Overclock.net Xenforo Migration 2020 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Overclock.net Xenforo Migration 2020

post #1 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement

Overclock.net Xenforo Migration 2020

Hello all,

For a while now we have been eluding to an impending site migration, hence why some of the sites current bugs and functionality issues have remained up till now as there was little point patching a system that will be altogether replaced in the near future, however we of course still want to apologize for the pain it has been dealing with a flaky platform for a fair while now. Trust me we hear you ! We also use the site and get just as frustrated when things that should work, don't. Before I go into further detail, please see an announcement from the owners of Overclock.net, VerticalScope.

Quote:

Dear Community Members,

Over the past year or two, there have been updates to the environment that have introduced challenges in usability and performance. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface, and site performance has revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software this site uses. This has made it increasingly difficult and frustrating to support and upgrade to more modern reliable standards that users deserve. Our advertising experience and certain ad partners have further degraded the functionality of the site. This is not the experience we want for the members of this community.

Members want a fast site that performs well across all devices, to be able to find relevant and interesting content, and easily share through text, images, video and messaging on a secure platform. Our goal is to provide this ultimate user experience to all members.

We will be implementing a new platform to better meet the needs of this community and allow us to provide support more efficiently. Our focus is to create a sustainable platform that performs well, and loads faster on all devices, while offering seamless ways to search and connect. Technology is constantly innovating - by creating an environment that we control we can maintain the site with more frequent improvements and maintenance updates.

Although change can be difficult, we are here to support you through the process. We make every effort to review existing settings and make the changes needed so the migration goes smoothly. If you notice something doesn’t seem correct once the site goes live, don’t panic! We’ll have a dedicated person monitoring as the site goes live to answer any questions and provide support through this change.

What’s next?

I bet you’re thinking, “What does this mean for me and the community?” It does mean change, but it will help solve a large majority of the issues that this site may have been experiencing. We have reviewed reported issues, site statistics, traffic data, and user feedback to help us prioritize the changes and improvements. Uploading an image or video will be easier and streamlined. Ad formatting will change with a new site layout. The site will be more responsive - there is no need to use a mobile skin or special app! Security and user privacy will continue to be a top priority.

When will this be happening? Soon! We recognize the user experience is slow and there are bugs from the outdated software. The sooner we can change that the better we can make the experience for you. You’ll start to see activity related to cleanup in preparation for migration very shortly. We will post an announcement to the community prior to starting the actual data migration. Once the migration begins, the site will go into maintenance mode and will be read-only while data is being migrated.

We appreciate each member’s contribution to this community and look forward to an improved experience for you all.
So now that we have heard from VerticalScope, lets get into some specifics.

What are we migrating to?

We will be migrating over to the Xenforo platform. Some of you will already be aware of it and if not it is still likely you have used sites using the platform. Many of you will have heard of IGN, they use the same software platform as do other popular sites such as Toms Hardware and Anandtech.

When is this happening?

The migration will be happening in approximately 40 days from the date of this post. However with these types of moves, there can sometimes be bumps in the road which may call for a slight delay.

Uh Oh...we have been here before !

We all very much understand the concerns that some of you will have with respects to the site migrating again. We all know last time as very difficult and there were many things broken and left broken to date. It has been rough on all those who use OCN and made it their home from home. So I will take a moment to give you the transparency that everyone here deserves, we have a bumpy road ahead. The transition to Xenforo will not be seamless, upon launch important core features of the site will be unavailable or in a static state, let's go through it.

Reputation System: VerticalScope is aiming to port this system over in a static state only while the new system is developed. What does that mean ? Well what this means is that the Rep statistics will still be available to view as you do now, including the flames you have earned up until the point of migration. However as the system will be static, you will not be able to give users rep during this time.

Rigbuilder: This system will not be available at launch as it needs to be redeveloped for use on the new platform. The database of user rigs will be saved and ported over to the new platform, as such your rig data will remain intact and be available again when the new Rig builder is available. We are investigating whether it is possible to maintain the Rig Builder in a static state in order to current sig rigs to carry on displaying until the new system is ready.

User awards: This system will not be available at launch as it needs to be redeveloped for use on the new platform. The database of user assigned awards will be preserved. Upon the new system going live, your badges will return.

The above three systems are considered core systems to the OCN experience, these are the ones that we will be pushing HARD on for return as soon as possible to a point of savagery with the VS Devs. Systems such as the I-trader system used for the Marketplace and the member product review system will return as soon as possible but not until all core systems have returned.

What is happening between now and the migration?

Overclock.net is a large and complicated beast, some of which is now redundant due to the many years of changes. The VS devs will be performing some cleaning to the databases and just a general pruning to the site in order to slim us down prior to migrating. This allows for a cleaner and quicker migration and removes factors that need not be there. Consider it a spring clean. While on the surface this should have no effect on the site so far as usability, nothing is ever 100%. With this in mind, should you encounter an issue on the site that is new, please feel free to mention it in this thread and we can take a look into it.

Myself and The_Manual will be taking a look at the mirror site of OCN. This will essentially be a copy of OCN on the new Xenforo platform. This will give us a chance to take a look at the new platform in more depth and allow us to look around and take stock of anything that is not right and alert the VS Devs. Unfortunately, our testing will be limited to testing the vanilla functions of the Xenforo platform with the OCN face. While this still gives us a good opportunity to take an early look at things, we will not be testing any OCN specific features as they will only be available sometime after the migration takes place.

What happens after migration?

Aside from the development of the core OCN systems as mentioned before, there will be an element of debugging. With any new software release you have bugs that need patches, it is no different to website transition. The OCN staff will be playing with the various systems that vanilla Xenforo offers as well as ensuring that the overall setup of the site is correct to ensure that we can get everything smoothed out as soon as humanly possible. I just want to be clear that there WILL be bugs, and while that can be annoying, it is the nature of any upgrade/change. We are all tech guys, so we get it. During our own testing we know all you clever people out there will notice issues as well and possibly before any of the staff do. There will be opportunity for you to post your findings which will enable us to investigate further.
We of course always appreciate the time taken to properly document a bug,its location,environment and its re-production. As such, as a small token of our appreciation all users who provide us with a unique and viable bug report will be awarded a badge that will show in your signature as soon as the Award system is up and running. The badge will look like this :
Further to this all those who provide a unique and viable bug report will also be awarded a 1 Year Premium Overclocked Account

The user awards and 1 Year Premium Overclocked Account for bug finding will available for 30 days from the day of migration.

Post migration, we will set up this initiative so you guys can hit the ground running.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................

For now that is it. While some of the above will undoubtedly come as a disappointment, we (the staff) will continue to push forward to make the best of the situation and get the features you all love back online as soon as possible, so please bare with us. Just remember that upon initial launch, things will look strange and unrecognizable, but please bare in mind that it is NOT a finished product and we will be working hard to restore as much as we can as soon as we can and we of course during this time will be listening to user feedback. While we understand that there will be those who wish to be vocal about the changes, we are fine with that and certainly expect it, but we do ask that you be respectful.

We are looking forward to being able to leverage the up to date web tech that Xenforo has to offer with an effort to enhancing the user experience across the board. If you have any questions then please do feel free to ask them in this thread and we will answer them to the best of our ability We will post updates as and when we have them.

All the best,
ENTERPRISE & Team.

Need help with your account or something forum related ? Please use our Contact Us form

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement

Reserved

Need help with your account or something forum related ? Please use our Contact Us form

post #3 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 12:32 PM

Hi Enterprise. Could you elaborate on ocnet's plan to control undercover vendor/reseller/corporate marketer accounts from posting on the new platform? I'm not the only person to believe and feel that there are unidentified industry shills constantly roaming upon us trying to sell us stuff. It's gotten to the point where I have to openly state on the forums that I do not have any money to spend right now and that i'm poor. (believe me, if i had the damn money i'd get the liquid cooling, i'd get the best ramkits, i'd get multiple boards, i'd bin several chips). It makes me uncomfortable that I have to mention my financial status just to get these bloody miscreants to back off. And then boom, those accounts slowly back away. There are many users who feel this way.

As a user, I want a community that is authentic, Not a website that gives the impression that it could be a front for a sales funnel. Users want to feel like they are part of something genuine and not like they are trying to be exploited for cash. I also understand that ocnet is a business, i don't think anyone minds regular advertisers or w/e or identifiable shill accounts or identifiable company representatives like we've had in the past(for example gigabyte employee Matt openly upfront identified himself in his account ID in the past).

Here is an example: The whole stupid amd vs intel debacle. Like honestly, does a non-shareholder, non-employee, non-financially invested person what so ever give a crap about either company to constantly argue on end about them? Nope, definitely not. But those accounts are here and they do it all the time. It's bloodly obvious who is behind them. Anyone with a lick of common sense knows what is going on. Stuff like this is stupid, it shouldn't even exist on the website. At least force employees, shareholders, vendors, resellers, marketers and advertiser forum accounts to identify themselves as such.

I've had one guy ask me for my phone number in a PM. I had another offer me a free apex motherboard in a PM. I don't even know what to think of all this.

-candid feedback from a passionate overclocker.

EDIT: Added more information to my original post

Last edited by XGS-Duplicity; 07-28-2020 at 03:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 12:36 PM
Back at it again.

Rep: 107 (Unique: 81)
W00t! Take that complainers!

23664 Time Spy https://www.3dmark.com/spy/13047865
[email protected] Stats https://folding.extremeoverclocking....e.php?u=207393
CPU
i9 9900k @5.1GHz 1.34v
Motherboard
ASUS Prime Z390-A 1504 BIOS
GPU
Evga 2080 Ti Black Gamer +220 Core
GPU
Evga 2080 Ti Black Gamer +150 Core
RAM
4x8GB GSkill TridentZ DDR4 3600
Hard Drive
2 x 1 TB Samsung EVO 970 Raid 0
Power Supply
EVGA 1000w G+
Cooling
EK CPU/GPU/RES
Cooling
2x aCool UT60 RADs
Case
Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL (White)
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Alienware 1900R 34.1" @ 120Hz
Keyboard
Loigitech G910
Mouse
Logitech G700s
▲ hide details ▲

post #5 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement

Quote: Originally Posted by XGS-Duplicity View Post
Hi Enterprise. Could you elaborate on ocnet's plan to control undercover vendor/reseller/corporate marketer accounts from posting on the new platform? I'm not the only person to believe and feel that there are industry shills constantly roaming upon us trying to sell us stuff. It's gotten to the point where I have to openly state on the forums that I do not have any money to spend right now and that i'm poor. (believe me, if i had the damn money i'd get the liquid cooling, i'd get the best ramkits, i'd get multiple boards). It makes me uncomfortable that I have to mention this. And then boom, those accounts slowly back away. There are many users who feel this way.

As a user, I want a community that is authentic, Not a website that gives the impression that it could be a front for a sales funnel. Users want to feel like they are part of something genuine and not like they are trying to be exploited for cash.

-candid feedback from a passionate overclocker.
Hmmm, please can you show me these said accounts ? Possibly then I can elaborate further or look into the issue more. Please send me a PM on this matter as this thread is strictly for the migration

post #6 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote: Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE View Post
Hmmm, please can you show me these said accounts ? Possibly then I can elaborate further or look into the issue more. Please send me a PM on this matter as this thread is strictly for the migration
Sure thing, The best I can do is pm you suspected accounts, I couldn't prove a thing. Just wanted to let you know my feelings on the matter and that i'm 100% certain that i'm not the only one here to feel this way.
post #7 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 01:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 143 (Unique: 126)
I’m very much looking forward to this!

Thank you in advance for your hard work!
post #8 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 02:37 PM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 60 (Unique: 54)
OCN premium account... What's that?

4K Rig
(7 items)
CPU
Intel 7700k @4.2ghz
GPU
Zotec 1080 Ti
RAM
16GB 3200mhz DDR4
Hard Drive
250GB nvme + 500GB SSD + 4TB HDD
Monitor
Samsung 4K 65 inch TV
Monitor
Pixio PX276 27inch 144Hz 1ms 1440p
Audio
Sound Blaster z
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 02:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 499 (Unique: 279)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
It's like a regular account, only with more octane .

Sounds like someone has a lot of work ahead of themselves - good luck with the transition!

Ryzen Shine!
(15 items)
CPU
Ryzen 1800X @ 4125mhz 1.432 Volts
Motherboard
MSI X370 Titanium
GPU
Fury
GPU
Sapphire Nitro + 5700XT
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14Q-32GTZ
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 pro
Optical Drive
Hp 1260 I
Power Supply
PC power and cooling 910 watt silencer
Cooling
liquid unobtanium Koolance 480mm radiator, 390 block - 3/4 OD tubing
Case
Thermaltake P5
Operating System
Win 7 HP/Winspy 10 64bit
Monitor
24" hp @ 1900x1200
Keyboard
Logitech G19
Mouse
Logitech MX 518
Mouse
fUnc industries
▲ hide details ▲

post #10 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 04:15 PM
boof

Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post

Rebranded "Overclocked" account.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/3-ov...m-account.html

Quote:Originally Posted by TheBadBull https://www.overclock.net/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm a level 5 vegan. I don't eat anything that casts a shadow.

It's also why I eat my bacon in the dark ????????????????
Computer of Theseus
(17 items)
RIP Athlon '01-'11
(10 items)
CPU
2.6GHz 6-core Intel Core i7
GPU
AMD Radeon Pro 5300m
RAM
16GB 2667MHz DDR4
Hard Drive
512GB
Operating System
macOS Catalina 10.15.x
CPU
AMD Ryzen R5 1600
Motherboard
Asus PRIME B350 PLUS
GPU
RX 5700 XT
RAM
16GB Corsair Vengence (2x8GB)
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 500GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 650 G2
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C White
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 49UM7400PLB
Monitor
Dell E207WFP
Monitor
Valve Index Headset
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Midnight MX Blue
Mouse
Steelseries Rival 310
Other
Valve Index Base Station
Other
Thrustmaster T300RS GT
CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 955BE
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair V
GPU
nVidia GTX 550Ti
RAM
12GB DDR3
Hard Drive
500GB WD Blue
Cooling
Coolermaster Evo
Operating System
Windows 7 Pro
Operating System
Windows 8 Pro
Operating System
Windows 8.1 Pro
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in