Overclock.net Revised Policies 2018 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Overclock.net Revised Policies 2018

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement
 
ENTERPRISE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: England,UK
Posts: 64,246
Overclock.net Revised Policies 2018

Hello all,

Myself and the team have finished revising our policies for Overclock.net so far as our Community Guidelines and our Professionalism Initiative.

Why the change?

We feel that all policies should be looked at from time to time and updated where required to either better reflect the times or to stay in line with the shifting attitudes of the community and the internet as a whole. We of course will always make sure that while changing policies, we uphold our core values.

Ultimately with myself taking leadership of OCN, I thought it was a good time to delve into our policies. While we aim to please all our members, undoubtedly, we will not achieve this. However, I am hoping these revisions will accommodate the majority.

I would ask that everyone take the time to familiarise yourselves with the new and existing policies.

Many Thanks,
ENTERPRISE


ENTERPRISE is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 10:44 AM
Waiting for 7nm EUV
 
tpi2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,486
Rep: 900 (Unique: 504)
Can you give as a walkthrough / summary / main points of what exactly changed?

Related to that, and regarding the Community Guidelines, I'm not sure I'm looking at anything new to begin with because upon clicking on the first link you provided I'm greeted with this right at the top:

Quote:
Community Guidelines

on November 10, 2011


tpi2007 is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 10:53 AM
9 Cans of Ravioli
 
The Pook's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18,858
Rep: 1461 (Unique: 735)
Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
I'm not sure I'm looking at anything new to begin with because upon clicking on the first link you provided I'm greeted with this right at the top:

on November 10, 2011

Similarly, all the rules outlining how to use the rep system and who you can or can't give it to

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.5%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
NUC U
(9 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 4133 32GB
Hard Drive
XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe 2TB
Hard Drive
HP EX950 NVMe 2TB
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 860 1TB RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue 4TB SSD
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Cooling
Raijintek Morpheus II
Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2
Operating System
Windows 10 Education x64
Monitor
Acer XF270HU 27" 1440p
Monitor
LG 24UD58 24" 4K
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MK730 (MX Blue)
Mouse
Glorious Model D
Mousepad
X-Ray 27" x 14"
Audio
Klipsch PowerGate
Audio
Schiit Hel
Audio
Micca RB42
Audio
Philips Fidelio X2
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
CPU
i3 8109U
Motherboard
Intel NUC8i3BEH
GPU
Iris Plus 655
RAM
Kingston DDR4 2400 16GB
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 480GB
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional
Keyboard
Dierya DK63 60% (Outemu Blue)
Mouse
Logitech G603
▲ hide details ▲


The Pook is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement
 
ENTERPRISE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: England,UK
Posts: 64,246
Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
Can you give as a walkthrough / summary / main points of what exactly changed?

Related to that, and regarding the Community Guidelines, I'm not sure I'm looking at anything new to begin with because upon clicking on the first link you provided I'm greeted with this right at the top:

Good catch, this has now been revised.


Quote: Originally Posted by The Pook View Post
Similarly, all the rules outlining how to use the rep system and who you can or can't give it to

How do you mean ?


ENTERPRISE is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 11:19 AM
9 Cans of Ravioli
 
The Pook's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18,858
Rep: 1461 (Unique: 735)
Quote: Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE View Post
How do you mean ?

rep system has been gone for nearly a year?

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.5%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
NUC U
(9 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 4133 32GB
Hard Drive
XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe 2TB
Hard Drive
HP EX950 NVMe 2TB
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 860 1TB RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue 4TB SSD
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Cooling
Raijintek Morpheus II
Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2
Operating System
Windows 10 Education x64
Monitor
Acer XF270HU 27" 1440p
Monitor
LG 24UD58 24" 4K
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MK730 (MX Blue)
Mouse
Glorious Model D
Mousepad
X-Ray 27" x 14"
Audio
Klipsch PowerGate
Audio
Schiit Hel
Audio
Micca RB42
Audio
Philips Fidelio X2
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
CPU
i3 8109U
Motherboard
Intel NUC8i3BEH
GPU
Iris Plus 655
RAM
Kingston DDR4 2400 16GB
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 480GB
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional
Keyboard
Dierya DK63 60% (Outemu Blue)
Mouse
Logitech G603
▲ hide details ▲


The Pook is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement
 
ENTERPRISE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: England,UK
Posts: 64,246
Quote: Originally Posted by The Pook View Post
rep system has been gone for nearly a year?

I saw no logical reason to remove it, to then place it back in again and re-advise users of another policy change. As it is returning, it is still relevant as the use of the REP system will not be changing


ENTERPRISE is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 01:26 PM
Mr.4way SLI
 
Moparman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Farmington MO
Posts: 5,516
Rep: 197 (Unique: 177)
Here is a thought that might want looked into. I feel that the communist dictatorship that we have now going around deleting posts instead of talking to the person about them or giving reasons why is getting pretty old. I'm tired of my posts and others being deleted because some mod doesn't like what is posted even though it doesn't break TOS..
Moparman is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement
 
ENTERPRISE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: England,UK
Posts: 64,246
Quote: Originally Posted by Moparman View Post
Here is a thought that might want looked into. I feel that the communist dictatorship that we have now going around deleting posts instead of talking to the person about them or giving reasons why is getting pretty old. I'm tired of my posts and others being deleted because some mod doesn't like what is posted even though it doesn't break TOS..
Do you have any examples for me to look at ? By default we do not inform every user as to why their post was deleted as this would add a fair bit of extra work if we were to do this for every case, this is a large forum and we do get a fair few reports. Users who would like an explanation can contact Lemans81 (Managing Moderator) as we have always detailed the reasons to users should they have an interest in discovering why their post/thread was removed.

E


ENTERPRISE is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 04:36 AM
Senioritis Member
 
Lady Fitzgerald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: AZ, SSA (Squabbling States of America)
Posts: 8,348
Rep: 533 (Unique: 335)
Quote: Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE View Post
...By default we do not inform every user as to why their post was deleted as this would add a fair bit of extra work if we were to do this for every case...
This is a pet peeve of mine. In many, if not most, cases, the poster of a deleted post would not even know the poster's posts were being deleted and keep on transgressing unless notified. I realize that notifying posters of deletions every time would be more work for the mods but, if the transgression was serious enough to warrant deletion, then it also warrants notifying the poster of the action. As the old adage goes, anything worth doing is worth doing right.

Face it, the TOS is a massive wall of text and it is easy to miss an occasional detail (OCN is the most prudish forum I'm on, not that I'm advocating the other extreme, such as the prolific profanity allowed on LTT). Also, what constitutes a violation can be highly subjective at times (such as what is considered rude), not to mention some of the restrictions are just a bit extreme (the ban on grawlixes, for example, which the TOS calls symbols; for crying out loud, they are frequently used in newspaper comics read by children and are harmless unless they are used with letters that make it clear a specific profanity is being used). Forum management has the right to set the rules but they should enforce them evenly. For example, I had a mod (a new one; new mods are often overzealous, much like rookie cops and newly promoted bosses) follow my posts and deleting posts I had been using banned initials in (an unintentional violation of the TOS) before finally notifying me of it. Some of the threads my deleted posts were in contained the same violation made by others that were not deleted. I had even quoted one of those posts in a post of mine that was deleted. The mod did far more work following me around (I seriously doubt anyone reported any of them, let alone all of them) and deleting several of my posts than would have been required to have informed me of the violation the first time he moderated it.

Jeannie
CPU
i7-3930k
Motherboard
ASUS P9X79 WS
GPU
MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
GPU
Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter
RAM
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K8/32GX
Hard Drive
128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Optical Drive
LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive CH12LS28
Power Supply
Corsair HX750W
Cooling
COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Sleeve CPU Cooler
Case
Antec Two Hundred v2
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
Monitor
3 x Asus VG248QE
Monitor
Vizio VO320E 32" TV
Keyboard
Logitech G510s
Mouse
Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving
Audio
Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers
Audio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card
Other
LSI 9211-8i HBA card
Other
HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in-One Front Panel Internal Card Reader (6 Memory Slots, Genesys GL3220 Chipset) & SuperSpeed USB 3.0 3-Port Hub (VIA VL800 Chipset), can read & write: M2/MS Micro, High-Speed CF(UDMA), UHS-I, SD, SDHC,...
Other
StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Hot Swap SATA Mobile Rack Backplane
CPU
i7-5930K Haswell-e
Motherboard
Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1
GPU
Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports
RAM
G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive
Power Supply
Corsair AX760
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler
Case
Scratch built. Currently under construction at https://www.overclock.net/t/1602023/preparing-for-a-scratch-built-case
Operating System
Win 7 Ultimate
Mouse
Logitech M525
Mouse
El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic
▲ hide details ▲
Lady Fitzgerald is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement
 
ENTERPRISE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: England,UK
Posts: 64,246
Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
This is a pet peeve of mine. In many, if not most, cases, the poster of a deleted post would not even know the poster's posts were being deleted and keep on transgressing unless notified. I realize that notifying posters of deletions every time would be more work for the mods but, if the transgression was serious enough to warrant deletion, then it also warrants notifying the poster of the action. As the old adage goes, anything worth doing is worth doing right.

Face it, the TOS is a massive wall of text and it is easy to miss an occasional detail (OCN is the most prudish forum I'm on, not that I'm advocating the other extreme, such as the prolific profanity allowed on LTT). Also, what constitutes a violation can be highly subjective at times (such as what is considered rude), not to mention some of the restrictions are just a bit extreme (the ban on grawlixes, for example, which the TOS calls symbols; for crying out loud, they are frequently used in newspaper comics read by children and are harmless unless they are used with letters that make it clear a specific profanity is being used). Forum management has the right to set the rules but they should enforce them evenly. For example, I had a mod (a new one; new mods are often overzealous, much like rookie cops and newly promoted bosses) follow my posts and deleting posts I had been using banned initials in (an unintentional violation of the TOS) before finally notifying me of it. Some of the threads my deleted posts were in contained the same violation made by others that were not deleted. I had even quoted one of those posts in a post of mine that was deleted. The mod did far more work following me around (I seriously doubt anyone reported any of them, let alone all of them) and deleting several of my posts than would have been required to have informed me of the violation the first time he moderated it.
Deletions can come in two forms.

A. Deleted just as a general cleanup should a user be quoting or copying another users ''Bad'' content, we will not notify said user automatically in these instances. This also includes multiple posts relating to the same issue, or for general arguing to a point where the discussion is disrupted.

B. Deleted due to a ToS Breach. Users will be notified of a content issue via Warning or Infraction

The ToS is fairly large, but covers the bases. Granted some users may not want to read the rules, but that is a user choice. Should the user breach the ToS due to lack of knowledge of the rules they are messaged or given a warning in the first instance to educate.

You are correct that ''Rude'' can be subjective, this is when if a user is unhappy with a deletion or official action taken against them, they can dispute it with the Managing Moderator. What one considers rude, another may consider it as toeing the line. Unfortunately there is no concrete definition of Rude that people can follow 100% to the letter as our interpretations will all differ. This is why we have a management structure so that we can look at a disputed case and make a final decision.

As for Grawlixes, I will added this to the current policies. We will treat these as we do with the filtering system whereby its infrequent use is fine.

If anyone wants to question a deleted post or staff member then I encourage them to message Lemans81 who is our Managing Moderator and he will be happy to look into it

Thanks,
E


ENTERPRISE is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off