Multiple Power supply Guide - Page 17 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Multiple Power supply Guide

post #161 of 185 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 06:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 58 (Unique: 52)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threefeet View Post

EDIT :: unless you're talking about splitting the required 12v power between the two PSUs, in which case I have no idea if it'll work
I am currently in the process of testing this. I have a 200w PSU and 250w PSU which I am going to try it with. I also made my own PCIe 6 pin to 4 pin molex plugs using the 20 pin mobo plug off of a dead PSU. I will have pics up soon. Theoretically it should work as the 4890 uses about 325w at full load and I'll have 450w of available power. Guess we'll find out soon enough
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 185 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 06:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 123 (Unique: 86)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksTricks007 View Post
Guess we'll find out soon enough
Guess we will!

You should check out Shinji2k's posts, he knows quite a lot about this

Meaning: much more than me lol

post #163 of 185 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 06:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Will do, thanks for the suggestion. I am almost ready to start testing. Pics of the equipment I made will be up shortly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #164 of 185 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 03:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Ok, so I just finished trying out my makeshift plugs and they don't seem to work when splitting the voltage between 2 PSUs. Unless I wired them wrong, which I'm 99.9% sure I didn't cause I followed THIS for the PCIe 6pin part and THIS for the 4 pin molex part. I connected each wire to the appropriate area. The 4 pin molex was actually 3 pins cause the GPU doesn't use the 5v signal. So I took the 3 12v and wired them into the 1 12v wire on the molex cable, and did the same for the Ground. I don't think that was the problem, otherwise why would they sell THIS. I know I could have bought one, but making one was part of this project. Does anyone with working knowledge of this type of thing think that splitting the voltage between 2 PSUs (meaning I have 2 PCIe 6pin connections on my GPU, 1 adapter is going to the first PSU and the other is going to the 2nd PSU) is the issue? By the way, the 2 PSUs in question work fine, are external and separate from my main PSU which is powering everything else inside my rig.
post #165 of 185 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 03:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 62 (Unique: 55)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksTricks007 View Post
Does anyone with working knowledge of this type of thing think that splitting the voltage between 2 PSUs (meaning I have 2 PCIe 6pin connections on my GPU, 1 adapter is going to the first PSU and the other is going to the 2nd PSU) is the issue?
This should work. Unless your having a sync issue, meaning, both PCI-e headers seeing equal power at the same time. Might be tricky depending on how you are powering up the rig.

I dont know the workings of a dual connector vid card, but I do know electricity a bit. 12 volts to each should do the trick, no matter where it comes from so long as it supplies the amperage when the card pulls on it.

First thing I would to is get out my multimeter and check continuity and resistance through all my connectors to ensure good contact. Make the connection at the card and check resistance through the header on the card as well. Put one probe in the backside of your home-made connector and put the other probe on the trace or solder point on the card. If everything checks out, turn on the PSU's and check for voltage at the appropriate traces/solder points on the card. Check all the grounds too, power is useless if you dont ground it. If you are getting 12v at all points on the card, and you have verified your grounds, I call it a bad card. Like I said, it shouldnt matter where the 12v comes from, so long as its there and doesnt back down when the card starts pulling more amps (gaming/folding).

post #166 of 185 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 03:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
ty very much (:
works as charm lol (except the strange noises o_O)
post #167 of 185 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 03:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
this is great! any suggestions on mounting the second psu in the case?

post #168 of 185 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 02:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hi I tried this with my PSU and heard some quiet sound, but it didn't turn on and when I plugged it back into my PC there was no reaction. tried it with another PSU and exactly the same thing, both are apparently dead. and yes I connected the green and black.
any help and suggestions would be most appreciated.
post #169 of 185 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 03:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Not using old AT psu's are ya? Did you have any load on the powersupplies.. I have seen some before that wouldnt powerup without load.

Sacrifices to the god of speed:i386 DX-40 - Blew at 80 (I learned to add fans)i486 DX-66 - Blew at 133 Laughed big time! PIII 733 @ 931 - fan failed whilst on holiday. (cried)
CeleronD - PSU failure PentiumD - Dropped a core ??? Conroe - Went to retirement!Wolfdale - Childrens toy Coffee Lake 8600k - Awesome!

post #170 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 10:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 26 (Unique: 22)
I have a question and a little info this thread may find interesting.

First my question: if a mobo uses an 8 pin connection for the CPU, but the PSU has 2 4 pin connectors, can the two 4 pins be used to fill the 8 pin? I have read that they can usually run on a single 4 pin connector

Now the interesting info: Car amplifiers (for speaker and subs) use 12V DC power, so you can use a PSU to power a car amp and speakers. All you have to do is make a jumper like this guide states; take any 12V output from the PSU and attach one to the 12V power and one to the Remote line (what tells the amp to power on, so you can put a switch in the path to control the amps power) then hook up your speakers and you're good to go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in