Keeping the Standards High and the "Noise" Low - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Keeping the Standards High and the "Noise" Low

post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

As you know, Overclock.net strives to be a professional, friendly - yet no-nonsense environment for Overclockers to unite in the pursuit of performance.

While the Overclock.net staff ramp up to bring more features and content to the site, we ask that each and every one of you do you part to meet/exceed the expectations of the community as a whole.

Every post you make, consider if it adds value to the community. Whether answering questions or asking them - talking to members you know or ones you don't - please make every post work towards this goal.

Keeping Overclock.net readable (using descriptive titles, proper spelling/punctuation etc.), friendly and drama free, and last but definitely not least, factual, helpful and up-to-date will ensure we continue to be the destination for the pursuit of performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 600 (Unique: 430)
I think a big issue has to do with descriptive thread titles. There are so many threads that say "Help!". Personally, I don't even look at those threads. To any new members out there, here is a thread I posted on how to post a good thread that will get a lot of views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
catmmm: my rack would love to play with your rack...
lhowatt: does it fit well on your desk?
catmmm: lhowatt: yeah it fits
catmmm: lhowatt: I kinda have a big desk though
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 10:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 860 (Unique: 657)
Amen Admin, Amen

Pictures Of Cars/Motorcycles That Make You Smile

♪♫♪♫♪♫

I saw that day, lost my mind
Lord, I'll find, maybe in time
You'll want to be mine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 11:10 PM
B.O.W

Rep: 1287 (Unique: 749)
I think a HUGE issue is when people dont read ALL of the thread and posts.

Ends up the original question has been answered and another has been asked. This then confused the entire thread's order or "integrity" and it looks "unprofessional" if you must.

Or

Its a discussion and views/opinions/facts are being tossed around and someone posts against or for the original post meanwhile the original post has been proven or disproven already.

Along the lines of that.

[Project] Ω Reestablished / [Project]Nemesis i7 Revival
"A new Genesis is at hand, and I shall be its creator!"~Albert Wesker
"The best case mods are never finished, but in a perpetual state of evolution."~Flux
"Do not let the kindness of your heart be sullied by the underhandedness and lack of sincerity of those that you cross paths with." ~ Syrillian

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 11:32 PM

Speaking of thread titles, theres pretty much guaranteed to be a flame war when the News titles "Linus Torvalds says OSX is crap" even though he never actually said those words and is taken out of context.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 03:47 AM
In VB's Basement

Lets work together to make OCN an even greater place to be.

Nice work Admin.

Need help with your account or something forum related ? Please use our Contact Us form

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 09:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 99 (Unique: 89)
I would agree to a point on the thread titles, there are some people who put a sensationalistic title in JUST to get their thread read.

Also, there has to be a way to maybe "slow down" the recent posts window.

I have been missing some very important threads because of that. So when I do, I have to find out what section the post was in, then look for the post.

and BTW...Admin, fill in your puter specs in your user cp, one of the first rules of OCN

multi GPU folding on XP https://www.overclock.net/overclock-n...gfx-cards.html
think folding costs too much???https://www.overclock.net/overclock-n...ml#post4175378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyranite go_quote.gif
Open source supporters steal the glory and money from people who make decent products. They're like the China of the Internet, making crappy knock offs of reasonable products and distributing them for next to nothing.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 09:33 AM
Senior Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE View Post
Lets work together to make OCN an even greater place to be.

Nice work Admin.
Agreed We need to work together in order to make this community even better than it already is

Quote:
The man never feels the want of what it never occurs to him to ask for. - Arthur Schopenhauer

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 03:53 PM
B.O.W

Rep: 1287 (Unique: 749)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deskjockey View Post
I would agree to a point on the thread titles, there are some people who put a sensationalistic title in JUST to get their thread read.

Also, there has to be a way to maybe "slow down" the recent posts window.

I have been missing some very important threads because of that. So when I do, I have to find out what section the post was in, then look for the post.

and BTW...Admin, fill in your puter specs in your user cp, one of the first rules of OCN
I disagree with the slow down thing - I think the recent posts and news box needs to be bigger. Half the time I can only see half the title - meaning I have to go into the thread to actually see what the title is.

[Project] Ω Reestablished / [Project]Nemesis i7 Revival
"A new Genesis is at hand, and I shall be its creator!"~Albert Wesker
"The best case mods are never finished, but in a perpetual state of evolution."~Flux
"Do not let the kindness of your heart be sullied by the underhandedness and lack of sincerity of those that you cross paths with." ~ Syrillian

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 09:30 AM
Senior Moderators

Friendly reminder

Quote:
The man never feels the want of what it never occurs to him to ask for. - Arthur Schopenhauer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in