FAQ: Dual Power Supplies - Page 6 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

FAQ: Dual Power Supplies

post #51 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 08:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 91 (Unique: 77)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellis142 View Post

Enermax RaxRevo 1350. You said you wanted 5.0Ghz+ and 950Mhz for gaming? I guarantee you won't be using 100% of each GTX 580 during gaming (Impossible due to scaling; not to mention most games won't even push the 4th GPU, as they don't support spanning across that many cards). Even if you decide to do extreme benchmarking, they won't last longer then a few minutes, and even then you probably won't be able to reach "Imma save your components by shutting down" stage.
Just my 2c. Don't get two in tandem unless you absolutely have to. In this case, you aren't at that point yet. It's not like your trying to run an SR-2... tongue.gif

4x L-EX will not even be used with 3x 120hz monitors?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 08:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 277 (Unique: 245)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sockpirate View Post

4x L-EX will not even be used with 3x 120hz monitors?

Ok, with Surround there will be more load, but all of them still won't get to 100% load, scaling isn't that perfect yet tongue.gif

post #53 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 08:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 408 (Unique: 306)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post

Antec HCP-1200, Corsair AX1200, Thermaltake Toughpower 1350M, Silverstone ST-1500, Enermax Platimax 1200W

Didn't you say that AX1200 is a single rail design?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 09:05 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 91 (Unique: 77)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellis142 View Post

Ok, with Surround there will be more load, but all of them still won't get to 100% load, scaling isn't that perfect yet tongue.gif

He he yeah i figured. I dunno i just really wanna figure out what to do...i came here because my thread i started turned into nonsense and i was directed here by a friend. I am still at a loss of what to do... mad.gif cannot get a straight answer as what i will be fine with doing , without endangering my parts in the process when everything is overclocked on 3x 120 hz monitors.

post #55 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 07:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 960 (Unique: 652)

Originally Posted by Levesque View Post

Like I care what you think... And 2 weeks later, you had to put your little grain of salt with a comment about me, adding nothing to the discussion about dual-PSU... Wow. It was so worth it. I'm happy you took the time to wrote that. rolleyes.gif

A little come back to me dual-PSU adventure.

Everything is now working fine with my Antec HCP-1200 powering 4X 6970 Lightning + 3930k + Rampage IV + all HDDs and SSDs, and my AX850 is powering all the fans and watercooling pumps 4X MCP655. Dual-PSUs working perfectly nowwith the Lian-LI dual-PSU adaptor. So I really think it was the Add2PSU adapter the culprit..

The HCP-1200 is noisy, but it's rock-stable with 4X 6970 at 1050/1475 1.3v. smile.gif

Try run 3DMark 11 with a single PSU then compare the scores with distibuted loads among 2 PSUs thumb.gif

Difficult to explain if not to test it yourself. Reviews don't always covered everything other to say how good that specifics unit in review tongue.gif

post #56 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 04:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 960 (Unique: 652)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sockpirate View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken1649 View Post

LOL

Look at it this way, some people will link you of what they "read" and convince you what they believe from what they read.

I have seen they link a unit rated continuous 1,200w is capable of 1,700w in the review. But it's not scpecified the continuous draw of 1,700w lasted how long for the test period. So they are saying your Quad setup max power draw is 1,300w hence that unit is what you need.

Most monufactures state the MTBF is 100,000 hours = 11.41 years. Best manufactures warranty have seen so far is 7 years. Why?

So help me out here? My single AX 1200 is enough then is what you are saying ? Sorry i am a bit dense, and it is also 330AM frown.gif

Here, have a look of real world user experience. The fact is fact regardless of personal opinions and whatever reviews people read and suggested to you.

https://www.overclock.net/t/1186014/how-to-distribute-load-on-enermax-maxrevo-1500w#post_15974914

post #57 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 09:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levesque View Post

Like I care what you think... And 2 weeks later, you had to put your little grain of salt with a comment about me, adding nothing to the discussion about dual-PSU... Wow. It was so worth it. I'm happy you took the time to wrote that. rolleyes.gif
A little come back to me dual-PSU adventure.
Everything is now working fine with my Antec HCP-1200 powering 4X 6970 Lightning + 3930k + Rampage IV + all HDDs and SSDs, and my AX850 is powering all the fans and watercooling pumps 4X MCP655. Dual-PSUs working perfectly nowwith the Lian-LI dual-PSU adaptor. So I really think it was the Add2PSU adapter the culprit..
The HCP-1200 is noisy, but it's rock-stable with 4X 6970 at 1050/1475 1.3v. smile.gif

I also have one of those similar adapters. My problem is that the second Power Supply does not stop after first one is stopped. Do you have the same experience?
post #58 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 03:53 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post

The short answer: Don't.
The vast majority of people who use two power supplies don't need to, and waste money or endanger their rigs doing so. It's only a valid approach in a very small handful of scenarios, and is otherwise either an unnecessary over-complication, or a dangerous jury rig solution.
The main thing people do wrong with dual power supplies is to think they even need it. They look at a GTX580, then look at power consumption charts and think "OMG 500W OMG OMG NEED MOAR POWER" when in fact that's the total system power consumption; the card itself only pulls ~300W. So then they decide to supplement their already more-than-sufficient 650-850W PSU with another PSU, wasting money and making life more difficult, what with having to stash another PSU somewhere inside their case and hiding a bunch more cables.
The next worse thing people do is do dual PSUs with cheap units. Most power supplies under $100, and all under $50, use a technology called "group regulation" to reduce costs. There's a bunch of technical stuff I could throw at you; but the gist of it is that the current on the +12V and +5V rails on a group regulated power supply must stay within a certain approximate ratio to one another (say 3A of +12V for every 1A of +5V, +/-20%) or else the voltage regulation will go out of whack. +12V load too low? +5V voltage drops and +12V voltage soars. +5V load too low? +5V soars and +12V drops.
The secondary PSU in a dual-PSU usually has no +5V load at all, or at most 1-2A, meaning that the +12V voltage will droop significantly; on high-end group regulated units it will fall to 11.6-11.7V, which is in-spec but poor. On low-end group regulated units +12V might drop to 11.3-11.5V, out of spec or almost. Out of spec voltage (>11.4V) can cause component malfunction; bluescreens and random shut downs, and will prevent many hard drives from functioning at all.. Very low, but in-spec voltage (11.4-11.6V) can cause poor overclocking results, occasional instability, excessive wear on component power circuitry, and can cause hard drive issues over time.
Dual PSUs should only be used when both power supplies are high quality and use independent regulation, or even better "DC-DC" regulation. It's only a useful approach when dealing with systems that pull >1000W; then two quality 650W+ indy/DC-DC regulated units may be used in place of a single 1000W+ unit. Even then you may run into issues of crosstalk leading to greater effective ripple on power regulated devices (motherboard, graphics card, RAID controllers), and units that rely on +12V v-sense may suffer poor voltage regulation if the cable with their v-sense wires is not in use.
So just don't.

I would prefer one power supply but may have to go with two. Two Xeon5650 oc to 4.0GHz, 3xGTX580s + 1 Quadro, water cooled. This is a work station, and I won't be using headsets, or listen to gaming sound effects, so noise control is important. I get 1675W with 30% aging on the extreme psu calculator. I'm locating the radiator and fans in the basement below my home office and looking for the least noisy PSU solution that can handle the wattage. The case I'm using has max 30+6 cm extended space for the power supply (-ies). I looked into 2x Corsair AX860i's which will be 32 cm without the cabling.

Any suggestions?
post #59 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 11:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
If you don't have enough amps on your 12v rail its the best thing to do,
In fact it will be better because your not stressing the power supply.
Allso its much cheaper to do it this way and get better thermal results.
post #60 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 11:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 19)
I read this entire Thread.
It is kinda old, but for those who read it in the future.
One of the the things I have done is High power RF systems (megawatts). In those systems you will not find dual power supplies feeding the same component. Some power supply may be grounded to the case. So what happens if you do? supply a and supply b say puts out 12.012 V and b 12.125 volts. where does . 0.112 volts go ? answer into supply a. consider that supply as a low ohm (resistance) say .001 ohm. 0.112 v divided by .01 ohm = 110 amps. When that happens power supply a and b become a temporary smoke generators and the best designed one survives. So any thing plugged in to the mother boards (video cards) must be powered from the same source. These devices draw power through the Motherboard.
Hard drives, CD drives, fans, & pumps can be powered by a separate supply because they are only signal connected and not electrically connected. The only that things may require enough current draw to warrant a separate power supply are TEC, some pumps and a few high volume fans or enough fans to make the box fly.
I have found that the silver or gold power single rail supplies last longer. If 1300 watts can't power it you probably should not build it. For those of us who have to live off 110 volts, 1300 watts is getting close to popping the circuit breaker on a 14 gauge circuit.

Primary: Crossover 27" 2560 x 1440, Crosshair VI, Ryzen 1600, Flair 3200 x 4, GTX 690. Secondary: MSI 890FX GD-70 R 2.0, FX-8350, HD 7790, Kingston 8 GB x 2, Western 1Tb hybrid, VisionTek 1000
[

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in