Overclock.net Revised Policies 2018 - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Overclock.net Revised Policies 2018

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 05:37 AM
Senioritis Member

Rep: 533 (Unique: 335)
Quote: Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE View Post
...B. Deleted due to a ToS Breach. Users will be notified of a content issue via Warning or Infraction...
Is this something new since it hasn't always been done in the past? It would be a welcome change if done every time.

...As for Grawlixes, I will added this to the current policies. We will treat these as we do with the filtering system whereby its infrequent use is fine...
OK, that second sentence went right over my head, especially the filtering system part (then again, it may just be a lack of sleep or good old fashioned senility on my part). Define infrequent? Subjectivity, while often unavoidable, can be dangerous.

Jeannie
CPU
i7-3930k
Motherboard
ASUS P9X79 WS
GPU
MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
GPU
Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter
RAM
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K8/32GX
Hard Drive
128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Optical Drive
LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive CH12LS28
Power Supply
Corsair HX750W
Cooling
COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Sleeve CPU Cooler
Case
Antec Two Hundred v2
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
Monitor
3 x Asus VG248QE
Monitor
Vizio VO320E 32" TV
Keyboard
Logitech G510s
Mouse
Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving
Audio
Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers
Audio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card
Other
LSI 9211-8i HBA card
Other
HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in-One Front Panel Internal Card Reader (6 Memory Slots, Genesys GL3220 Chipset) & SuperSpeed USB 3.0 3-Port Hub (VIA VL800 Chipset), can read & write: M2/MS Micro, High-Speed CF(UDMA), UHS-I, SD, SDHC,...
Other
StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Hot Swap SATA Mobile Rack Backplane
CPU
i7-5930K Haswell-e
Motherboard
Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1
GPU
Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports
RAM
G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive
Power Supply
Corsair AX760
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler
Case
Scratch built. Currently under construction at https://www.overclock.net/t/1602023/preparing-for-a-scratch-built-case
Operating System
Win 7 Ultimate
Mouse
Logitech M525
Mouse
El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 10-19-2018 at 05:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 05:48 AM
Hey I get one of these!

Rep: 321 (Unique: 222)
Deletions can come in two forms.

A. Deleted just as a general cleanup should a user be quoting or copying another users ''Bad'' content, we will not notify said user automatically in these instances. This also includes multiple posts relating to the same issue, or for general arguing to a point where the discussion is disrupted.

B. Deleted due to a ToS Breach. Users will be notified of a content issue via Warning or Infraction

The ToS is fairly large, but covers the bases. Granted some users may not want to read the rules, but that is a user choice. Should the user breach the ToS due to lack of knowledge of the rules they are messaged or given a warning in the first instance to educate.

You are correct that ''Rude'' can be subjective, this is when if a user is unhappy with a deletion or official action taken against them, they can dispute it with the Managing Moderator. What one considers rude, another may consider it as toeing the line. Unfortunately there is no concrete definition of Rude that people can follow 100% to the letter as our interpretations will all differ. This is why we have a management structure so that we can look at a disputed case and make a final decision.

As for Grawlixes, I will added this to the current policies. We will treat these as we do with the filtering system whereby its infrequent use is fine.

If anyone wants to question a deleted post or staff member then I encourage them to message Lemans81 who is our Managing Moderator and he will be happy to look into it

Thanks,
E
Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
OK, that second sentence went right over my head, especially the filtering system part (then again, it may just be a lack of sleep or good old fashioned senility on my part). Define infrequent? Subjectivity, while often unavoidable, can be dangerous.

Agreed, what is this definition of "infrequency"?

I have seen no such attitude from anyone, up to and including getting flagged for actually typing *** as three asterisks (so is this one mods) and NOT a filtered word, in quote marks clearly denoting it as a mimic of something someone says and not my own argument, as the only post to contain them in a 20 page thread. Am I to expect that Grawlixes will be handled the same way where it's just completely on a whim where it is sometimes fine and sometimes not? It clearly denotes foul language after all.

Why bother adding it to the TOS as "acceptable" at all if a mod can decide that it's never acceptable? I can forward you an example of an in practice totalitarian opinion on the matter if you like. It shows plenty well that even the current "infrequent use is ok" is a lie.

Forge
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Master
GPU
AMD 5700XT PowerColor Devil
RAM
32GB G.Skill TridentZ Neo (2x16GB 3600Mhz/C16)
Hard Drive
Intel 900P 480GB
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Cooling
Corsair H150i
Case
Phanteks Evolv X
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise x64
Monitor
2x Acer XR341CK
Keyboard
Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB
Mouse
Corsair Vengeance M65 RGB
Audio
Sennheiser HD700
Audio
Sound Blaster AE-9
Audio
Audio Technica AT4040
▲ hide details ▲
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 08:51 AM
Mr.4way SLI

Rep: 197 (Unique: 177)
Do you have any examples for me to look at ? By default we do not inform every user as to why their post was deleted as this would add a fair bit of extra work if we were to do this for every case, this is a large forum and we do get a fair few reports. Users who would like an explanation can contact Lemans81 (Managing Moderator) as we have always detailed the reasons to users should they have an interest in discovering why their post/thread was removed.

E
Yes the example was that the user was having issues with a board/bios that at the time aren't fixed so I said get rid of the issue plagued Asus board for an ASRock board and my comment was deleted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement

Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Is this something new since it hasn't always been done in the past? It would be a welcome change if done every time.

ToS breaches generally speaking have always resulted in a Warning/Infraction where appropriate which includes a message as to why this has happened. This is not to say that this happens 100% of the time as nobdy is perfect but the team strive to do this.

As per the new policies, we will be allowing the infrequent use of *****, whereby vulgar words get caught by the system. In the past a user would be reprimanded even if the swearfilter where to catch out the bad words. Infrequent will be more defined when I revise the policy but I am going to state that a user can have up to three instances of bad language in any one post used which will appear as ****. This policy will also cover grawlixes. If a user is using badwords excessively in a thread making it difficult/undesireable to read then we would speak to the user.

Quote: Originally Posted by KyadCK View Post
Agreed, what is this definition of "infrequency"?

I have seen no such attitude from anyone, up to and including getting flagged for actually typing *** as three asterisks (so is this one mods) and NOT a filtered word, in quote marks clearly denoting it as a mimic of something someone says and not my own argument, as the only post to contain them in a 20 page thread. Am I to expect that Grawlixes will be handled the same way where it's just completely on a whim where it is sometimes fine and sometimes not? It clearly denotes foul language after all.

Why bother adding it to the TOS as "acceptable" at all if a mod can decide that it's never acceptable? I can forward you an example of an in practice totalitarian opinion on the matter if you like. It shows plenty well that even the current "infrequent use is ok" is a lie.

Feel free to forward this to me via PM.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 02:57 AM
in da freezing hell

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Do you have any examples for me to look at ? By default we do not inform every user as to why their post was deleted as this would add a fair bit of extra work if we were to do this for every case, this is a large forum and we do get a fair few reports. Users who would like an explanation can contact Lemans81 (Managing Moderator) as we have always detailed the reasons to users should they have an interest in discovering why their post/thread was removed.

E
I have one more. This was a post about the latest Tomb Raider game. Can't find the thread again ...
My post was not even polemic nor containing any badwords. It just vanished. No pm, nothing.

I basically explained, in this post, how I've always been put down by the huge breasts nature of the heroin of the franchise ... This post is quoted by another poster.

Marvin
(16 items)
CPU
Intel Core i5-4690K [email protected] GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus VII Impact mini-itx
GPU
Asus GeForce GTX 970 DirectCU Mini
RAM
Trident X, 2 X 8 Go, 2400 MHz, CAS 10
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 512GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop SSHD, 2TB
Power Supply
Corsair HX850i
Cooling
Corsair H90
Case
Thermaltake Core V1
Operating System
W7
Operating System
SteamOS
Monitor
Big Samsung TV screen, sofa operated
Keyboard
Logitech K810
Mouse
Logitech G602
Audio
Bose Soundtouch 1300
Other
Steam Controler
▲ hide details ▲
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 03:04 AM
in da freezing hell

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
By default we do not inform every user as to why their post was deleted as this would add a fair bit of extra work if we were to do this for every case, this is a large forum and we do get a fair few reports. Users who would like an explanation can contact Lemans81 (Managing Moderator) as we have always detailed the reasons to users should they have an interest in discovering why their post/thread was removed.

E
Not contacting users with an explanation results in frustration. You come the next day and see your post is out with no reason given.
This, combined with the very random nature of posts deletion is gonna kick everyone out of here.

You guys really need to fix this ... Now.

Marvin
(16 items)
CPU
Intel Core i5-4690K [email protected] GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus VII Impact mini-itx
GPU
Asus GeForce GTX 970 DirectCU Mini
RAM
Trident X, 2 X 8 Go, 2400 MHz, CAS 10
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 512GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop SSHD, 2TB
Power Supply
Corsair HX850i
Cooling
Corsair H90
Case
Thermaltake Core V1
Operating System
W7
Operating System
SteamOS
Monitor
Big Samsung TV screen, sofa operated
Keyboard
Logitech K810
Mouse
Logitech G602
Audio
Bose Soundtouch 1300
Other
Steam Controler
▲ hide details ▲
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement

Quote: Originally Posted by termathor View Post
By default we do not inform every user as to why their post was deleted as this would add a fair bit of extra work if we were to do this for every case, this is a large forum and we do get a fair few reports. Users who would like an explanation can contact Lemans81 (Managing Moderator) as we have always detailed the reasons to users should they have an interest in discovering why their post/thread was removed.

E
Not contacting users with an explanation results in frustration. You come the next day and see your post is out with no reason given.
This, combined with the very random nature of posts deletion is gonna kick everyone out of here.

You guys really need to fix this ... Now.
This is not something new. We have operated this way since 2004 due to the workload required, but this is because its a manual operation. However im looking to see if we can implement an automated notification so a user is notified a post has been removed. More to come on that .

Need help with your account or something forum related ? Please use our Contact Us form

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 08:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 60 (Unique: 49)
Had one of my threads disappear in the Intel CPU section which simply had a link to a delid video showing it's merits on a 9900k. If a member hadn't responded to it I might have thought I forgot to push the reply button. The only reason I could think it may have been deleted might have been the edit comment about this forum is killing me or something like that. And it's the truth, I have to switch to mobile mode to get an log out option, top right user icon does nothing for me in desktop mode. Peoples attached pictures just show the words attached, have to switch to mobile view to get a clickable link. I appreciate one or two adds to help with running costs but 60+ on one page, each with a half width or full width 100k+ picture to go and only increases while trying to scroll to the bottom of the page. For me since using OCN from a year or so ago ir has become pretty much FUBAR. You could delete this post as well I guess rather than fix / acknowledge the situation. I do hope it does get fixed but until then farewell.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement

Quote: Originally Posted by ucode View Post
Had one of my threads disappear in the Intel CPU section which simply had a link to a delid video showing it's merits on a 9900k. If a member hadn't responded to it I might have thought I forgot to push the reply button. The only reason I could think it may have been deleted might have been the edit comment about this forum is killing me or something like that. And it's the truth, I have to switch to mobile mode to get an log out option, top right user icon does nothing for me in desktop mode. Peoples attached pictures just show the words attached, have to switch to mobile view to get a clickable link. I appreciate one or two adds to help with running costs but 60+ on one page, each with a half width or full width 100k+ picture to go and only increases while trying to scroll to the bottom of the page. For me since using OCN from a year or so ago ir has become pretty much FUBAR. You could delete this post as well I guess rather than fix / acknowledge the situation. I do hope it does get fixed but until then farewell.
Can you link to the thread in question and I can take a look ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in