Replacing PSU fan in Silverstone SFX 450w...? - Page 5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Replacing PSU fan in Silverstone SFX 450w...?

post #41 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Go Again!

Rep: 343 (Unique: 214)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiSK View Post

Either you do the mod before using the ST45SF-G at all, in which case it's entirely safe.

Or if you've used the PSU then do as follows:
  • With the ST45SF-G still in your PC, remove the cable to the mains.
  • Make sure your ST45SF-G is connected only to the motherboard with the ATX24, no other connections at all.
  • Attach any USB device on the back I/O ports of your motherboard
  • Attach any fan to the CPU fan header on the motherboard
  • Press the ON-button of your PC several times
  • Unplug PSU from motherboard, remove the PSU from the case, and leave it overnight
  • Do the mod the next morning

And that could work but this young person was killed by a pc that was unplugged. We are talking about modding a very in inexpensive 450 watt psu. I just wanted Op to understand risk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 11:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 2)
which fan would you guys recommend for replacing in the Silverstone Strider 650w 80plus gold ST65F-G PSU?

post #43 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 01:41 PM
8.2 liters

Rep: 553 (Unique: 361)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkraine View Post

which fan would you guys recommend for replacing in the Silverstone Strider 650w 80plus gold ST65F-G PSU?

Gentle Typhoon AP-15

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 01:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

Gentle Typhoon AP-15

I believe it's CFM is around 55 and the fan that's in the PSU is 80 CFM. Is that gonna be a problem?

post #45 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 02:06 PM
8.2 liters

Quote:

I believe it's CFM is around 55 and the fan that's in the PSU is 80 CFM. Is that gonna be a problem?

CFM is measured by manufacturers at 0 resistance and at full voltage. The fan in the PSU is sitting on lots of components that provide airflow restriction. So the 80CFM number is a bit useless. You need a PQ curve to judge what the actual airflow would be.

The reason I suggest the AP15 is because it's one of the strongest (torque) fans for this range of RPM. It has an impressive PQ curve, proper bearings and in the fan hub there is a metal disc which improves angular momentum. It also has a pleasant tone at higher RPMs.

I would trust it to perform better than the stock fan, but if you have doubts there is also the GentleTyphoon AP45 which will match the airflow of the stock fan.

post #46 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 02:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

CFM is measured by manufacturers at 0 resistance and at full voltage. The fan in the PSU is sitting on lots of components that provide airflow restriction. So the 80CFM number is a bit useless. You need a PQ curve to judge what the actual airflow would be.

The reason I suggest the AP15 is because it's one of the strongest (torque) fans for this range of RPM. It has an impressive PQ curve, proper bearings and in the fan hub there is a metal disc which improves angular momentum. It also has a pleasant tone at higher RPMs.

I would trust it to perform better than the stock fan, but if you have doubts there is also the GentleTyphoon AP45 which will match the airflow of the stock fan.

What do you think of and is it worth getting the noctua nf-f12 for the PWM functionality?

post #47 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 03:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 71 (Unique: 60)
Quote:

What do you think of and is it worth getting the noctua nf-f12 for the PWM functionality?

The original fan is a 2-wire voltage controlled fan. The PSU can't put out a PWM signal to the fan so you could use the Noctua but it would only be voltage controlled so why bother.

post #48 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 03:22 PM
8.2 liters

Quote:

PSU doesn't have PWM. It's purely voltage controlled.

Noctua is a lot of hype. They look so horrible, they must be good. They make like 5 different 120mm fans, targetted at PC enthusiasts with Linus paid to promote them. Dodgy specs: high airflow and high static pressure and low noise and only draws max 0.05 amps? No PQ curve shown.

While Nidec Servo make millions of fans for industry. I trust their numbers, as well as my own experience with their products. Here's the catalog http://catalog.nidec-servo.com/products/pdf/D1225Cen.pdf and you can listen to them here http://martinsliquidlab.org/2013/05/07/fan-testing-round-12/

But fans are one of those things that everyone swears that the ones they bought are the best, even if they never tried anything else. So opinions differ wildly smile.gif

post #49 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 07:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:

Noctua is a lot of hype. They look so horrible, they must be good. They make like 5 different 120mm fans, targetted at PC enthusiasts with Linus paid to promote them. Dodgy specs: high airflow and high static pressure and low noise and only draws max 0.05 amps? No PQ curve shown.

While Nidec Servo make millions of fans for industry. I trust their numbers, as well as my own experience with their products. Here's the catalog http://catalog.nidec-servo.com/products/pdf/D1225Cen.pdf and you can listen to them here http://martinsliquidlab.org/2013/05/07/fan-testing-round-12/

But fans are one of those things that everyone swears that the ones they bought are the best, even if they never tried anything else. So opinions differ wildly smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aibohphobia View Post

The original fan is a 2-wire voltage controlled fan. The PSU can't put out a PWM signal to the fan so you could use the Noctua but it would only be voltage controlled so why bother.
Quote:

I appropriate all your sage advice. Just ordered Gentle Typhoon ap-15, give em a try. Question though, would it be possible to hook up the fan to the PWM on the motherboard or will the PSU not work if there no fan connected to it?

What do you thinks of and is it worth getting the noctua nf-f12 for the PWM functionality?

post #50 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 07:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:

The site you linked mentioned that "The two GT fans have the lowest noise level (Around 38dBA)but do have a slight whine noise quality." Have you noticed any whining from the GTs? This would be a total joy-kill.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in