see that M.2 here is PCIE 2.0 x2 (10Gbps).

#5 ·
PCIE to M.2 adapter will work. But it's just not really worth bothering with.

#8 ·
I mean you won't benefit from full NVMe speed as the adapter solution is plug and play. It requires nothing else than assembly and connecting to a pcie slot. You don't have to return it.

#7 ·
Apart from sequential read/writes the benchmark is correct as my E12 drive gives close to the same Q1 read/writes.

#9 ·
Hi,
Yeah 970 evo plus should be much better
Here's mine
Had quite a few issues with adata 8200 pro's and returned them for this and another 970 evo because they hit or exceed read/ write spec's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.