Multiple Power supply Guide - Page 19 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Multiple Power supply Guide

post #181 of 185 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 06:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 179 (Unique: 162)
Just wondering... If you jump the second PSU and plug fans or watercooling pumps on it, normally they will stay on permanently unless the PSU itself is turned off right?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ____ go_quote.gif
Toothpaste, it will also make your computer minty fresh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhaven go_quote.gif
Hire a big day-laborer for $40, rent an Italian suite for him, and then have him stand next to your PC all night frowning at passersby and shaking his head, "No."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox me go_quote.gif
I think it's obvious humans weren't the lead platform. We got saddled with cat ports.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 185 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 02:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I have an 8 year old 850 watt power supply and a 3 year old 350 watt power supply. I have 2 SATA hdd, and 1 IDE DVD drive. I just purchased a video card that needs 2 6pin PCI Express connectors. (I will use the supplied Molex adapters though)
What would my ideal dual PSU setup be? Which power supply should be the main and what should each power supply power? I only have 2 fans, including the CPU fan.

Thanks.

post #183 of 185 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 06:12 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 1730 (Unique: 1138)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey23art View Post
I have an 8 year old 850 watt power supply and a 3 year old 350 watt power supply. I have 2 SATA hdd, and 1 IDE DVD drive. I just purchased a video card that needs 2 6pin PCI Express connectors. (I will use the supplied Molex adapters though)
What would my ideal dual PSU setup be? Which power supply should be the main and what should each power supply power? I only have 2 fans, including the CPU fan.

Thanks.
Neither. Buy a new PSU.

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean it's a good idea. I plan to make some major revisions to this guide to make clear when it's a good idea to dual PSU, and when it will end in tears.

Burning books is like burning bras; after the adrenaline rush of the symbolic moment wears off all you're left with is a pile of ashes and unsupported boobs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 185 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 11:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 326 (Unique: 247)
I have 2 Corsair 600 watts PSU's (one is CX & the other GS) that I would like to use for my sig until I get my original PSU returned from TT.

The guide seems outdated and intended for old PSU's.....would it work for newer psu's? (the pics are all missing)

RAIL Does Not Mean POWER.

Look up this Database before buying a PSU.

post-flame-small.gif_.=5 GHz Overclock Club=._post-flame-small.gif
post-flame-small.gif_. I <3 Mechanical Keyboard._ post-flame-small.gif
post #185 of 185 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 08:18 PM
TEC Veteran

Rep: 110 (Unique: 90)
If you connect the green from the slave psu and the nearest ground to the corresponding pins on the motherboard connector, they will both turn on and off together both with the main switch and for hibernation.

Like stated though, there are few times when dual PSUs are neccesary or even worthwhile.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in