PSU market is overblown with Corsair/Seasonic - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

PSU market is overblown with Corsair/Seasonic

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 247 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter
Senior OCN Member
 
shilka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 38,155
Rep: 2748 (Unique: 1629)
After having been on OCN for a little over a year and having read tough more help me find a PSU threads then i can count i have been thinking about this for a while now
Now this is my own personal opinion its not 100% facts as with any human being i can make mistakes so if a make one be polite and point it out in a civil way
Now back on track after having read so many threads with people asking for help about finding a PSU i have noticed that Corsair/Seasonic pops up in almost everyone of them and often the it will say get Corsair/Seasonic those are good and i am getting a bit tired of them
Now before you start thinking oh no here is one that hate Corsair/Seasonic i am not i have a Corsair AX1200 myself and its a good PSU.
The problem is with everyone and their mom and her dog says get Corsair/Seasonic the PSU market is getting overblown with those brands yes they are good brands but there are other brands out there.
What i want to talk about is Super Flower/Kingwin/NZXT/ why those brands you say?
Well its seems to me that these brands gets overlooked quite a lot compared to Corsair/Seasonic
Why do they get overlooked i have no idea after reading some reviews and doing some research some of these PSU´s are actually a little better then some of the Corsair/Seasonic units
Even Corsair and Seasonic have some bad PSU´s among then the old CX series is not very good and they had some problems with the AX series.
I cant talk about Seasonic as it is a brand we really dont have here in Denmark and i have never worked with them but Corsair i have
So the whole idea behind this thread is to give info all you out here on OCN that there are other brands that are good then just Corsair/Seasonic if everyone keeps saying Corsair/Seasonic those 2 companys will be the only companys left and there will be no competition left and the market will die
Now you dont have to agree on this but keep it civil if you dont

Review of the Kingwin LZP-550

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=219
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/03/01/kingwin_lzp550_550w_power_supply_review/

Reviews of the Super Flower Golden King series

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=221
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/SuperFlower/SF-650P14PE/
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Super-Flower-Golden-King-650-W-Power-Supply-Review/1626
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=252

NZXT HALE 90 series reviews

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NZXT/HALE90_850W/
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=199
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nzxt_hale90_750w/
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/12/13/nzxt_hale90_750w_power_supply_review/

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Corsair Force MP510 1,92 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 16 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 with Cherry MX Silent
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod 30 CM Magnetic Red LED strip
▲ hide details ▲
shilka is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 247 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 05:19 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
OkanG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Denmark
Posts: 2,113
Rep: 62 (Unique: 56)
I have an OCZ 600W PSU in my rig. Bought it from a friend, which used it for about two years. So now it's somewhere about 2,5 years old and still going strong! thumb.gif

wheee.gif
OkanG is offline  
post #3 of 247 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 05:22 AM
Linux Lobbyist
 
EternalRest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 709
Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
I used a Kingwin Lazer 850w before. Had it for about three years now in two different builds.

EternalRest is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 247 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 05:24 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 5,236
Rep: 751 (Unique: 667)
On the contrary I've seen more PSU's recommended that i'd never thought to try before (i.e. when I had a Rocketfish 900w) - yes Corsair / Seasonic / Silverstone / Antec PSU's get recommended a lot, but that is because they have a large body of quality work behind them. The biggest thing that I appreciate on here is that people are conscious of how much power a computer ACTUALLY takes, I've seen lots of forums recommending a 900W PSU for a i3 + 6850.

The reason some of those other brands aren't talked about much is, while they may have 1 or 2 good PSU's, their overall line up is either mediocre or absolute garbage, and I'd rather keep recommending a brand with good quality across the board than a PSU brand with a single specific good PSU. Of course that isn't to say I wouldn't recommend that specific PSU, but I will also state that the body of their work overall isn't great so simply buy that one thumb.gif

Always check back as I frequently edit my post - while we all try to be perfect in the information given, I'm here to learn just as much as you are.
appleg33k85 is offline  
post #5 of 247 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
Senior OCN Member
 
shilka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 38,155
Rep: 2748 (Unique: 1629)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalRest View Post

I used a Kingwin Lazer 850w before. Had it for about three years now in two different builds.
Then how do you feel about your Kingwin?
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleg33k85 View Post

On the contrary I've seen more PSU's recommended that i'd never thought to try before (i.e. when I had a Rocketfish 900w) - yes Corsair / Seasonic / Silverstone / Antec PSU's get recommended a lot, but that is because they have a large body of quality work behind them. The biggest thing that I appreciate on here is that people are conscious of how much power a computer ACTUALLY takes, I've seen lots of forums recommending a 900W PSU for a i3 + 6850.
The reason some of those other brands aren't talked about much is, while they may have 1 or 2 good PSU's, their overall line up is either mediocre or absolute garbage, and I'd rather keep recommending a brand with good quality across the board than a PSU brand with a single specific good PSU. Of course that isn't to say I wouldn't recommend that specific PSU, but I will also state that the body of their work overall isn't great so simply buy that one thumb.gif
Yes but i have seen more get Corsair/Seasonic they are good posts then i can count and i am getting a little tired of it

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Corsair Force MP510 1,92 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 16 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 with Cherry MX Silent
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod 30 CM Magnetic Red LED strip
▲ hide details ▲
shilka is offline  
post #6 of 247 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
Senior OCN Member
 
shilka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 38,155
Rep: 2748 (Unique: 1629)
Sory double post

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Corsair Force MP510 1,92 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 16 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 with Cherry MX Silent
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod 30 CM Magnetic Red LED strip
▲ hide details ▲
shilka is offline  
post #7 of 247 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 05:38 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Killa Cam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 1,958
Rep: 73 (Unique: 72)
valid point.

imo, seasonic deserves the credit they get because they make fantastic psus and a lot of other companies oem their designs, like the corsair ax series. corsair uses other oems for their other lines, but the reason why they're so heavily referred, is because of their outstanding customer service and warranty. something breaks or isn't functioning properly? rma is seamless with corsair. can other companies provide that piece of mind? idk.

but it does suck how people wont give other brands consideration. do i wish there was more balance and competition in the psu hardware side? yes. but corsair started from nowhere too. they get their recognition by producing quality components and offering great customer service to back it up. if others want to compete, they need to offer more for less than what brands like corsair and seasonic has which is pretty difficult.

not everyone are followers if thats what your assuming lol jk. you'll always have others who want to be different and i was like that too. but i submitted to corsair, so i guess that makes me a sheep... baaah! tongue.gif
Killa Cam is offline  
post #8 of 247 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 05:41 AM
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 12,731
I'm a bit confused, you have a Corsair 1200 PSU and you are getting tired of people pushing Corsair/Seasonic PSU's?

I use a variety of PSU's in my machines, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, Enermax, Corsair, Thermaltake, and even some "no name budget" units that I honestly can't remember any more. The reason why I usualy recommend Seasonic, PCP&C, and Enermax is because they are quality built units that often last me 7+ years. With me, they have a track history of being good units.

I'm sure some of the others you listed above might be just as good, but since I most often make recommendations to others based on what I've personally tried, since it is my name being used in the recommendation, not some 3rd party site, those are the supplies that I will go with.

Please don't take what I'm about to say the wrong way, but have you tried Kingwin, Super Flower, or NZXT power supplies yourself? Is your Corsair 1200 giving you issues? Are you in the market for another PSU because you are making another build? I'm just a bit confused by the post.


47 Knucklehead is offline  
post #9 of 247 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 05:41 AM
Linux Lobbyist
 
obsidian86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: on a wing and a prayer
Posts: 3,260
Rep: 263 (Unique: 213)
as much as you have a point the golden greens have become more reccomended lately in the form of the rosewill capstones

Quote:
Originally Posted by RlndVt go_quote.gif
There is a big difference between being involved & being committed. Take bacon & eggs for example, the chicken is involved but the pig is committed
obsidian86 is offline  
post #10 of 247 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter
Senior OCN Member
 
shilka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 38,155
Rep: 2748 (Unique: 1629)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa Cam View Post

valid point.
imo, seasonic deserves the credit they get because they make fantastic psus and a lot of other companies oem their designs, like the corsair ax series. corsair uses other oems for their other lines, but the reason why they're so heavily referred, is because of their outstanding customer service and warranty. something breaks or isn't functioning properly? rma is seamless with corsair. can other companies provide that piece of mind? idk.
but it does suck how people wont give other brands consideration. do i wish there was more balance and competition in the psu hardware side? yes. but corsair started from nowhere too. they get their recognition by producing quality components and offering great customer service to back it up. if others want to compete, they need to offer more for less than what brands like corsair and seasonic has which is pretty difficult.
not everyone are followers if thats what your assuming lol jk. you'll always have others who want to be different and i was like that too. but i submitted to corsair, so i guess that makes me a sheep... baaah! tongue.gif
Actually the Corsair AX1200 the AX760I the AX860I and the AX1200I is NOT made by Seasonic they are made by a company called flextronics

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/psu_manufacturers
http://www.10stripe.com/articles/who-made-your-power-supply.php
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/370
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

I'm a bit confused, you have a Corsair 1200 PSU and you are getting tired of people pushing Corsair/Seasonic PSU's?
I use a variety of PSU's in my machines, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, Enermax, Corsair, Thermaltake, and even some "no name budget" units that I honestly can't remember any more. The reason why I usualy recommend Seasonic, PCP&C, and Enermax is because they are quality built units that often last me 7+ years. With me, they have a track history of being good units.
I'm sure some of the others you listed above might be just as good, but since I most often make recommendations to others based on what I've personally tried, since it is my name being used in the recommendation, not some 3rd party site, those are the supplies that I will go with.
Please don't take what I'm about to say the wrong way, but have you tried Kingwin, Super Flower, or NZXT power supplies yourself? Is your Corsair 1200 giving you issues? Are you in the market for another PSU because you are making another build? I'm just a bit confused by the post.
I have tried the NZXT HALE 90 series a couple of times before and on a few points its better then the Corsair HX/AX series
And sory for the confusing no this thread is to inform people that there are PSU´s out there just as good or even a little better then the Corsair/Seasonic units if everyone will always say Corsair/Seasonic then smaller brand with good PSU´s could die out and that would be sad

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Corsair Force MP510 1,92 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 16 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 with Cherry MX Silent
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod 30 CM Magnetic Red LED strip
▲ hide details ▲
shilka is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off