Homepage Exposure Refresh - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Homepage Exposure Refresh

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement

Homepage Exposure Refresh

Hello all,

So we have already had a couple of iterations of the homepage exposure where we promote OCN related content, we however were still not happy with it in its current form. As such we have been at work at creating a new version which we are looking to make live as soon as possible. Before we do, please see below for a sneak peak (Note different images for different screen Layouts)

There is not a lot of difference, but we have chosen to remove the text overlay from the images as it intruded on the artwork and made it hard to appreciate the graphics.

All the best,
E

Need help with your account or something forum related ? Please use our Contact Us form

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 04:49 AM
Waiting for 7nm EUV

Rep: 900 (Unique: 504)
Removing the text overlay from the pictures seems like a decent idea, as the pictures regarding product reviews have the explaining text in there already. Btw, in the examples above one of the pictures doesn't match with the description, it's switched with another, the Netgear and the Valve one.

Could you please explain the layout differences between picture 1, 2 and 3? Is picture nr. 2 a new narrower desktop format?

Also, are the pictures still going to behave in that way, with the pictures becoming much larger (the top ones even more so) if the screen width is lower than a certain threshold?

Finally, in the three examples provided above, I'm assuming, judging by the dates in the notices and the news themselves, that the forum listings beneath the dual "Latest Discussions" and "News" columns are missing because you're working with an older template, right?

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement

The behaviour with the image sizes that adjust upon screen size/resolution will not be changing. As such you will sometimes have two larger images over 3 smaller ones. As for dates and any other elements in those screenshots, you can ignore them completely as what you are looking at is an old template.

The three different screenshots as I semi eluded to above is due to screen size scaling and is not any new skin/slim format.

Need help with your account or something forum related ? Please use our Contact Us form

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 01:23 PM
Waiting for 7nm EUV

Thanks for clarifying, but how exactly can you recreate what you see in picture nr. 2?

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement

Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
Thanks for clarifying, but how exactly can you recreate what you see in picture nr. 2?
If you are referring to the swapped images, I am not sure of the exact cause but this was with a test module, so some issues would be expected. Upon release however these issues would be rectified.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 01:49 PM
Waiting for 7nm EUV

No, I meant regarding the narrower format, since the global site width, judging by the floating header, seems around the same as in picture nr. 3.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 05:07 PM
Waiting for 7nm EUV

Just one more question: I noticed and was pleasantly surprised to see that your first post was unusually tidy when it came to the posting of the screenshots part; no attached thumbnails or attached pictures section at the end, as if we were back to the good old Huddler days, so I went looking to see if VS had finally made the picture uploading and display system less archaic and convoluted, but it turns out that you posted the screenshots on a third party host (tinypic) instead of OCN, why is that?

Is the image uploading and self hosting functionality going away?

Last edited by tpi2007; 04-10-2018 at 05:10 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement

No, I meant regarding the narrower format, since the global site width, judging by the floating header, seems around the same as in picture nr. 3.
I will see if I can get an answer on that one as I did not develop this directly.

Just one more question: I noticed and was pleasantly surprised to see that your first post was unusually tidy when it came to the posting of the screenshots part; no attached thumbnails or attached pictures section at the end, as if we were back to the good old Huddler days, so I went looking to see if VS had finally made the picture uploading and display system less archaic and convoluted, but it turns out that you posted the screenshots on a third party host (tinypic) instead of OCN, why is that?

Image Hosting functionality is staying. I just popped them up on another host just out of autopilot.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 04:15 AM
News Fiend

Looks better. Although I'm still not a fan of the strange picture sizing.

Pretty sure I've explained this to you elsewhere but this is entirely possible with the current picture system it is just a tad clunky. Upload the files you want in post via paperclip/manage attachments/drag and drop and then use the paperclip drop down or [attach] tags to place in the post.

The double paperclip method is explained here https://www.overclock.net/forum/15167...our-posts.html

Meh '12
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
XFX Fury X
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 F4-3200C14D-16GTZSW
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 512GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro-Series
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB Enterprise NAS SATA (ST4000VN0001)
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Drive WD1003FZEX
Power Supply
SEASONIC PLATINUM-860 860W RT
Cooling
Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS Radiator x2
Cooling
Monsoon MMRS Reservoir + D5 pump + mountings
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm Neo Metal
Cooling
EKWB Fury X
Cooling
Monsoon Free Center 1/2ID 3/4OD fittings + Rotaries + plug + Temp probe
Cooling
BeQuiet SilentWings 3 High Speed PWM x 9
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 27" IPS 27UK650
Keyboard
Massdrop CTRL
Mouse
Logitech g403
Mousepad
HAYATE KOU FX SOFT NINJA Black L
Audio
Blue Yeti Black
Audio
Massdrop x AKG K7XX
Other
LIAN LI O11D-1X ,Riser Cable and cover bracket for PC-O11D
CPU
i5 3570k
Motherboard
Z77x-UD5H
GPU
Zotac 670 GTX AMP!
RAM
G.Skill f3-2400c10D-16gtx
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 128GB
Optical Drive
Some old thing
Power Supply
Seasonic platinum 860w
Cooling
Custom water
Case
Customized Thermaltake Armor
Operating System
Win 10 pro
Monitor
Dell U2413
Keyboard
Ducky Shine
Mouse
Logi G502
▲ hide details ▲

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 08:31 AM
Waiting for 7nm EUV

Quote: Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE View Post
I will see if I can get an answer on that one as I did not develop this directly.

Image Hosting functionality is staying. I just popped them up on another host just out of autopilot.

Thanks Enterprise.

Quote: Originally Posted by ryan92084 View Post
Pretty sure I've explained this to you elsewhere but this is entirely possible with the current picture system it is just a tad clunky. Upload the files you want in post via paperclip/manage attachments/drag and drop and then use the paperclip drop down or [attach] tags to place in the post.

The double paperclip method is explained here https://www.overclock.net/forum/15167...our-posts.html

You may have, but I must have missed it because it's seemingly the first time I'm reading that post you just linked to. I recall a discussion with TwoCables where he tried to make the attached thumbnails / pictures section go away but it didn't work so I thought that was the end of it, after having read about the initial workarounds of drag and drop and then going for the url and then using it in the insert image box.

Ok, let's try it then, following those instructions:

Name:  2 billion Rep points 2.png
Views: 157
Size:  12.2 KB

Edit: It works! Why on earth do we have the drag and drop capability then? It's the clunkiest thing ever and it uses up space beneath the edit box (along with those mostly useless "Post Icons", but before the fundamental "Save Changes" and "Preview Changes" buttons.

If I had known about this system before, I would have been using it instead. Thanks Ryan! I wish I would have noticed this before, thanks for letting me know.

Edit 2: I just noticed, I don't have the attachment icon on the editor when in quick reply mode (the one that shows up in every page). We should have the advanced editor show up always.

Last edited by tpi2007; 04-11-2018 at 08:39 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in