So seasonic saved me from a fire, or did it? - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

So seasonic saved me from a fire, or did it?

post #31 of 228 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 12:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 224 (Unique: 145)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post

Don't make stuff up. A computer wouldn't even begin to boot if this were the case - and it sure wouldn't take 1.5 YEARS for the PSU to show a problem.

excuse me but why would you say this?? I work with power for a living and troubleshoot electrical and power faults for a living. I have seen this many a time with PSU's. I also do investigation to determine cause of faults and write reports on this....

as a matter of fact about a week ago I did this with my X-850 Had a direct short (I know it did not because i made a custom fan harness and did not heat shrink the solder connections) the computer started up and ran for 10 to 15 minutes until I smelled smoke and shut it down. I did not hurt PSU but I manged to burn up a 3 pin fan from a molex output extension...

see below picture. not the exact same thing but still a short and heat caused this because of the current the wire was carrying! Heat causes this and it takes current to cause heat. because heat is the amount of work electricity does so the more work the more heat. if one is having to do enough work to cause the wire insulation and the connector to melt then there is too much work being done and usually that is because of either a direct or close to direct short!

Also it was not 1.5 years as the 290's have not been out for that long!

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Build Log Ukrainian Banderas devil.gifgunner2.gifgunner.gifsniper.gif

Just playing with cooling and Computers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 228 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 113 (Unique: 85)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Sonic Rep View Post

We take all quality issues seriously and melted connectors is something we set at high priority to investigate. At this point, we have reviewed our design and component usage and everything is so far in order. Our investigation continues...
Thank you for replying to my message and dropping by thumb.gif
I do appreciate and will follow up with you later in the day

The information I found about the power supply was this:
[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
http://www.seasonicusa.com/NEW_X-series_KM3_650-750-850.htm
"A strong +12V single rail ensures the maximum provision of 12V power to energy-hungry components such as CPU and VGA card, minimizing the likelihood of overload shut down."

I don't think the r9 290x is pulling too much unless this has something to do with a multiple rail design power supply which is said to be single rail?

The r9 290x pulls 30 ish? think it is something under 35A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post

You're the one that didn't read the entire original post - that or you might want to get your eyes checked. I don't really care that you got a faulty PSU cable - that doesn't mean it's some regular occurrence or that it can manifest itself 1.5 years down the road. And there's no need to insult you, you're doing a pretty good job of making yourself look like a fool all on your own.
Cmon Mike! We are all ocn frown.gif
At the end of the day I'm glad my home didn't burn down, what I'm more worried with is this "gold rated" 750 watt power supply that says to have a [email protected] rail which can't handle a 30A card. I too really would like to know why this PSU wanted to start a fire inside my rig frown.gif
post #33 of 228 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 03:45 AM
Hardware Rep

Rep: 51 (Unique: 42)
The power supply is for sure not trying to burn your house down. The power supply only provides the power that is needed by the components so if the R290x needs 350w, then the PSU will allow it to pull this power. The problem right now is how much power can the connectors withstand. We are looking into this issue. The power supply already uses high current connectors but if the power draw by the VGA is too high, it is possible even the high current connectors cannot handle the heat generated.

Also please note, our power supplies are all safety (UL) approved so the chance of a continued burn on its own, is very limited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 228 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Sent in an RMA request and emailed Walter
Hopefully I can receive a reply with some information in it.
Still upset, I don't think I'd plug in another Seasonic X 750 at this point.
post #35 of 228 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Well. I'll be sending the PSU in for a replacement as soon as I buy the corsair or evga supernova.

I think the whole mentions of my connector being melted on both ends are somewhat ignored or seasonic does not really care.
Still unsure why newegg lists this power supply as a single rail design when it is multi rail design. If a X750 can't handle 1, I'd be stupid to expect a X1250 not to melt 3 R9 290x

Anyhow, I will keep updates in this thread, not going to post copies of emails and what not, just a little bit disappointed with the customer service.
At least Raffy had good luck with them. I'm sure if every component in my computer fried I'd receive the same service.
post #36 of 228 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 01:52 AM
Hardware Rep

Rep: 51 (Unique: 42)
Quote:
Originally Posted by INCREDIBLEHULK View Post

Well. I'll be sending the PSU in for a replacement as soon as I buy the corsair or evga supernova.

I think the whole mentions of my connector being melted on both ends are somewhat ignored or seasonic does not really care.
Still unsure why newegg lists this power supply as a single rail design when it is multi rail design. If a X750 can't handle 1, I'd be stupid to expect a X1250 not to melt 3 R9 290x

Anyhow, I will keep updates in this thread, not going to post copies of emails and what not, just a little bit disappointed with the customer service.
At least Raffy had good luck with them. I'm sure if every component in my computer fried I'd receive the same service.

Incrediblehulk,
I am not sure why you would say... "somewhat ignored or seasonic does not really care". You have obtained a RMA number and our USA office will send a prepaid shipping label to you (if not already done so). We are in contact via e-mail over this matter and each mail you have written, we have responded.

We have asked you to please send both the PSU and the VGA to us so we can check for the root cause of the matter. You have mentioned that you do not wish to send the VGA to us for testing as there can be risk for damage in transit and or by our personnel, we understand this and we honour your wishes. As well, you mentioned that you will send the PSU to us after you have purchased another PSU in the next 2 weeks, this is also ok for us.

Please advise what more we can do in this situation. Thank you.
post #37 of 228 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 10:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 24 (Unique: 21)
The "problem" is that the PSU doesn't have proper over-current protection. All high power single rail power supplies suffer from this. Many power supplies with "improper" over-current protection also suffer from this.

A loose connection with a high power device (usually GPU and CPU) will result in cables melting and on most power supplies there's no workaround against it. It's not a problem with a specific OEM. It happens with most current designs.

That's it pretty much.
post #38 of 228 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Sonic Rep View Post

Incrediblehulk,
I am not sure why you would say... "somewhat ignored or seasonic does not really care". You have obtained a RMA number and our USA office will send a prepaid shipping label to you (if not already done so). We are in contact via e-mail over this matter and each mail you have written, we have responded.

We have asked you to please send both the PSU and the VGA to us so we can check for the root cause of the matter. You have mentioned that you do not wish to send the VGA to us for testing as there can be risk for damage in transit and or by our personnel, we understand this and we honour your wishes. As well, you mentioned that you will send the PSU to us after you have purchased another PSU in the next 2 weeks, this is also ok for us.

Please advise what more we can do in this situation. Thank you.

Yeah Kevin and Walter are helping me out. They have sent a replacement for me and I am going to be shipping the psu back.
I am glad you understand about the GPU. It's quite unrealistic for me to send a high value GPU to a company to "test further" and risk my whole warranty when that company has no liability. Would be almost as bad as me buying a X-1250 to plug in 3 of these cards and have 3x the issue I had with one tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

At least your customer support is decent. I do hope they find a solution to the problem and hope it doesn't having something to do with the multi rail designed psu being pushed as single rail
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyM4n View Post

The "problem" is that the PSU doesn't have proper over-current protection. All high power single rail power supplies suffer from this. Many power supplies with "improper" over-current protection also suffer from this.

A loose connection with a high power device (usually GPU and CPU) will result in cables melting and on most power supplies there's no workaround against it. It's not a problem with a specific OEM. It happens with most current designs.

That's it pretty much.
That and the advertisement of single rail specs on sites like newegg when it's a multi rail design frown.gif Pretty easy to overload one rail and the other has no load

https://www.overclock.net/t/1215732/seasonic-x-1250-vs-corsair-ax1200/10 I wonder if that was some faulty testing about rail design in there ( or in the dozens of scattered threads online thumb.gif )
post #39 of 228 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 03:43 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
I do not recommend X1250 or any Season PSU. My x1250 died just over 6 months, replacement died in 10 days. Using 2nd replacement now received about 2 weeks ago. My X750 pci connector and power supply 8-pins melted too. It was used on 7970 water cool. I just rma last week.
Seasonic used to be very good quality but things changed..
I will upload photos when I got home.

post #40 of 228 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 03:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
How comes no prepaid labels when I return both my psu? Seasonic rep?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in