What do YOU want to see in a power supply? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

What do YOU want to see in a power supply?

post #11 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 05:30 PM
Not new to Overclock.net

Rep: 6214 (Unique: 3521)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyn3t View Post

This.

you must see my face when I received my Enermax Evo S Galaxy 1250w I thought they sent a snake instead a psu

IT'S A TRAP!

Quote:

This is how it looks now

Oh. It's just a PSU.

Loneliness is a good thing to share with someone.

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.
CPU
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage)
Motherboard
ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850)
GPU
MSI GTX 1070 Ti Gaming Titanium 8G
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9
Hard Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (OS)
Hard Drive
3 TB Toshiba P300 (D: drive)
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x
Cooling
Thermaltake Frio
Case
CM 690
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC)
Keyboard
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO
Mouse
Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate
Mousepad
It's just a mousepad
Audio
X-Fi Titanium HD
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable speaker wires)
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 31 (Unique: 23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

Oh, that's why I think it would be cool. Market it as the first high-end PSU with this design. I bet there are people who have been waiting for such a design.

Perhaps, but I'm not sure how big the market would be. Plus there are issues with EMI, etc. Normally the PSU's metal case acts as a Faraday cage to keep its switching noise from leaking to other devices, and to keep outside noise from affecting the PSU.

"More quotes have been misattributed to Albert Einstein than to any other famous person."
- Albert Einstein
post #13 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 05:32 PM
Not new to Overclock.net

Rep: 6214 (Unique: 3521)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

Personally when it comes to PSU its very limited segment for high end PSU 500W+. I bough a AX1200 for example because of the time and will probably be many years until i upgrade again. Having good PSU and lower price 350w-500w i think it more important to me when building general PC or PC with on OC or one GPU. Right now always end up getting the not so good but reliable Corsair CX series. Probably bought 4-5 of them for friends.

This.

Now that you mentioned it, I'd like to see some good modular and non-modular PSUs with at least one 6-pin PCI-E connector in the 300-400W range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Phaedrus View Post

Perhaps, but I'm not sure how big the market would be. Plus there are issues with EMI, etc. Normally the PSU's metal case acts as a Faraday cage to keep its switching noise from leaking to other devices, and to keep outside noise from affecting the PSU.

Whoa, I didn't know that it acts as a Faraday cage. So then, nevermind. Wow.

That's good to know.

Loneliness is a good thing to share with someone.

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.
CPU
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage)
Motherboard
ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850)
GPU
MSI GTX 1070 Ti Gaming Titanium 8G
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9
Hard Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (OS)
Hard Drive
3 TB Toshiba P300 (D: drive)
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x
Cooling
Thermaltake Frio
Case
CM 690
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC)
Keyboard
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO
Mouse
Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate
Mousepad
It's just a mousepad
Audio
X-Fi Titanium HD
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable speaker wires)
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 05:34 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 4426 (Unique: 2045)
SFX and other smaller form factors.

With the reduction in power consumption, trending towards SFF, and increase popularity of HTPCs.... I would like to see more innovation in 200-400w units.

i.e. Can you fit a 92mm fan in a SFX? Or how about a short ATX PSU with a 92mm fan?

To answer most of your questions: (1) a fridge cannot cool a PC (2) 64-bit OS for over 3.4GB (3) If a PCIe card fits, it should work (4) Resolution, not screen size (5) Report, not respond to Spam (6) Single-Rail/Non-Modular PSUs are not always better than Multi-Rail/Modular (7) Sequential does not matter as much as random for OS drives (8) Requirements come before hardware for servers

post #15 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 05:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 27 (Unique: 26)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaesthetic View Post

I'd love to see a few things (besides the usual with ripple, etc.)

1. A SILENT fan. Many PSUs these days seem to use awful fans for cooling their components. Yeah, Seasonic and some other OEMs do have the hybrid ability on their PSU, but sometimes, your PSU has to run at a load that triggers the PSU fan. And those fans can get quite loud.
  2. No ribbon cables. They are an absolute PITA to sleeve.
  3. On the topic of suggestion number one: Also make a kinda modular design for the fan to where you can easily pop off just the top to change the fan to one of your liking. Your GX line already uses 120mm fans, so if you created maybe a screwed in top (the entire top faceplate) that could easily be detatched with easily access to changing the fan, would pretty much be a solid choice.
  4. And please do 1-to-1 cabling. Please.

TL;DR: Customizability.

1 to 1 cabling - yes. User replaceable fan? No.

The manufacturer could never be satisfied that the replacement you use would be up to spec to cool the PSU properly. I would like to see this too, but I don't think it's possible due to warranty issues. I mean, what if someone replaces the ugly, loud (but efficient) stock fan for a silent, pretty (but low quality) fan and the PSU overheats and dies? You can't really expect the manufacturer to honor the warranty in this case. As it stands, you can replace the fan in your PSU, you just have to break the stickers on the housing and void your warranty to do it, which I think is fair.
post #16 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 05:54 PM
Retired Staff

Hmmmm.... is there any way to do a SATA cable with user defined plugs?

I personally make my own SATA cables with crimp-on plugs so I can have a nice clean run... one cable can easily supply 5 HDDs.

To answer most of your questions: (1) a fridge cannot cool a PC (2) 64-bit OS for over 3.4GB (3) If a PCIe card fits, it should work (4) Resolution, not screen size (5) Report, not respond to Spam (6) Single-Rail/Non-Modular PSUs are not always better than Multi-Rail/Modular (7) Sequential does not matter as much as random for OS drives (8) Requirements come before hardware for servers

post #17 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 06:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 591 (Unique: 374)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

IT'S A TRAP!

Oh. It's just a PSU.

yup that how it was when i told wife "jezz a snake in the box" she just ran away. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

SFX and other smaller form factors.

With the reduction in power consumption, trending towards SFF, and increase popularity of HTPCs.... I would like to see more innovation in 200-400w units.

i.e. Can you fit a 92mm fan in a SFX? Or how about a short ATX PSU with a 92mm fan?

ok back on topic

That would be great seen a smaller form factor psu with good looking chassis and lot real juice. today's smaller form factor psu does look ugly and no enough not juice to keep a good hardware safe. Just imagine a nice HTPC with the size a cablebox wubsmiley.gif

♦░▒▓█▓█ [Official] EVGA 780 Ti Classified k|ngp|n Owner's Club] █▓█▓▒░♦
♦░▒█▓▒░♦ [Official] NVIDIA GTX 780 Ti Owner's Club] ♦░▒█▓▒░♦
-=]░▒▓███ [Official] NVIDIA GTX 780 Owner's Club ███▓▒░[=-
█▓▒█▓♦ [Official] NVIDIA GTX 980 Owner's Club ♦█▓▒█▓
post #18 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 06:02 PM
Data Recovery Engineer

Rep: 1343 (Unique: 999)
Wait a minute... Since when dude you become a CM rep?

And I want to see the awesomeness that is found in the AX1200i

Only fools do not BACKUP their DATA!

"Everyone is an expert in something. Knowledge is acquired not earned. Always be humble and wise. Never look down on others ignorant in your ream of expertise."
Hsvkinyodh
(15 items)
CPU
3770k @ 4.5 1.384v
Motherboard
Asus Z77 Sabertooth
GPU
GTX 1070 Gaming 2126/2249 w/ Hybrid cooler
RAM
TridentX 16GB 2400MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
Hard Drive
Seagate 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic X 760W
Cooling
H105
Case
CM 690 II Adv
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Asus MG279Q - 24" 144Hz 1080p
Keyboard
Filco Majestic II w/ Cherry Reds
Audio
AKG A701
Audio
JDS Labs Objective 2
Audio
JDS Labs ODAC
▲ hide details ▲

post #19 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 06:06 PM
Retired Staff

Quote:

yup that how it was when i told wife "jezz a snake in the box" she just ran away. lol
ok back on topic

That would be great seen a smaller form factor psu with good looking chassis and lot real juice. today's smaller form factor psu does look ugly and no enough not juice to keep a good hardware safe. Just imagine a nice HTPC with the size a cablebox wubsmiley.gif

Silverstone has 450w in SFX but it is loud under full load. I'm guessing that 500w would be absolute max in a SFX. For an inaudible solution, I was hoping for like a 300w SFX unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Xeb View Post

Wait a minute... Since when dude you become a CM rep?

And I want to see the awesomeness that is found in the AX1200i
I think he got hired last week or the week before?

post #20 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 06:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 2)
Hybrid cooling design (i.e. the same technology/idea used on the VRM coolers of the ASUS Maximus VI Formula) with bundled software that will allow you to turn off the fan for silence, set your fan speeds, monitor efficiency and power draw, and temperatures. I think the hybrid cooling design paired with the option to allow you to turn the PSU fan off under lower temperatures would be a great option for those looking to liquid cool, or for those who just want to have a silent system. Also, removable/swappable plates (paintable) to color coordinate the PSU exterior with the system would be a great option, as long as it is not too gaudy (PSU's with LED fans tend to resemble inferior quality PSU's). If these features are integrated into high end, reliable power supplies, the targeted market (PC enthusiasts, modders, etc.) would likely increase.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in