Corsair deny all knowledge - AX1200i software broken (probably applies to AX860i and AX760i as well) - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Corsair deny all knowledge - AX1200i software broken (probably applies to AX860i and AX760i as well)

post #21 of 257 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 64 (Unique: 59)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsairGeorge View Post

Hey guys, I'm reading through this, and though I'm no longer the PSU Product Manager, I'm trying to figure out the issue.
Is this accurate:
You are having random reboots that you believe are tied to the Corsair Link software and AX1200i reporting incorrect 12V rail amperage?

Not quite, but close. The reboots are not random, they only happen if I have multi-rail OCP enabled in Corsair Link, and only if a PCIe rail over-reads.

There are two separate, but related problems:

Problem 1: I am getting incorrectly reported 12v (PCIe) rails, which overread by a large amount. The same problem as in the linked videos. This problem has persisted across software reinstalls/upgrades, and has persisted with a new RMA PSU and link dongle.

As long as I don't try to enable multi-rail mode, this causes no other problems. I can use the PSU as a single-rail PSU and the system is stable. I cannot however enable multi-rail mode, because if I do (by checking the OCP tickboxes in the link software) then I get;

Problem 2: The next time the rail in question over-reads (eg. exceeds the set OCP trip point) the PC will reboot. (it's an instant reboot straight to a black screen then the BIOS, just as though the reset button on the case had been pressed).

JonnyGuru has replied in the thread on the Corsair forum, saying that OCP would not cause a reboot, only a hard shutdown that required power-cycling the PSU itself to reset. Now I agree that is what should happen, however I get reboots when this happens.

I don't get reboots any other time - it's definitely only happening when multi-rail OCP is enabled and when a rail over-reads. More details in the thread on your forum.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 257 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 09:51 AM
Hardware Rep

Rep: 454 (Unique: 351)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisTheSpider View Post

Not quite, but close. The reboots are not random, they only happen if I have multi-rail OCP enabled in Corsair Link, and only if a PCIe rail over-reads.
There are two separate, but related problems:
Problem 1: I am getting incorrectly reported 12v (PCIe) rails, which overread by a large amount. The same problem as in the linked videos. This problem has persisted across software reinstalls/upgrades, and has persisted with a new RMA PSU and link dongle.
As long as I don't try to enable multi-rail mode, this causes no other problems. I can use the PSU as a single-rail PSU and the system is stable. I cannot however enable multi-rail mode, because if I do (by checking the OCP tickboxes in the link software) then I get;
Problem 2: The next time the rail in question over-reads (eg. exceeds the set OCP trip point) the PC will reboot. (it's an instant reboot straight to a black screen then the BIOS, just as though the reset button on the case had been pressed).
JonnyGuru has replied in the thread on the Corsair forum, saying that OCP would not cause a reboot, only a hard shutdown that required power-cycling the PSU itself to reset. Now I agree that is what should happen, however I get reboots when this happens.
I don't get reboots any other time - it's definitely only happening when multi-rail OCP is enabled and when a rail over-reads. More details in the thread on your forum.

Okay, I'm going to make sure our software/PSU guys see the synopsis here.

Jon's right - the PSU can't really make the PC reboot this way, what's likely happening is a software bug of some sort. We did have the over-reporting rail issue before, and we've seen that disappear almost entirely with patches and bug fixes on the software, but it's not possible to do 100% config/compatibility tests, so it's possible there's a software compatibility issue somewhere.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the software is bugging out when you select that box and mis-reading the power draw from one of your devices (likely the GPU or the CPU power header, since it's 12V rail amperage). This still shouldn't cause the system to reboot like this.

Almost every time I've seen reboots like this it's been a software issue or a memory issue. My work desktop used to reboot every time I ran photoshop, even after uninstalling it, re-installing it, etc. Turned out it was some registry entry that was tangentially related.

We're not denying existence of this, but we're definitely going to need some more data to work this one out.

Can you email me directly? [email protected]

Include the full specs of your system, and your contact info, so we can get in touch with you and help figure this one out.
post #23 of 257 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks for the reply George. Email sent.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 257 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 11:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 81 (Unique: 69)
Wahay, some progress! Good luck, and thanks George! thumb.gif

post #25 of 257 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 03:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 33 (Unique: 31)
Just found this one. Hopefully you can get this sorted out and it can be fixed in software. It's a good thing that George relayed this to the proper people

post #26 of 257 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 05:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
how are things with corsair BorisTheSpider?

post #27 of 257 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

No reply. I sent George the information he requested, and he told me he would make sure it got looked at, but I've heard nothing since.

post #28 of 257 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 07:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Does anyone have any of the other AX XXXi's? I need to replace my OCZ 700, and I want the 860 or 760... I prolly won't actually fully utilize all the features, but I want it for future expansion, and when I learn to use it all biggrin.gif
post #29 of 257 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 08:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Interesting, I was looking into getting one of these probably the 860i, to replace the TX850 V2 I have which is awfully loud...

Probably best left alone for a while methinks.
post #30 of 257 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

And still no word from Corsair.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in