New Build in the Works...need some help - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

New Build in the Works...need some help

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 32)
ok guys, i have only built one computer (sig rig) and its time for an upgrade. i will be seeling it in the next week or two for some cash. i have been out of the hardware loop for a bit but now its time to get back in.

i have roughly $1200 to $1300 dollars to spend. if i must go higher, i must.
i would like to know the current postition on intel vs amd and nvidia vs ati.
this pc will be used for gaming and all around entertainment. i will be buying all new parts. id like 2 hard drives. preferably one for os and programs and the secondary for files. id say about 1tb will do for secondary. i will be running win7 as the os. i do have logitech z-5500 so i need a good sound card. graphics card, id have to say one high end card because its cheaper than two and probably cooler, temp wise. lots of RAM. i assume 8 gb is still the best way to go. i will be aircooling because i dont have much use for watercooling atm and i can always upgrade later. the case has to have a window panel and a back panel to hide the wires so it looks clean. id like blue lighting. i think i can just get like 2 blue LED tubes that hook into the PSU. thats all the info i can think of right now.

thanks for any help that is given

--Saint Louis Overclockers--

If you think rap sucks or isn't "real music", quit being pretentious and go sample something that isn't on the radio:
De La Soul, Lupe Fiasco, Common, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Brand Nubian, Canibus, A Tribe Called Quest, The Roots, Gang Starr, Digital Underground, (old) Kanye West, Immortal Technique, etc.

Better yet, try to make a 4 minute spoken word poem read to a beat that doesn't suck or sound corny if you think hip hop has no talent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 10:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 345 (Unique: 285)
Well... hmm. You could save a lot of money by buying a phenom II cpu and taking it to 3.8ghz. I own a 940BE, and it is nothing special, and I can get 3.7ghz 8 hrs prime 95 stable at around 1.55v. Hits load at around 63c at its peak lapped with a TRUE. A 955 will clock 100-200mhz higher on a good chip, so you can see the math. You motherboard could absolutely support a AM3 or AM2+ phenom II.

The phenom II though is about 5% slower clock for clock then the core2quads, although damn even in gaming. If you want to put all 1300 dollars to use, then you should go i7. A D0 stepping will hit 4.0ghz easy on air, and run circles around the competition in professional apps. As far as gaming goes though, there is only a handful of titles (less then five) that show any benefit to it over a core2quad for phenom II.

As far as video cards go, I have the top end HD 4890 and I love it to pieces. It can play crysis warhead enthusiasts settings with 2XAA without dropping below 21fps, and tending to hover around 26-30fps. Good enough for me. It is dead even with the GTX 275 from nvidia. If you want anything that is marketable better you need to get the GTX 285, which is as much as 10-15% faster then the 4890, both overclocked. A 4890 overclocked to 1000mhz core is about equal to the GTX 285 at stock.

If I were you, I would get a pair of 4890's, a 1080i monitor, a phenom II 955 CPU, and that is it. If you do professional stuff then you should take a hard look at i7. The money you save can be put towards cool stuff, like life, a fancy case, or maybe even a water cooling kit. Get one with a universal mount and it can last you a long time. With two or three 4890s (three prevides slightly more stable framerates) and a Phenom II at 3.6ghz+ there really isn't to many games you couldn't max out, and if you shop smart you could upgrade for much less then 1000 dollars. That is my recommendation.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 10:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
To sum it up for you real fast.

Intel i7 920 still beats the phenom II 955 but the phenom II is cheaper and does what games need done.

And ATI and nvidia are pretty close almost to close to call one better then the other.

With the i7 you get a motherboard that can support both sli and crossfire(so you can use what ever video card brand you please) and DDR3 the new ram.

AMD's Phenom II 955 comes out to be about 200 usd cheaper after you factor in the motherboard vs the intel build. but you will have to go ATI but you also get DDR3 ram.

Witch ever you choose you will not be disappointed but the AMD might fit your budget better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

yea. after looking at some prices, i think ill go with an AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

i dont know about video card yet though

If you think rap sucks or isn't "real music", quit being pretentious and go sample something that isn't on the radio:
De La Soul, Lupe Fiasco, Common, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Brand Nubian, Canibus, A Tribe Called Quest, The Roots, Gang Starr, Digital Underground, (old) Kanye West, Immortal Technique, etc.

Better yet, try to make a 4 minute spoken word poem read to a beat that doesn't suck or sound corny if you think hip hop has no talent.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 10:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/g...hmarks,58.html

This might help. I would recommend ATI if only because your motherboard supports crossfire. If you only want a single GPU solution then both makers have a lot to offer.

EDIT: There is always the GTX 295 too.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 11:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Yeah if your going AMD i would go with ATI. The AM3 boards do not support both sli and ddr3 ram together. Not yet anyways maybe in the future. So at the moment if you ever plan to use 2 cards ATI is the way to go for the cross fire.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

im going to go ati but im trying to find a good motherboard atm. on newegg

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

what are the big differences in mobos? i need atleast two hard drives. a sound card. one...maybe 2 vid cards. ram.

ive been seeing 1600 (o.c.) for ram. whats that mean?

also, vid cards. i know i want ati. id like 1 that will take everything i throw at it. basically, i need it fast. i dont want overheating to be a problem and i dont want it too noisy

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 11:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

That means the motherboard can support DDR3 up 1600, as an OC (not reading the SPD, has to be set manually in the bios). There is really not reason to get an AM3 motherboard, they are built on identical chipsets to AM2+ (710 or 750), the only difference is the bus allows the integrated DDR3 controller on some AM3 chips to be used. Think less then 10% difference in performance maximum, and that would be in multimedia apps and such were the memory would be used a fair bit.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

This is the motherboard i have chosen

now for the RAM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in