What do YOU want to see in a power supply? - Page 22 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

What do YOU want to see in a power supply?

post #211 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 01:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 424 (Unique: 300)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta Squidge View Post

Right, so since you cant think of a use for it, there is clearly no application?

First, why should I buy a new board when I don't have to?
Secondly, you are assuming I want to go with either mATX or a prebuilt case in the first place.
Third, I already have a case design that will handle 2 Titans and my sabertooth z77 board in a 375x350x200mm case and an SFX PSU would save me even more space. Space that I could use for an extra fan or to relocate my optical drive.

And fourth, if you build it, designs will come. That is to say that the only reason why that case accepts a standard ATX power supply is because SFX form factor power supplies don't have the output needed for some of the potential rigs they had to design the case for.

There is potential to build cases that accept ATX boards and are as small as current mATX offerings - or smaller even if you use liquid cooling. A standard power supply is one of the largest components in a build.

I would be more than happy to pay extra for a liquid cooled SFX 850w power supply.

it would take a pair of 7990's to even approach putting a load on a 850w PSU... and that's ALOT of heat to dissipate in a mATX form factor. we all have our own eccentricities, however i doubt the market is large enough for them to engineer an entirely new PSU to satisfy that demand. as you mentioned, you are using a sabertooth... thats a full ATX board. ANY enclosure that CAN take an ATX board WILL take an ATX PSU... as for custom built chassis from scratch... it's not that hard to find room for an ATX PSU on something that takes a full ATX board and SLi in the 1st place.

there are plenty of examples of well designed chassis out there that does not waste space. there is little need to reinvent the wheel when it comes to ATX sized cases. after all, they've been building ATX sized cases since 1995.... I think they've tried pretty much everything by now biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 02:36 PM

yeah, you are right. Any case that can take an ATX board can handle an ATX PSU. I would still love the ability to get a larger window in the side of that case, and that would require a smaller PSU. Not everyone wants a large case, and not everyone wants to use mATX to do it.

It would be a specialty option, and would cost a pretty premium.

I would still buy it, were I to actually build that case.
post #213 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 03:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 424 (Unique: 300)
I understand what you are saying. but from a manufacture's point of view, they must determine if the market is large enough to justify the cost of designing and manufacturing of an entirely new PSU to serve that market.

as efficiency of PSU's go up and the demand for ITX go up, there MAY be a time that the demand become justifiable for a new PSU of that size, however I feel we are still quite a few years from that level of acceptance in the marketplace. for a 850w to be made in the SFX form factor, it MUST be at least platinum level efficiency for it to be anywhere near feasible to cool it down in the limited space available. there is also the raw component size. the transformer and capacitors are more or less of a fixed size for that power rating. fitting it inside a SFX PSU size is a technical challenge in itself.

lastly, they MUST keep the price inline. nobody is going to pay $1000 for a 850w SFX PSU unless your name happens to be NASA... and i'm pretty sure they build their own PSU there biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 03:26 PM

I am aware. And I also just said I would pay extra for one.

It doesn't have to be $1k. A limited run, water cooled PSU could be done even individually for less than $400 a pop. The most expensive part would be the waterblock, and hell... honestly I could make one in my garage with nothing more than a set of taps, a saw, files, a drill press, and a flat granite slab to smooth the contact faces.

I already have all of those things. The problem lies in building a PCB that can take advantage of it to reduce the footprint. I could W/C a PSU right now, but it would still be 160 by whatever mm in area, just not as tall.
post #215 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 03:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 439 (Unique: 336)
Its should go with out saying but lets get it out of the way anyway. The PSU should be good/reliable and deliver clean power.

Then I think things can be divided up into two categories. No frills PSU's and enthusiast PSU's.

Basically the the "no frills" line should be as cheap as possible (without compromising power delivery quality). Does not mater if its not modular, loud as hell, ugly, not sleeved cables. Just make it good and cheap. Something suitable for super low budget build's, folders ect. you get where I'm going.

Then for the enthusiast PSU wish list.

Make it silent. Not necessarily fanless but think Ty-140 running @ 700rpm silent.

Modularity is good. Even more awesome would be if there was extra cables so you could either have more sata or molex connectors. And be generous with the PCI-E cables. For example a 850W unit should have 6x PC-E cables don't you think (enough for 3 high end cards)?

Still pretty basic stuff but here are some more out there ideas.

I think it was mentioned all ready but some debug led's would be nice. Even something as basic as a little led above the modular connectors that show if power is being drawn form that particular cable.

For cooling It would be nice to see some high power (like seriously high power +1kw units with optional water blocks). I know there has been some PSU's with WC support like the Silentmaxx Fanless 500 but I have never seen a high power one.

And now for the weirdest idea of all. I wan't a PSU that you can reverse the air flow off meaning it would suck in air instead of exhaust it giving you more flexibility in how air is going to flow in your system potentially also cutting down on the PSU noise as it would get fresher air (would be very nice for people with most of there other stuff WC'd). Also combine that with a dust filter so it does not suck in ... well dust.

It might also sound weird but I think there would be a market for optional un-traditional cables. Like cables that are single strand instead of multi-strand so you would do 90° bends and have the cables actually hold the form or cables where the insulator is clear showing off the copper wire inside. That would be pretty cool.

Oh and someone should make different angled PCI-E adapters so it would be easier to route the cables.

Something in the style of this-->

The XFX 4890 post 2 year reference cooler fan bearing service
NZXT Tempest Community
[Worklog] NZXT Tempest eats a 360 rad (hopefully)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjas go_quote.gif

you under-estimate the power of e-peen, you'll whither and waiver to it's power, and finally succumb.
Bow to e-peen and buy.
post #216 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 03:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 260 (Unique: 207)
Quote:
Originally Posted by apxcore View Post

basically something like a rosewill capstone quallity and pricepoint but fully modular and an option to get totally custom cables perhaps sold unit without cables and buy them seperately, fully sleeved cables and piperock connectors like on the rosewill lightning http://www.rosewill.com/Mgnt/Uploads/ImagesForProduct/ImgPrd-1663-Cb[4724a1e0b1104918be3a0aebafb9b8b7].jpg , single color cables perhaps even uv reactive cabling/psu... i haven't really seen too much uv reactive stuff since dfi dropped out of the pc business and definitely extreme quality and ripple regulation atleast something competitive with superflower or seasonic. also modular 6+2 connectors would be pretty awesome as well

My thoughts thumb.gif
post #217 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 04:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 102 (Unique: 84)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta Squidge View Post

There are already plug and play watercooling solutions with certain server boards. A 1U rack that just slots in and uses quick connects to link up with the server case's hot and cold water supply lines.

These are perfectly safe.

There is no reason why you can't have a power supply that uses a solid, one piece waterblock on which the only connections are outside of the power supply's case. If the whole thing is watercooled, the entire PSU can be encased in a block of silicone for all it matters.

As for "some" being made with heatpipes, most good ones are now, not just some.

As for replacing the caps and fan on my PSU, I could do that... or I could just spend some money, swap it out, and my pc is down for an hour or two to route the cables.

Or, I could take my PSU out, take it apart, make a list of all the caps I need, put it back together, put it back in my PC... order the parts, wait for the parts to show up, take it all back apart, spend the afternoon replacing capacitors, test everything to make sure it wont start on fire the first time I plug it in, put it back, reroute all the cables again...

Yeah, I don't have the time for that, and I took a day off work... well, lets just say it would be cheaper to just buy a new power supply.

Perfectly safe for a server, where everything is always grounded, may not be perfectly safe for retail customers who use ungrounded outlets and have the There I Fixed It.com attitude. Why else is the big heatsink for the high voltage components of an air-cooled PSU sometimes connected directly to high voltage and never to earth ground? Because that's actually safer.

You're that slow at replacing caps? biggrin.gif
post #218 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 04:45 PM
TEC Veteran

Rep: 110 (Unique: 90)
Love the idea of selling a modular unit without cables, then selling cables separately with different lengths and sleeving options. Due to high markup on accessories like cables, it could be a money maker as well.

post #219 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larymoencurly View Post

Perfectly safe for a server, where everything is always grounded, may not be perfectly safe for retail customers who use ungrounded outlets and have the There I Fixed It.com attitude. Why else is the big heatsink for the high voltage components of an air-cooled PSU sometimes connected directly to high voltage and never to earth ground? Because that's actually safer.

You're that slow at replacing caps? biggrin.gif
Define slow, the afternoon would be the 3-4 hours I have between getting home from work and going to bed. Which are usually occupied with more important things.

Some people work 50-60 hours a week.

And it is no more dangerous than any other watercooling setup, if the fittings are, again, outside of the PSU case.
post #220 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 07:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 92 (Unique: 82)

~*~ AMD 1GHz OC ~*~ AMD 4GHz ~*~ Phenom II x4 955 4.1GHz ~*~ Proud Phenom1st 4.6GHz ~*~ ╥ AMD SuperPi 15.759s ╥ ~*~
~*~ AMD Vishera FX-83X0 Owners Club ~*~ Vishera FX-8350 5GHz ~*~ ╥ AMD SuperPi 14.450s ╥ ~*~
"We're looking at what Intel does—and we're not gonna do that." - Robert Hallock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in