Keeping the Standards High and the "Noise" Low - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Keeping the Standards High and the "Noise" Low

post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 01:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 434 (Unique: 322)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98uk View Post

Kinda of wish this place had a Reddit vibe so you could upvote the good content and get rid of the bad content... or at least some way to prioritise good posts.

At the minute, it's a frustrating mix of some good ideas/topics and a cesspit of verbal diarrhea.

Agreed, on every point lol. Just got to do what we can to remind our new comers of the initiatives that make OCN, OCN.

Biased rPGA and MXM 3.0A/B Elitest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 11:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 43 (Unique: 31)
Ok, I just came back here after a long hiatus.

I definitely agree with the 'cesspit of verbal diahhrea' comment, the first thing that jumped out was all these millions of threads, all asking the same basic questions, 'what PC would you build with this money', 'how do I overclock', 'why is my game lagging' - it's a shame, because this forum used to be filled with quality, interesting content, that'd keep me browsing for hours, yet now I don't want to browse at all.

Some suggestions:

- Create a suggestions subforum. Currently, it's difficult to find anywhere to submit suggestions, you have to look hard for a place to offer them. I'm not sure a couple of threads is enough for a forum of this size.

- Create subforums for basic questions, ones like 'General Processor Discussion' shouldn't be filled with questions of how to build a PC on a certain budget. Currently there's way too much noise, it's like trying to cram 5000 people in a venue with a max capacity of 500.

- Allow mods to move threads without a 'moved' icon showing up. Due to the aforementioned noise, a lot of people get their threads moved, but this doesn't solve the noise, it just puts it in 2 separate places. Obviously, for some threads, you will want to inform people they've moved, but for others this isn't so important.

- Force people to read something like this: https://www.overclock.net/t/822619/an-emphasis-on-quality-of-content prior to posting.

- Add a checkbox before starting a thread saying 'this subforum is for talk about X. If you want to talk about Y, go to subforum Z. If your post is about X, and adds value, please tick the box'. This would lock the reply field until checked. I know of one large forum (Digitalpoint) that has implemented this successfully.

The very obvious sig club! (rivals to the secret sig club!)

For Sale: Lian Li V2000 with Vapochill Phase system

How to: Know whether a site is good to deal with or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris627 go_quote.gif
I get bricks thrown at me while I curl into a ball pleading for the agony to stop, good times.cool.gif
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 12:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 434 (Unique: 322)
Welcome back to OCN!

I agree though, and especially on the point of Hypothetical builds, as they can become a large grounds for passionate debate

Biased rPGA and MXM 3.0A/B Elitest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 01:17 PM
Bod ***s rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Evil Cupcake View Post

Ok, I just came back here after a long hiatus.

I definitely agree with the 'cesspit of verbal diahhrea' comment, the first thing that jumped out was all these millions of threads, all asking the same basic questions, 'what PC would you build with this money', 'how do I overclock', 'why is my game lagging' - it's a shame, because this forum used to be filled with quality, interesting content, that'd keep me browsing for hours, yet now I don't want to browse at all.

Some suggestions:

- Create a suggestions subforum. Currently, it's difficult to find anywhere to submit suggestions, you have to look hard for a place to offer them. I'm not sure a couple of threads is enough for a forum of this size.

- Create subforums for basic questions, ones like 'General Processor Discussion' shouldn't be filled with questions of how to build a PC on a certain budget. Currently there's way too much noise, it's like trying to cram 5000 people in a venue with a max capacity of 500.

- Allow mods to move threads without a 'moved' icon showing up. Due to the aforementioned noise, a lot of people get their threads moved, but this doesn't solve the noise, it just puts it in 2 separate places. Obviously, for some threads, you will want to inform people they've moved, but for others this isn't so important.

- Force people to read something like this: https://www.overclock.net/t/822619/an-emphasis-on-quality-of-content prior to posting.

- Add a checkbox before starting a thread saying 'this subforum is for talk about X. If you want to talk about Y, go to subforum Z. If your post is about X, and adds value, please tick the box'. This would lock the reply field until checked. I know of one large forum (Digitalpoint) that has implemented this successfully.

Welcome back smile.gif.

To address a couple of the points you have brought up.
Quote:
Create a suggestions subforum. Currently, it's difficult to find anywhere to submit suggestions, you have to look hard for a place to offer them. I'm not sure a couple of threads is enough for a forum of this size.

If you mean suggestions to make the forum better, we have one already

Quote:

We do have the option of moving without a redirect but we use redirects as a matter of courtesy.

The redirects we use are expiring ones and we usually set them to expire after 1 day.

post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 03:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 43 (Unique: 31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReciever View Post

Welcome back to OCN!

I agree though, and especially on the point of Hypothetical builds, as they can become a large grounds for passionate debate
Yeah, for sure, and I think they could be compiled a lot, you don't need 20 different threads about what PC should I build for $500.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitemarks and bloodstains View Post

Welcome back smile.gif.

To address a couple of the points you have brought up.
If you mean suggestions to make the forum better, we have one already

We do have the option of moving without a redirect but we use redirects as a matter of courtesy.

The redirects we use are expiring ones and we usually set them to expire after 1 day.
Thank you smile.gif

Aha, looks like the reason I didn't notice that is because when I was initially looking, I wasn't logged in (couldn't remember if I had spaces, underscores, whether it got cut short...), so it wasn't showing up.

Ah, got it.

The very obvious sig club! (rivals to the secret sig club!)

For Sale: Lian Li V2000 with Vapochill Phase system

How to: Know whether a site is good to deal with or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris627 go_quote.gif
I get bricks thrown at me while I curl into a ball pleading for the agony to stop, good times.cool.gif
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 05:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 12)
i want to make this forum better!
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 12:25 PM
Senior Moderators

Friendly reminder!

Quote:
The man never feels the want of what it never occurs to him to ask for. - Arthur Schopenhauer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in