Multiple Power supply Guide - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Multiple Power supply Guide

post #21 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 560 (Unique: 329)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnMcGrail
Just a question. I have a second PSU (no-name) with pretty good specs running my HDD, CD, Fans, and lights. Should I leave my HDD on there? or put it on the main one
If you leave your computer on it would be fine to leave it on there.. i dont know if it would cause problems if your computer is off and your hard drive is on, I will do it today to an old 2gig drive and see if it kills it or if it does anything at all..

you can do the switch if you need easy access to it to turn it off..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 06:15 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 356 (Unique: 194)
Well... It works fine, I just have to make sure I turn on my spare PSU before I turn on the main or I'll get no HDD boot. Thanks anyway.

post #23 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 03:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 52 (Unique: 49)
Rep point awarded. +1

For oeminfo edit guide:
Make it look good.
How to use pics, colors and fonts in posts.
Tips and tricks

whistle.gif Please REP+ if I helped, or helped help. whistle.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 05:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 115 (Unique: 79)
i'm wondering, can't you just join the wires form your main PSU to your secondary, so when you hit the power switch (on the front of your case) is starts em both up at the same time, this would require a pair of longs wires running through your PC (not like that a new thing)

about placement, i'd say on the base of your case, it would require some PCI slot cutting though, for this you'd want to have a second fan attached to the PSU so it doesn't put too much extra heat into your Case,

How to start programs easily HERE

Media PC Here
post #25 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 10:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
its great to find my questions answered before i ask them. now i just need to find room in my tower...

post #26 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 03:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

[QUOTE=blair]i'm wondering, can't you just join the wires form your main PSU to your secondary, so when you hit the power switch (on the front of your case) is starts em both up at the same time, this would require a pair of longs wires running through your PC (not like that a new thing)[QUOTE]

i'm not a computer guy by nature. but i can build all most ANYTHING. as long you test it before plugging it in a papper clip would work (usinig spookedjunglist idea as a refrance) its the capitors that will make you go oh @*%$!!! not the leads there only at 12vdc +/- and the amps are low. usinig spookedjunglist idea as a refrance i would say instead of conecting the PS_ON and a COM. ide remove the wires (PS_ON and a COM) from the second PSU 20 pin conector tie up or cut off the rest(not the MOLEX we want those) and attatch one half of a 2 pin conector to the PS_ON and a COM to PSU #2.
then do the same to PSU #1, instade of removing the 20 pin conector fish the PS_ON and a COM out the back and attatch the other half of the 2 pin conector. like the MOLEX/fan plugs. this way you dont have to juggle 2 PSUs into your case you can put one in at a time then plug'em to gether

sounds like it would work

post #27 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 09:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

what do you know it did work. no sparks every thing works off of the same switch and i got my P4 from 2.74 upto 2.88 mabe higher tomorow

ps. tell me how to post pics and i'll show you

post #28 of 185 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 11:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 13)
Here is my idea:

Cut the 20pin conector off. but leave the ps-on and 1 ground wires, aswell as 12V,5V and appropriate Grnds.
Wire the ps-on and Gnd to the existing PSU so the Mobo turns both PSU's on.
Use the remaining yellow(12V) and Orange(5V) and appropriate Grnds, and put molex conectors on them.
Would this be ok??
As I dont like the idea of using pin jumpers without plastic plug/insulators.
And Id gain at leat 1 molex from the cut 20pin.

Also, could I use any of the yellow(12V), and Orange(5V) wires to power devices (ie: lights, fans)?? Or because its a switching PSU this wont work??

bangas.
post #29 of 185 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 09:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangas
Here is my idea:

Cut the 20pin conector off. but leave the ps-on and 1 ground wires, aswell as 12V,5V and appropriate Grnds.
Wire the ps-on and Gnd to the existing PSU so the Mobo turns both PSU's on.
Use the remaining yellow(12V) and Orange(5V) and appropriate Grnds, and put molex conectors on them.
Would this be ok??
As I dont like the idea of using pin jumpers without plastic plug/insulators.
And Id gain at leat 1 molex from the cut 20pin.

Also, could I use any of the yellow(12V), and Orange(5V) wires to power devices (ie: lights, fans)?? Or because its a switching PSU this wont work??

bangas.
yeh that s what i did i removed all the non 12vdc (yellow and =black) and soldered on fan plugs it gave me 4 more 12vdc plugs. so now i have a dedacated 400w psu for my mobo and 350w for my fans and drives. it frees up all that wasted OCing power

post #30 of 185 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 03:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannaplaygames
yeh that s what i did i removed all the non 12vdc (yellow and =black) and soldered on fan plugs it gave me 4 more 12vdc plugs. so now i have a dedacated 400w psu for my mobo and 350w for my fans and drives. it frees up all that wasted OCing power
but wot u think about "hot-wireing" the ps-on wire from the 1st PSU for the 2nd PSU?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in