[EVENT] Radeon ExtravaLANza 2017 | November 18 & 19 | $9,000 in Prizes! Dota 2, CSGO, and Smash 4 Tournaments! - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[EVENT] Radeon ExtravaLANza 2017 | November 18 & 19 | $9,000 in Prizes! Dota 2, CSGO, and Smash 4 Tournaments!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #21 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 12:53 PM
PC Evangelist
 
ZealotKi11er's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto, CA
Posts: 46,560
Rep: 1806 (Unique: 1179)
Dam only 65 people so far.

Yamato
(10 items)
Ishimura
(13 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard
ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
GPU
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
RAM
G.SKILL Trident Z RGB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL14
Hard Drive
Samsung SM961 512GB
Hard Drive
HGST DeskStar NAS 6TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2
Cooling
Gamdias Chione M1A-280R
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C TG
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z77E-ITX
GPU
AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition
RAM
AVEXIR Blitz 1.1 16GB DDR3-2400MHz CL10
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
Cooling
Corsair H100i GTX
Case
Fractal Design Define Nano S
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Monitor
LG OLED55C7P
Keyboard
Cooler Master MasterKeys MK750
Mouse
Finalmouse Air58 Ninja
▲ hide details ▲


ZealotKi11er is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
T 0 P K 3 K
 
RikkAndrsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 589
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

Dam only 65 people so far.
To be fair the under performer here is Dota. It's really lagging behind the other two tournaments. There was also a lack of orgs wanting to run tournaments at the event which means we primarily only have the same tourneys from last year with bigger prize pools. OCN was a bit late to the party as well this year and while we'll be running PUBG and Rocket League they'll only be casual tournaments with hardware as prizes. It would have been nice to see Overwatch, LoL, and maybe even SC2 and Hearthstone. Lots of popular games out there but just a lack of people willing and able to help run an event.
RikkAndrsn is offline  
post #23 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 02:20 PM
PC Evangelist
 
ZealotKi11er's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto, CA
Posts: 46,560
Rep: 1806 (Unique: 1179)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikkAndrsn View Post

To be fair the under performer here is Dota. It's really lagging behind the other two tournaments. There was also a lack of orgs wanting to run tournaments at the event which means we primarily only have the same tourneys from last year with bigger prize pools. OCN was a bit late to the party as well this year and while we'll be running PUBG and Rocket League they'll only be casual tournaments with hardware as prizes. It would have been nice to see Overwatch, LoL, and maybe even SC2 and Hearthstone. Lots of popular games out there but just a lack of people willing and able to help run an event.

Dota 2 has way too many tournaments going on right now. Even so just from OCN alone we should have been able to fill at least 50 causal tickets. Maybe the time is bad being so close to finals for people in University.

Yamato
(10 items)
Ishimura
(13 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard
ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
GPU
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
RAM
G.SKILL Trident Z RGB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL14
Hard Drive
Samsung SM961 512GB
Hard Drive
HGST DeskStar NAS 6TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2
Cooling
Gamdias Chione M1A-280R
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C TG
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z77E-ITX
GPU
AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition
RAM
AVEXIR Blitz 1.1 16GB DDR3-2400MHz CL10
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
Cooling
Corsair H100i GTX
Case
Fractal Design Define Nano S
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Monitor
LG OLED55C7P
Keyboard
Cooler Master MasterKeys MK750
Mouse
Finalmouse Air58 Ninja
▲ hide details ▲


ZealotKi11er is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 02:23 PM
Retired Staff
 
H3||scr3am's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Woodstock, Ontario
Posts: 10,899
Rep: 315 (Unique: 243)
Won't be able to make it this year, short notice and simply bad timing, as it conflicts with some certification training I'm attending... Hope those that do attend enjoy it biggrin.gif

CISSP, ITIL v3 Foundations, CCENT, Cyber Security Analyst+, Security+, Linux+, Cloud+, Server+, Project+, Network+, A+, LPIC-1
Working on: CCNA


H3||scr3am is offline  
post #25 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 03:33 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
calvinL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 14
Rep: 0
Got a question, who can I contact to correct a mistake in the sign ups?

Trying to sign up for CS:GO but a teammate of mine signed up and paid for an open LAN spot even though I already purchased a team pass.
calvinL is offline  
post #26 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
T 0 P K 3 K
 
RikkAndrsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 589
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

Dota 2 has way too many tournaments going on right now. Even so just from OCN alone we should have been able to fill at least 50 causal tickets. Maybe the time is bad being so close to finals for people in University.
I believe our all time high casual ticket sales was in the 30s in 2013. At GGCon last year we sold ticket numbers only in the teens to casual tickets and the ExtravaLANza was something like 24 or 25. Realistically a lot of people complained about high ticket prices for a few of our past events and now we're selling less than ever so clearly it looks like having higher prices but with better prizing is the key to bringing people out. The underlying psychology is that by subsidizing the ticket cost you are indeed improving the value proposition but you're also lessening the expectation of a quality event in many ways.
RikkAndrsn is offline  
post #27 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 06:37 PM
PC Evangelist
 
ZealotKi11er's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto, CA
Posts: 46,560
Rep: 1806 (Unique: 1179)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikkAndrsn View Post

I believe our all time high casual ticket sales was in the 30s in 2013. At GGCon last year we sold ticket numbers only in the teens to casual tickets and the ExtravaLANza was something like 24 or 25. Realistically a lot of people complained about high ticket prices for a few of our past events and now we're selling less than ever so clearly it looks like having higher prices but with better prizing is the key to bringing people out. The underlying psychology is that by subsidizing the ticket cost you are indeed improving the value proposition but you're also lessening the expectation of a quality event in many ways.

Well as far as price goes the last one was horrible. $60 and still had to pay for food. This is normal price but compared to the stuff we had before it was not the best biggrin.gif. I do not mid the high price. Its only 1 time a year so its not bad. I think the problem here is people just do not know about this.

Yamato
(10 items)
Ishimura
(13 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard
ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
GPU
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
RAM
G.SKILL Trident Z RGB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL14
Hard Drive
Samsung SM961 512GB
Hard Drive
HGST DeskStar NAS 6TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2
Cooling
Gamdias Chione M1A-280R
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C TG
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z77E-ITX
GPU
AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition
RAM
AVEXIR Blitz 1.1 16GB DDR3-2400MHz CL10
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
Cooling
Corsair H100i GTX
Case
Fractal Design Define Nano S
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Monitor
LG OLED55C7P
Keyboard
Cooler Master MasterKeys MK750
Mouse
Finalmouse Air58 Ninja
▲ hide details ▲


ZealotKi11er is offline  
post #28 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
T 0 P K 3 K
 
RikkAndrsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 589
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

Well as far as price goes the last one was horrible. $60 and still had to pay for food. This is normal price but compared to the stuff we had before it was not the best biggrin.gif. I do not mid the high price. Its only 1 time a year so its not bad. I think the problem here is people just do not know about this.
As a not so secret secret you can literally chart ticket prices directly with the size of the budget AMD had for each event. Some events have had 3 to 4 times the budget while others have been run on basically nothing. It's ironic because we've had kind of a reverse value proposition in that the events where tickets have cost the least typically have way more to offer. By lowering the ticket prices dramatically what we're really saying is that we can't pull off an event that is twice as good with twice the funding for the same ticket price. Instead we're targeting executing about the same level of execution we had last year and basically giving back the portion of the ticket price we don't need.

This is a flaw with fixed budget funded events that are all considered independent one offs. If anything it shows that there is no real long term strategy looking as far forward as even the next event.
RikkAndrsn is offline  
post #29 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 08:25 PM
PC Evangelist
 
ZealotKi11er's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto, CA
Posts: 46,560
Rep: 1806 (Unique: 1179)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikkAndrsn View Post

As a not so secret secret you can literally chart ticket prices directly with the size of the budget AMD had for each event. Some events have had 3 to 4 times the budget while others have been run on basically nothing. It's ironic because we've had kind of a reverse value proposition in that the events where tickets have cost the least typically have way more to offer. By lowering the ticket prices dramatically what we're really saying is that we can't pull off an event that is twice as good with twice the funding for the same ticket price. Instead we're targeting executing about the same level of execution we had last year and basically giving back the portion of the ticket price we don't need.

This is a flaw with fixed budget funded events that are all considered independent one offs. If anything it shows that there is no real long term strategy looking as far forward as even the next event.

You would think AMD would have some overclocking event with Ryzen and Vega considering we had one when before with Piledriver. The last event seemed forced. I was expecting a lot this year from AMD considering the success in the CPU side but I guess the GPU/Vega/Toronto not so hot.

Yamato
(10 items)
Ishimura
(13 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard
ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
GPU
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
RAM
G.SKILL Trident Z RGB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL14
Hard Drive
Samsung SM961 512GB
Hard Drive
HGST DeskStar NAS 6TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2
Cooling
Gamdias Chione M1A-280R
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C TG
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z77E-ITX
GPU
AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition
RAM
AVEXIR Blitz 1.1 16GB DDR3-2400MHz CL10
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
Cooling
Corsair H100i GTX
Case
Fractal Design Define Nano S
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Monitor
LG OLED55C7P
Keyboard
Cooler Master MasterKeys MK750
Mouse
Finalmouse Air58 Ninja
▲ hide details ▲


ZealotKi11er is offline  
post #30 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
T 0 P K 3 K
 
RikkAndrsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 589
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)

FYI guys tomorrow is the 5th anniversary of ExtravaLANza's founding. That pic is of all the prizes we were able to get from sponsors.
RikkAndrsn is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off