Xeb's Guide to Applying IC7 and Other Thick TIMs - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

View Poll Results: Did you find this guid helpful?
Yes 51 69.86%
No 12 16.44%
Yes, but need to be clearer 9 12.33%
No, needs to be clearer. 1 1.37%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Xeb's Guide to Applying IC7 and Other Thick TIMs

post #1 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
Sacrifice Chickens To Me!

Rep: 1340 (Unique: 998)

Can be used for other TIMs!!!!!

This is how I go about applying IC7 to anything (or any other viscous TIM like Shin whatever).

1. You NEED to run it under hot water for about 2-3 minutes so it is easier to get out of the tube.

***Ignore this if you have MX-2, AS5, etc*****

2. You cannot spread it, so you have to put a glob in the dead center of your CPU.
I recommend using a 6-7mm (I used about an 8mm) glob for people using a HDT cooler like the s1283 and for everyone else, use a 5-6mm glob.

3. Take heat sinks and put it down onto the processor and apply some pressure (if you are on a table, you can apply a good amount pressure. And my a good amount, I mean about 3-5 pounds of pressure if you want).

4. Tighten down the heat sink. And put the fan back on the heat sink.

5. Turn your computer on and really stress it hard for 2 hours (Intel Burn Test or OCCT LinPack) to break in the compound.
6. Enjoy.

Only fools do not BACKUP their DATA!.
"Everyone is an expert in something. Never approach an interaction thinking someone is otherwise. Knowledge is acquired not earned. Always be humble and wise. Never look down on others for simply being ignorant within your realm of expertise."
-
looniam ~ there's only one thing left to do:sacrifice a chicken to call upon the great Lord Xeb

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 08:33 PM
It's still almost enough.

Good guide, though I personally prefer the lines-between-pipes method for HDT coolers. It's a little messy, but this worked out quite well for me with Freeze Extreme on the Thor's Hammer:

I did actually clean up the pipes a little bit, but between the pipes was still like that.

Combined air and water cooling tips: Fan database | My San Ace 9G1212H1011 review | Don't mix metals or use premixes / dyes | Distilled vs. tap water | Good radiator brands | Water (almost) can't flow too fast | Which PT Nuke to use | Regarding thermal paste spreading
Deep Blood
(15 items)
Soft Sentinel
(13 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7 920 D0 (Batch # 3901A240)
Motherboard
Foxconn X58 Blood Rage (non-GTI)
GPU
Sapphire Vega 64 8GB
RAM
6GB Corsair Dominator 1.6GHz TR3X6G1600C8D Rev 3.2
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD830 128GB / Seagate 640GB+2TB+2x4TB
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S223Q 22X
Power Supply
Antec HCPP-850
Cooling
XTTH | OCZ Freeze | 9G1212H1011
Case
CaseLabs SM8
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Monitor
Dell U2410f (rev. A02)
Keyboard
Code 104 w/O-rings + Vortex PBT/POM doubleshot keycaps
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP w/Dechanic Mini pad
Audio
Asus Xonar DX / Klipsch RM-14s + Dayton DTA-120 / MXL Tempo
Other
Microsoft Lifecam Cinema
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E6320
Motherboard
Intel DP35DP
GPU
XFX GeForce 7600GT
RAM
2GB Mushkin DDR2 800 5-5-5-12
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB
Optical Drive
Asus 18x multi-burner
Power Supply
Enermax Liberty 400w modular
Case
Rosewill R5604-TBK
Operating System
Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit
Monitor
Samsung LN-S2351W
Keyboard
Ideazon MERC
Mouse
Logitech MX-518 (rev.2; 1800 DPI [no Teflon feet])
Mouse
Xtrac Pads Ripper
▲ hide details ▲

post #3 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp View Post
Good guide, though I personally prefer the lines-between-pipes method for HDT coolers. It's a little messy, but this worked out quite well for me with Freeze Extreme on the Thor's Hammer:

I did actually clean up the pipes a little bit, but between the pipes was still like that.
I have actually found out that is the worst way to put TIM on those kinds of coolers.... But with IC7 and other viscous TIMs you really do not have a choice but to use my guide.... (truse me after several (at least 7 or 8) reseats and stress testing).

For HDT coolers I have found that if you were to take TIM and place it on the base of the cooler and spread it around till the groves are filled it then scrap off the excesses. Then use that excess and some more TIM on the CPU and spread it around pretty evenly (you need a layer about 1-2 paper sheets thick), then press it down making sure you do not lift the cooler. Tighten it and your good to go

"Everyone is an expert in something. Never approach an interaction thinking someone is otherwise. Knowledge is acquired not earned. Always be humble and wise. Never look down on others for simply being ignorant within your realm of expertise."
-
looniam ~ there's only one thing left to do:sacrifice a chicken to call upon the great Lord Xeb

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 10:11 PM
It's still almost enough.

I'm not sure about that, since you're using a cooler with one less pipe contacting a smaller CPU. The method you suggest sounds like I would need to use TOO MUCH TIM, which isn't a good thing. Freeze only needs enough to cover the CPU's IHS, no more, no less, which means only putting TIM on either the cooler or the CPU, not both.

Combined air and water cooling tips: Fan database | My San Ace 9G1212H1011 review | Don't mix metals or use premixes / dyes | Distilled vs. tap water | Good radiator brands | Water (almost) can't flow too fast | Which PT Nuke to use | Regarding thermal paste spreading
Deep Blood
(15 items)
Soft Sentinel
(13 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7 920 D0 (Batch # 3901A240)
Motherboard
Foxconn X58 Blood Rage (non-GTI)
GPU
Sapphire Vega 64 8GB
RAM
6GB Corsair Dominator 1.6GHz TR3X6G1600C8D Rev 3.2
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD830 128GB / Seagate 640GB+2TB+2x4TB
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S223Q 22X
Power Supply
Antec HCPP-850
Cooling
XTTH | OCZ Freeze | 9G1212H1011
Case
CaseLabs SM8
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Monitor
Dell U2410f (rev. A02)
Keyboard
Code 104 w/O-rings + Vortex PBT/POM doubleshot keycaps
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP w/Dechanic Mini pad
Audio
Asus Xonar DX / Klipsch RM-14s + Dayton DTA-120 / MXL Tempo
Other
Microsoft Lifecam Cinema
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E6320
Motherboard
Intel DP35DP
GPU
XFX GeForce 7600GT
RAM
2GB Mushkin DDR2 800 5-5-5-12
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB
Optical Drive
Asus 18x multi-burner
Power Supply
Enermax Liberty 400w modular
Case
Rosewill R5604-TBK
Operating System
Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit
Monitor
Samsung LN-S2351W
Keyboard
Ideazon MERC
Mouse
Logitech MX-518 (rev.2; 1800 DPI [no Teflon feet])
Mouse
Xtrac Pads Ripper
▲ hide details ▲

post #5 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

I use "too much" because it squeezes out of the gaps <.< But usually I only do about a paper sheet thick layer.

-

post #6 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 01:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Man. Lord, your system must be so loud. Bit off topic, but im wondering if you use headphones or something.

ninja.gifThe HAF 932 Case Owners Clubninja.gif
Yes i know, a 1000Watt PSU is overkill. But you have to ask yourself, what if?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnage of Death
some guy on these forums got 4.67GHz stable and on youtube some guy got 5GHz
5GHz x 4 cores thats 20 Cores and + hyperthreads thats 5GHz x 8 cores thats 40 cores on a i7
and 4.2GHz X 8 Cores is 33GHz so basicly 33 cores
post #7 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 01:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 31 (Unique: 30)
I ordered the IC7 cause I ran out of MX-2. Also I'm going to be reinstalling my Dark Knight. DK is an HDT cooler, so what is a REALLY good way to apply the IC7 on those. I can't seem to get a straight answer on this anywhere.

Rig In Black 2.0 Progress 0%
[|||||||||||]

Hidden Text Below! (Click to show)Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
| PSN: JonMkC4 |
Add Me
Games I Own
Tekken 6

post #8 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 02:13 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 346 (Unique: 284)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Xeb View Post
I have actually found out that is the worst way to put TIM on those kinds of coolers.... But with IC7 and other viscous TIMs you really do not have a choice but to use my guide.... (truse me after several (at least 7 or 8) reseats and stress testing).

For HDT coolers I have found that if you were to take TIM and place it on the base of the cooler and spread it around till the groves are filled it then scrap off the excesses. Then use that excess and some more TIM on the CPU and spread it around pretty evenly (you need a layer about 1-2 paper sheets thick), then press it down making sure you do not lift the cooler. Tighten it and your good to go
I actually did some tests a while back and found this method was the most effective by far. HDT coolers are very different than typical heatsinks, the gaps in between pipes need to be filled in and smoothed out before even applying the normal amount of thermal paste. Doing this beforehand, then putting thin lines of TIM on the base of the heatsink between the heatpipes gave me the best temps by 1-2C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainok go_quote.gif
Then, once the Maclovers feel safe and come out of hiding, we strike. Take their Macs, throw them into a huge pile, and burn them. Burn them into ash. Then put an Apple logo on that ash, and sell it back to them for $400 an ounce.
We'll be filthy rich.

post #9 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockedge View Post
I ordered the IC7 cause I ran out of MX-2. Also I'm going to be reinstalling my Dark Knight. DK is an HDT cooler, so what is a REALLY good way to apply the IC7 on those. I can't seem to get a straight answer on this anywhere.
My guide is the right way but you are going to have to use a little more than usually. Us a 7mm blob in the dead center of the CPU and follow my guide.

-

post #10 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slothfish View Post
I actually did some tests a while back and found this method was the most effective by far. HDT coolers are very different than typical heatsinks, the gaps in between pipes need to be filled in and smoothed out before even applying the normal amount of thermal paste. Doing this beforehand, then putting thin lines of TIM on the base of the heatsink between the heatpipes gave me the best temps by 1-2C.
Hm... But that cannot be done with IC7 because it is so freaking thick...

-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in