Can you calculate power draw from TDP? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Can you calculate power draw from TDP?

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 386 (Unique: 300)
I know thermal design power refers to heat dissipation and not necessarily power consumption directly, but is it possible to estimate power draw from that? Just curious because the rumors of the new GeForce Titan (14 SMX, 2680 CUDA cores & a TDP of 235W) have me wondering what kind of power draw we can expect... if they're true. thinking.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 12:35 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 288 (Unique: 211)
Nope, TDP is irrelevant as far as power draw is concerned.

"I had a stroke of luck with money this afternoon tho. 1 of my parrots had a baby, so that's an extra $400." - james990
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Doh!

Well do you think it would be feasible to estimate based on the SMX count in comparison to the 680/GK104? Thanks for the quick reply btw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 12:48 AM
Overclock Failed...

Rep: 1249 (Unique: 969)
TDP refers to the maximum amount of power the cooling system in a computer is required to dissipate. Since pretty much all the power supplied to a video card (or CPU) is turned into heat, it's a safe assumption that the TDP is how much power a device will need to run at it's design maximum.
But TDP is "real world" power consumption. It is easy to exceed that value by running very taxing applications and/or overclocking.

What is the Thermal Design Power

Hope that answers your question.

https://www.overclock.net/images/smil...lame-small.gif5 GHz Overclock Club https://www.overclock.net/images/smil...lame-small.gifMisinformation is available from a variety of other sources. Misinformation is just like real information but wrong
....and enough power to shoot the speaker cones through the walls.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 12:49 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 288 (Unique: 211)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booty Warrior View Post

Doh!

Well do you think it would be feasible to estimate based on the SMX count in comparison to the 680/GK104? Thanks for the quick reply btw.
I wouldn't do that either, at least not with any reasonable measure of certainty, we don't know the clocks, we don't know how well they've optimized the architecture (production process issues/maturity associated with the changes/optimizations), etc.
Though I would be surprised if they reach 7970 power draw levels, and considering the nVidia approach/policy that debuted with Kepler, meaning minimal overvolting, I'd think they'll probably be pretty modest (draw wise) even under typical benching conditions (excluding voltmods and sub-zero sessions).

"I had a stroke of luck with money this afternoon tho. 1 of my parrots had a baby, so that's an extra $400." - james990
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

TDP refers to the maximum amount of power the cooling system in a computer is required to dissipate. Since pretty much all the power supplied to a video card (or CPU) is turned into heat, it's a safe assumption that the TDP is how much power a device will need to run at it's design maximum.
But TDP is "real world" power consumption. It is easy to exceed that value by running very taxing applications and/or overclocking.
That was my original thinking, but doesn't that directly contradict Sin's post?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Sin View Post

I wouldn't do that either, at least not with any reasonable measure of certainty, we don't know the clocks, we don't know how well they've optimized the architecture (production process issues/maturity associated with the changes/optimizations), etc.
Though I would be surprised if they reach 7970 power draw levels, and considering the nVidia approach/policy that debuted with Kepler, meaning minimal overvolting, I'd think they'll probably be pretty modest (draw wise) even under typical benching conditions (excluding voltmods and sub-zero sessions).
Fair enough. Looking at the rumored specs the chip looks extremely beefy, but NV could have some efficnency tweaks like they had between the two generations of Fermi. It will be interesting to see.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 01:37 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 1730 (Unique: 1138)
TDP can get you into the ballpark, but it could be off by a significant margin. With DESKTOP components, power draw is usually close to or a bit less than TDP, rarely over. This is because the chip manufacturers want their partners to design heatsinks for worst case scenarios. However, certain benchmarks can push certain graphics cards past their TDPs, e.g., Furmark.

Mobile devices have TDPs that are extremely close to their power consumption, usually within a watt or two. This is because both heat and power consumption are equally important to know very closely for a mobile device.

Burning books is like burning bras; after the adrenaline rush of the symbolic moment wears off all you're left with is a pile of ashes and unsupported boobs.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post

TDP can get you into the ballpark, but it could be off by a significant margin. With DESKTOP components, power draw is usually close to or a bit less than TDP, rarely over. This is because the chip manufacturers want their partners to design heatsinks for worst case scenarios. However, certain benchmarks can push certain graphics cards past their TDPs, e.g., Furmark.

Mobile devices have TDPs that are extremely close to their power consumption, usually within a watt or two. This is because both heat and power consumption are equally important to know very closely for a mobile device.
Interesting, thanks Phaedrus. That makes things a bit clearer. Really wish I could rep you after all the questions you've answered for me biggrin.gif!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 02:43 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 193 (Unique: 149)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

What is the Thermal Design Power

Hope that answers your question.

Not to thread jack but do you know my step dad Tracy Ramsey? Your name sounds familiar.
William Murphy

Reverse Chronological Order (Bold is currently in use)Overclocked Intel CPU History (Click to show)
i7-5820k 4.6GHz i5-4670k 4.8GHz, Xeon W5580 4GHz, Xeon X5690 6 core 4.2GHz, i5-3570k 4.7GHz, i5-2500k 4.8GHz, i5-2500k 4.4GHz, i5-2500k 4.6GHz, i7-960T 4.2GHz (first overclocked Intel CPU traded for my 960T)
Overclocked AMD CPU History (Click to show)
PHII x4 960T @x6 3.9Ghz 4.1GHz Turbo, PHII x2 555 @x4 4.0GHz
GPU History (Click to show)
GTX 970, Crossfire R9 290x, SLI GTX 580, GTX 690, GTX 670, GTX 680, HD7950, HD6950, HD5850, SLI 7800GTX, All-in-wonder, 3DFX Fusion 16mb AGP, SLI 3DFX Voodoo2 12mb PCI
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 01:37 AM
Overclock Failed...

Rep: 1249 (Unique: 969)
Quote:
Originally Posted by givmedew View Post

Not to thread jack but do you know my step dad Tracy Ramsey? Your name sounds familiar.
William Murphy
No, that name's not familiar to me.

https://www.overclock.net/images/smil...lame-small.gif5 GHz Overclock Club https://www.overclock.net/images/smil...lame-small.gifMisinformation is available from a variety of other sources. Misinformation is just like real information but wrong
....and enough power to shoot the speaker cones through the walls.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in