The REP System Rebuild - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

The REP System Rebuild

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement

The REP System Rebuild

Hello all,

Over the past few weeks, you will have seen the REP system, or elements of it whether correct or otherwise appearing and disappearing. The devs have been at work collecting information and using various methods in order to bring us the REP System we remember and love. We have given them a comprehensive rundown of the REP System, so rest assured that instructions and expectations have been communicated. The REP system while on the surface looks like a simple enough concept, unfortunately this is far from the truth with regards to how we integrate it into other aspects of the forum and how to show it accurately and pleasingly from a visual standpoint.

The Rep system is a completely custom system, there are no templates for it nor any easy plugins and is 100% unique to OCN as a community. There are systems like it but not the same by any means, as such there is no ability to copy another system as a handy frame of reference which has been suggested by others. Even if there was, it has to operate within the scope of the VB platform and would still require work to be compatible. Like with all customized software, it takes time to get it right and for a development team to fully understand the workings of a system they have never encountered before.

We understand that it is disappointing to many that the system is not yet operational, but rest assured that works are being undertaken and under my direct supervision in order to make sure that we can get the REP system back in order and as close as to what we had before. Please also understand that the devs are also dealing with our other bug reports while putting systems into place (not just the Rep System), as such time is at a premium and we have to priortize as appropriate.

The OCN team and the VS dev team are working together bringing systems online and solving Bug reports as quick as humanly possible. We appreciate ALL the feedback given since the migration and we have and still continue to take that into account. Stick with us and help us get it right

All the best,
Overclock.net Team.

Need help with your account or something forum related ? Please use our Contact Us form

Last edited by ENTERPRISE; 03-12-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement

Hello all,

It has been a good while since I have had any updates so far as to the rebuild of the REP system. I am pleased to say that I have had a very fruitful call with our team over at VerticalScope. We now have a developer who will be undertaking the re-build of the REP system. The developer in question was one of our developers back from the good old days of 2004 when the site was first born, as such we have someone with prior technical knowledge of OCN as well as a technical expertise in VB.

As for a rough ETA. As I have bought in an outside developer to carry out the works, there is a legal process that must be completed prior to the access and coding stages. This should take a couple of weeks with a view to start development ASAP.

Realistically there are still some unknowns until our developer can investigate the system. With development and testing phases combined with the standard holiday season disruption towards the end of the year, I believe a launch of the system will happen early new year. If we can confidently bring this system live prior to then, we certainly will.

It has been a good long while without the REP System and there a multitude of factors for its delay. I apologise for the fact it has taken an unbelievable amount of time to get to this stage. Once I have further updates, I will be sure to post here.

Thank you for your continued dedication and patience,
ENTERPRISE

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement

Small update.

The contracts exchange between Developer and VS has taken much longer than expected, much to my disappointment. However, contracts are now exchanging. Unfortunately this has happened during the lead up to the Holiday Season which causes an additional few days delay. Once we hit January and after everyone has settled after the holidays we will start moving forward again. I will post updates when development has formally begun. Apologies for the delay. The good news is once we have all the red tape covered, the REP system can start making its way back to us and we can start exploring the other site improvements that we are looking to deploy making the experience smoother and adding additional functionality to the site.

All the best,
E

Need help with your account or something forum related ? Please use our Contact Us form

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement

Small update from our REP system developer BFRD

Quote:
I thought I would chime in here.

In March of last year Enterprise reached out to me and asked if I would be willing to help bring the REP system back online. I agreed and spent the next several months mired in red tape. I got access to a development site this weekend. Since that time I have the basic framework of the REP system rebuilt.

Here is what I mean by basic framework.

Reputation will be restored to whatever it was when the system was last working properly. I have validated that the database table is intact. I can't give an exact date as to when this data stopped being updated for reasons outside of my control.

Unique reputation will be calculated as the number of unique members that have given reputation.

Both numbers will be displayed in the user's postbit.

The user's rank will be displayed based on total reputation. Each rank attained will be signified by a single blue flame. Additional flames will be added at set intervals. These intervals are listed below:

1 flame at 25 rep
2 flames at 100 rep
3 flames at 250 rep
4 flames at 500 rep
5 flames at 750 rep

No user will ever have more than 5 flames.

That is it for the first stage of development. I have a "small-step" methodology when it comes to feature release. Rather than making a starved community wait for everything to be finished; I think it is best to roll out smaller portions as they are ready.

While the development has been completed there is still some additional testing to take place. I am hesitant to give an exact timeline as I am still unsure of how VS will roll out my changes. Just know that work is getting done. I had probably 50% of the development completed within 24 hours of getting access.

I have many fond memories of this forum and want to do my very best to get it back on track. I know there are several areas that need attention. Enterprise and I will do what we must to prioritize user experience. I wrote a simple solution for spam control in my first tenure here, I think we would like to see that put back in place.

I have read through this thread and appreciate your patience.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/22-o...l#post27828116

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 06:59 PM
Senior Moderators

It is great to know that BFRD is handling this! Thank you for all your hard-work gentlemen!

Quote:
The man never feels the want of what it never occurs to him to ask for. - Arthur Schopenhauer

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement

Hello all,

It has been a long road to getting the REP system back in place, however today I have good news ! Thanks to BFRD and his coding efforts, he has submitted his work to VS for implementation on OCN. After speaking with VS, the implementation of the code will be moving forward tomorrow morning (21/2/19) at 9-10 CST. Please note that as the database will go under some extensive queries, you may notice site lag or brief outage. Rest assured that we and the VS team will be on at the time of release to make sure the implementation goes smoothly.

As we all know sometimes implementing new code and queries can sometimes have undesired effects. We will keep an eye out for any bugs or anything out of the ordinary with a view to putting out a remedy as soon as possible.

Once again, many thanks to @BFRD for all his works on this project !

All the best,
E

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement

Well that wraps it up. The REP system has been successfully re-integrated into the site. If there are any Bugs with the REP system that you identify, please post these here : https://www.overclock.net/forum/1779...it-bug-report/
Please note that from here on in there will be no functional or cosmetic changes made to the system.

Many Thanks,
E

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in