PSU market is overblown with Corsair/Seasonic - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

PSU market is overblown with Corsair/Seasonic

post #21 of 247 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
Senior OCN Member

Rep: 2738 (Unique: 1626)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socks keep you warm View Post

Cooler Master Hybrid 1300W 90% efficiency. Love it to death. tongue.gif
Tried looking up who makes the insides of that unit cant seem to find out
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXXon View Post

OP,
- Corsair spend a lot more money marketing their PSUs/products than all the others,
- They offer 5-7 year warranty (more than most),
- They generally have good PSUs,
- Their RMA service is very good,
- Most people are not PSU savvy and rely on newegg/amazon for reviews & recommend/buy Corsair cause it's a very safe bet.
And this is what could kill the PSU market by eveyone not doing just a little bit of research and end up buying Corsair/Seasonic no they are not bad brands but if everyone buys them the other brands will die and so will competition and that is not good
Competition is a good thing for us maybe not for the brands but for us it is

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Corsair Force MP510 1,92 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 16 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 with Cherry MX Silent
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod 30 CM Magnetic Red LED strip
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 247 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 06:07 AM

I actually looked at an NZXT Hale 90 for one of my builds, White Ranger, seemed like a good PSU, and it was branded by the same manufacturer of the case I used (but actually manufactured by someone else), and as twisted as this sounds, being white, it would have looked absolutely stunning in the white case it was going in, but I really wanted a FULLY modular PSU, and sadly, NONE of the NZXT PSU like offer fully modular PSU's. Maybe down the road, if they start offering them, I might buy one. Same with Kingwin, they don't offer a fully modular power supply. Same with Rosewill, they too do not offer fully modular.

Maybe, one day, when Kingwin, Super Flower, and Rosewill start offering FULLY modular PSU's, I might (and others) will entertain the idea of buying them.

post #23 of 247 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
Senior OCN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

I actually looked at an NZXT Hale 90 for one of my builds, White Ranger, seemed like a good PSU, and it was branded by the same manufacturer of the case I used (but actually manufactured by someone else), and as twisted as this sounds, being white, it would have looked absolutely stunning in the white case it was going in, but I really wanted a FULLY modular PSU, and sadly, NONE of the NZXT PSU like offer fully modular PSU's. Maybe down the road, if they start offering them, I might buy one. Same with Kingwin, they don't offer a fully modular power supply. Same with Rosewill, they too do not offer fully modular.
Maybe, one day, when Kingwin, Super Flower, and Rosewill start offering FULLY modular PSU's, I might (and others) will entertain the idea of buying them.
By fully modular do you mean the 24 pin and the 4/8 pin cable sould be modular too?

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Operating System
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 247 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

Tried looking up who makes the insides of that unit cant seem to find out

They are made by "Enhance".

post #25 of 247 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 06:12 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 487 (Unique: 382)
Quote:

headscratch.gif Why is full modular so important? I installed that Rosewill fortress in my friend's rig, and it's totally non-modular which I didn't like very much.

But then I did a build with a Capstone-M. Honestly, if you have a single GPU, then you're going to need the 8 pin CPU, the 24 pin mobo, and a PEG cable or two anyways. Just wondering why you like Full-Mod so much?

post #26 of 247 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

By fully modular do you mean the 24 pin and the 4/8 pin cable sould be modular too?

Yes.

It is a major feature for people who like to custom sleeve the wires in their case to show them off, because on a non-fully modular PSU, if you open up the cover on the PSU to sleeve those wires, you have voided your warranty. With a fully modular PSU, there is no need to open up the PSU and thus no need to void the warranty.

Also, because those "permanent" bundles on the non-fully modular PSU's have to allow for a variety of motherboard combinations, you will usually have several groups of permanently fixed wires that go nowhere and just take up room, block air flow, and generally "look ugly" in your case. With fully modular, you can put ONLY the wires you need (with the exact length you need) in.

post #27 of 247 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
Senior OCN Member

Quote:

Yes.
It is a major feature for people who like to custom sleeve the wires in their case to show them off, because on a non-fully modular PSU, if you open up the cover on the PSU to sleeve those wires, you have voided your warranty. With a fully modular PSU, there is no need to open up the PSU and thus no need to void the warranty.
Well i can see the point in that but on the other hand i can see the point that coachmark2 makes for some people cable sleeving are not something they can do like me i just got lazy and bought Corsair sleeved cables for my AX1200 or they are just not interested and for those people which make up a good chuck of people even a non modular is fine.
I rather have a good non modular PSU over a crappy modular PSU any day of the week both of you make a good point

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Operating System
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
▲ hide details ▲
post #28 of 247 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 06:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 313 (Unique: 230)
Exactly, since everyone buys Seasonic and Corsair, their prices are starting to raise due to the high demand.

Why do you think Corsair switched to Flextronics for their latest PSUs ?
Well, maybe (or maybe not, who knows) because Seasonic asked them higher price to manufacture the PSUs.

See, pretty much every PSU that is on the OCN's Recommended List (see my sig) can be trusted.

Look for what wattage you want, then look at OCN's list and find the cheapest that is in the list.

I also agree that Rosewill PSUs are a great buy these days. Capstone Series is based on the brillant Super Flower Golden Green design and offered at a very competitive price, can't go wrong with those. thumb.gif

Thing is, always buy the cheapest good PSU in the wattage range you need (and eventually the 80+ rating, modularity etc. you want). That is how you balance the market, more competition will obviously mean lower prices.

OCN's Recommended: Power SuppliesAudio Products

~ Sig now ToS compliant
post #29 of 247 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmark2 View Post

headscratch.gif Why is full modular so important? I installed that Rosewill fortress in my friend's rig, and it's totally non-modular which I didn't like very much.
But then I did a build with a Capstone-M. Honestly, if you have a single GPU, then you're going to need the 8 pin CPU, the 24 pin mobo, and a PEG cable or two anyways. Just wondering why you like Full-Mod so much?

For people who are just building a computer that "just works", it isn't.

But on OCN, there are a lot of builders who are "Artisans" and will often spend hundreds, or thousands of dollars not only making their machines work good, but look incredible as well.

We custom paint our machines, paint our radiators, put custom color sleeves on our wires, or even totally hack up the chassis just to make our PC's into works of art.

Just as an example:

https://www.overclock.net/t/1296668/sponsored-project-steampunkd-tj11/350_50

post #30 of 247 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 06:22 AM
The Fabricat0r

Rep: 1036 (Unique: 678)
Welcome to three years ago.

You are talking about a very small niche here. Most computer owners don't know what a PSU is let alone who makes good ones. Even the type of person who does care a little about PSUs will be pretty uninformed and will usually go for the product that has been marketed the best. Companies like Corsair have done well because of a combination of generally good products, good customer support and aggressive marketing. It would be nice if some of the smaller companies were given the recognition they deserve but that's just how capitalism works. We all know Walmart is bad for small businesses but most people still shop there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in