EVGA power supplies information thread - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

EVGA power supplies information thread

post #1 of 1181 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
Senior OCN Member

Rep: 2740 (Unique: 1626)
Alright time for another information thread and this one i am making because i am so tired of explaining over and over again why all the older EVGA units are so mediocre and not worth touching

This thread explains the SuperNova lineup
EVGA SuperNova lineup explained

First we have the EVGA SuperNova NEX650G and NEX750G aka G1

These are based on the FSP Aurum group regulated units and are pretty mediocre dont touch these they are not only mediocre but overpriced

photos (Click to show)

reviews (Click to show) Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750G retails for $139.99 in the US, while in the EU its price is 93.90€. Both prices don't include VAT.

Delivered full power at 45°C
Efficient
Good ripple suppression at +12V, 5V and 5VSB
Great amount of cables/connectors
Only uses Japanese caps
Excellent voltage regulation at 5V
5-year warranty (EVGA informed us that they offer a free upgrade to a 10 Year warranty on this model, after it is registered on their website)

Price
Loose voltage regulation on all rails except for the 5V rail
Crossload test results
3.3V rail failed on the second Advanced Transient Response test
Noisy fan (at high speed)

8.1Although the middle capacity NEX750G promises a lot and belongs to the high-end SuperNOVA series, the platform it is based on doesn't provide enough room for modifications that would allow it to meet the competition eye to eye. So, although it uses nothing but Japanese caps that manage to provide very good ripple suppression on all rails, voltage regulation is far from perfect, especially if the unit's disappointing performance on crossload tests is taken into account. We completely understand that EVGA wants to keep the cost as low as possible in order to provide this unit at a fair price, but its $140 price-tag is still too high for what this PSU has to offer. Strangely enough, its EU price-tag looks good in comparison to the competition, but hardware is much more affordable in the US, and the competition in America is tough; others may not provide eight PCIe connectors, but they do offer better performance and higher efficiency.

To wind up, the NEX750G comes with some really nice features including a ton of connectors, a unique design, the exclusive use of Japanese caps, and the five-year warranty, but its performance is limited by the platform it utilizes (the same applies to the FSP Aurum PSUs), and its high price doesn't help at all in achieving a high price/performance ratio. I think that a price close to $100 would significantly boost this unit's competitiveness by definitively helping it survive in a tough category where the competition offers products based on more sophisticated platforms that, inevitably, perform better.

Read more here
Why you should not buy an EVGA SuperNova NEX650G/750G (aka G1)

Next we have the EVGA SuperNova NEX750B aka B1 which is a semi modular 80 plus bronze rated unit made by FSP photos (Click to show)

Alright moving on to the the 1500 watt EVGA SuperNova unit
These are made by Etasis not FSP

photos (Click to show)

reviews (Click to show) Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

The EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500 Classified unit retails for $449.99

Delivered 1650 W at 47°C ambient, flawlessly
Great ripple suppression
Good voltage regulation at +12V
Tons of connectors mounted on extra-long cables
10 year warranty
Software control/monitor
Ability to adjust the voltage of the +12V rail
Can select the fan profile through software
Fully modular
Excellent build quality
Individual sleeved cables

Ultra high price
Not ErP Lot 6 compliant
Loose voltage regulation on the minor rails
5VSB failed at full load test (during normal operation, not in standby mode)
Terrible efficiency at 5VSB
Noisy fan
Low accuracy of the provided software

9.3The new EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500 Classified surely packs numerous features which, to a degree, justifies a stiff price. For starters, it is the strongest desktop PSU available on the market and it manages to deliver good voltage regulation on the +12V rail, whose voltage is fully adjustable, registers very high efficiency throughout most load levels, is equipped with a ton of connectors, uses high quality components, and has top-notch build quality. It, moreover, comes with a ten year long warranty, the longest I've ever seen in a desktop power supply. The features of this unit also include the SuperNOVA software through which the user can monitor and control the unit. However, the accuracy of all readings provided by the software is questionable. This is something that will hopefully be fixed in a new revision of the SuperNOVA program, although I believe that the hardware plays a key role in these measurements, something that cannot be changed so easily. Finishing with the advantages of the unit, I really love the fully modular design and its high quality, individually sleeved, modular cables that will please even the most demanding modders.
Let's take a look at the negatives I found, all of which don't spoil the overall positive impression of this PSU. First off, this entire unit is not ErP Lot 6 compliant, something that has a tremendous effect on the efficiency of the 5VSB rail. This is a problem that EVGA should solve immediately, since this directive was made for a reason and it is a shame to waste so much energy with the PSU in standby mode. The low voltage at 5VSB during the full load and overload test is, according to EVGA, a problem of the sample I had in my hands and not a general one. However, I cannot confirm this statement by EVGA until I test a second EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500 Classified. The good thing is that the 5VSB rail registered normal voltage readings in standby mode. The fan also emitted an annoying high-pitch sound at low RPMs, something I surely wasn't expecting from a Sanyo Denki fan.

The new NEX1500 is made for you if you own a suitable mainboard (e.g. an EVGA Classified SR-X) and three to four ultra high-end VGAs. This PSU is the strongest of its kind on the market today and comes with enough power to support not only four, but eight VGAs (for future mainboards). It surely has a high price-tag but is still priced lower than a high-end graphics card, and you will keep the PSU for much much longer.

Next we have the 430/500/500B/600B which is a non modular series made by HEC 430/500 are 80 plus and 500B/600B are 80 plus bronze rated
photos (Click to show)

reviews (Click to show) video (Click to show)

My thoughts on the 430/500/500B/600B are all of them are not very good they are even worse then the Corsair CX so they are below average in all areas avoid this series unless you are totally broke
Read more here
Why you should not buy an EVGA 430 / 500 / 500B / 600B PSU

Next we have the EVGA SuperNova B2 series, this is a semi modular 80 plus bronze rated series which is a based on the Super Flower Golden Green
Wattage is 750 and 850 watts
photos (Click to show)

review (Click to show)
Next we have the EVGA SuperNova G1 1000 watts which is made by FSP
This is a fully modular 80 plus gold rated unit
photos (Click to show)

reviews (Click to show)
Next we have the new EVGA SuperNova G2 / P2 / T2 series based on the new Super Flower Leadex platform this has NOTHING in common with the older mediocre EVGA SuperNova units this is actually a good series,

Wattage for the G2 series is 550 / 650 / 750 / 850 / 1000 / 1300 and 1600 watts

G2 photos (Click to show)

Reviews of the EVGA SuperNova G2
550 watts reviews (Click to show) 650 watt reviews (Click to show) 750 watt reviews (Click to show) 850 watt reviews (Click to show) 1000 watt reviews (Click to show) 1300 watt reviews (Click to show) 1600 watt reviews (Click to show) videos (Click to show)

EVGA SuperNova P2

Wattage for the P2 series 650 / 750 / 850 / 1000 / 1300 and 1600 watts
photos (Click to show)

video (Click to show)
650 watt reviews (Click to show) 850 watt reviews (Click to show) 1000 watt reviews (Click to show) 1200 watt reviews (Click to show) 1600 watt review (Click to show)
EVGA SuperNova T2

Wattage is 1600 watt but there is 750/850/1000/1200 watts on the way as well.
photos (Click to show)
850 watt reviews (Click to show) 1000 watt reviews (Click to show) 1600 watt reviews (Click to show)
Next is the EVGA SuperNova GS and PS series which are all Seasonic made.
The 550 and 650 GS watts are a new Seasonic platform and they are very average.
The 850 and 1050 watts GS units are Seasonic KM3S based, the 1000 watts EVGA SuperNova PS is a Seasonic XP2S.
photos (Click to show)

550 and 650 watt reviews (Click to show) 850-1050 watt reviews (Click to show)
Next is the new EVGA SuperNova GQ series made by FSP, this is a semi modular 80 plus gold rated series.
Wattage is 650 / 750 / 850 and 1000 watts.
photos (Click to show)
All of these came from jonnyguru

reviews (Click to show)

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Corsair Force MP510 1,92 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 16 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 with Cherry MX Silent
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod 30 CM Magnetic Red LED strip
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1181 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 05:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 150 (Unique: 49)
Shilka, the NEX750B is the FSP Raider.
post #3 of 1181 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
Senior OCN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwan456 View Post

Shilka, the NEX750B is the FSP Raider.

Oh that was a typo am going to fix that

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Operating System
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 1181 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 05:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 14)
Quote:
Final Thoughts

It is very clear right from the start that FSP gears the Raider 750W power supply for those who are conscious about price. Mainstream users typically aren't concerned about having the best performance possible, but rather the best performance for their money. These are the guys that will try to keep to sub-$250 processors, sub-$300 video cards, and sub-$150 power supplies. Many people are often surprised at the performance you cans squeeze out of a computer on a budget and it is because of little jewels like the FSP Raider 750W power supply that we can do so.

The unit sacrifices many of the things enthusiasts have demanded come standard with a power supply such as modular cabling, high efficiency, full cable sleeving, and sometimes even cable ties. It even gives up a little bit of build quality with the use of Teapo capacitors and some silence with the utilization of a 120mm fan instead of the more standard 140mm fan we are accustomed to seeing.

What FSP doesn't give up on is performance. Many times we have low budget, mid-range wattage power supplies fall out of specifications which can lead to system instability or blown components. The FSP Raider 750W doesn't have the super tight voltages we've seen with the $200 and $300 units that we've been testing as of late, nor is it meant to. It does a great job of utilizing the tolerances built into the ATX specifications.

What impressed us the most here though is the efficiency of the unit. Almost every unit we test follows the typical bell curve where voltage starts out low, rises toward peak efficiency at ~50% load, then falls again as it reaches full load. The FSP Raider may be Bronze rated, but it starts off with Gold level efficiency. The best part about this is that this is where the power supply will sit most of the time and give you the best efficiency while checking email, browsing the web and sitting idle.

All of this makes the FSP Raider 750W power supply very attractive. Things only get better when you factor in the five year warranty and the super low price of $81. One simply couldn't ask FSP to come up with a better bundle for such a low price, and those on a tight budget would be a fool not to consider the FSP raider 750W in their next build.

Read more at http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4974/fsp_raider_750_watt_80_plus_bronze_power_supply_review/index5.html#pYpl38VCdhsJHpge.99

for the price i don't think FPS are bad, yes there are other choices, but i didn't see anything wrong with all the reviews I read before buying mine (nex750b)

post #5 of 1181 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
Senior OCN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Fuego View Post

for the price i don't think FPS are bad, yes there are other choices, but i didn't see anything wrong with all the reviews I read before buying mine (nex750b)

Its FSP not FPS

What you have is based on the FSP Raider
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The Bottom Line

The FSP RAIDER 750W is a unit that is long on promises and short on delivery with one notable exception. The one notable exception is the unit’s noise output which was very low and made for a unit that would have had that something extra to earn some sort of recommendation had it not had so many other problems. However, the FSP RAIDER 750W suffers from a number of issues that start off with the unit’s documentation and initial support being atrocious. That is followed up by voltage regulation that is well outside of ATX12v specifications; Transient Load Tests results which are out of specification; and only "OK" DC output quality. Without the very good noise profile on this unit it is hard to find anything to like about FSP RAIDER 750W PSU. Don't let the sub-$100 price fool you into thinking the RAIDER 750W is a value.

Article Image

http://hardocp.com/article/2013/01/03/fsp_raider_750w_power_supply_review#.UaagJJzm4uB

The NEX750B is just as bad and mediocre as the NEX750G if not even more so

I still say anyone that has bought one of the old EVGA SuperNova´s has been ripped off and made a very poor choice

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Operating System
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 1181 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
Senior OCN Member

Got some more EVGA PSU´s news there are 3 more units on the way

First one is a non modular 500 watts 80 plus bronze unit made by HEC i really think this will be another dont touch this unit

Next up is the EVGA SuperNova P2 which will be based on the Super Flower Leadex BUT with full 80 plus platinum and its still fully modular looking forward to this one as i might buy it myself

Last one is the EVGA SuperNova 1300 watts the OEM for this is Super Flower and it will be 80 plus gold and fully modular

i think the 1300 watts SuperNova might be a Super Flower Golden Green thats been modified into being fully modular

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Operating System
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 1181 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
Senior OCN Member

EVGA SuperNova G2 1300 watts unboxing

The OEM for this unit is Super Flower so i belive its a Golden Green thats been rebranded

The EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 power supply is here. This power supply raises the bar with an 80 Plus Gold rating, with 1300W of continuous power, exceptional efficiency and a fully modular design. Not to mention, a first class 10 Year EVGA Warranty. The entire electrical design was engineered to be efficient, silent and optimized for the enthusiast. Take your system to the max with the EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2.

Key Features:

Exceptional 10 Year Warranty and unparalleled EVGA Customer Support
80Plus Gold Rating Pending, with up to 90% efficiency under typical loads
Single +12V rail delivers up to 108.3A
Superior vertical double layer main transformer increases power output
Fully Modular design reduces cable clutter
Highest Quality Japanese Solid State Capacitors
Quiet 14CM Double Ball Bearing Fan

http://www.techpowerup.com/185864/evga-supernova-1300-g2-power-supply-announced.html

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Operating System
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 1181 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 10:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 41 (Unique: 37)
Any reviews popped up about the SuperNOVA G2s yet? Would really like to make a judgment on my next PSU. I'm an EVGA guy and would like to actually give them consideration in the PSU this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B!0HaZard go_quote.gif
OCN. Where people need new pants whenever they learn that 5 years into the future, they, too, can improve their boot speed by 1/1000 of a second.

post #9 of 1181 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter
Senior OCN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridden View Post

Any reviews popped up about the SuperNOVA G2s yet? Would really like to make a judgment on my next PSU. I'm an EVGA guy and would like to actually give them consideration in the PSU this time around.

No but there is on the platform its based on the Super Flower Leadex

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=340

Just note there will be a P2 as well as a G2 and the P2 will be a little better

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Operating System
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
▲ hide details ▲
post #10 of 1181 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 09:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 41 (Unique: 37)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridden View Post

No but there is on the platform its based on the Super Flower Leadex

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=340

Just note there will be a P2 as well as a G2 and the P2 will be a little better

Thank you, but I am aware of that. Still doesn't mean that it wont have it's issues. EVGA just doesn't have the best track record with PSUs. It does have a 10 year warranty (the reason I like EVGA so much is the warranties) but I would prefer one that I wouldn't HAVE to RMA several times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B!0HaZard go_quote.gif
OCN. Where people need new pants whenever they learn that 5 years into the future, they, too, can improve their boot speed by 1/1000 of a second.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in