So seasonic saved me from a fire, or did it? - Page 5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

So seasonic saved me from a fire, or did it?

post #41 of 228 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 04:51 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 487 (Unique: 382)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Sonic Rep View Post

Incrediblehulk,
I am not sure why you would say... "somewhat ignored or seasonic does not really care". You have obtained a RMA number and our USA office will send a prepaid shipping label to you (if not already done so). We are in contact via e-mail over this matter and each mail you have written, we have responded.

We have asked you to please send both the PSU and the VGA to us so we can check for the root cause of the matter. You have mentioned that you do not wish to send the VGA to us for testing as there can be risk for damage in transit and or by our personnel, we understand this and we honour your wishes. As well, you mentioned that you will send the PSU to us after you have purchased another PSU in the next 2 weeks, this is also ok for us.

Please advise what more we can do in this situation. Thank you.

Hats off to you. This is excellent CS right here. Following up with the user personally and seeing the process through. thumb.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 228 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 113 (Unique: 85)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade4246 View Post

I do not recommend X1250 or any Season PSU. My x1250 died just over 6 months, replacement died in 10 days. Using 2nd replacement now received about 2 weeks ago. My X750 pci connector and power supply 8-pins melted too. It was used on 7970 water cool. I just rma last week.
Seasonic used to be very good quality but things changed..
I will upload photos when I got home.

Quote:

How comes no prepaid labels when I return both my psu? Seasonic rep?

Please do upload photos and keep us informed of what is happening.

I am a bit taken away about the advertisement of a single rail design when it is actually not, it's things like this that cause me to lose respect for a company.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmark2 View Post

Hats off to you. This is excellent CS right here. Following up with the user personally and seeing the process through. thumb.gif

I messaged him before making the thread and RMA, he did not randomly stumble across this issue to provide "excellent CS"
I also message him after with my actual RMA so he could hopefully help considering these issues are popping up left and right.
Excellent customer service would be addressing the multiple rail design being advertised as single rail tongue.gif
post #43 of 228 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 05:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 24 (Unique: 21)
You've got your facts wrong. Your 750 watt PSU is using a single rail design. That's the problem here. That's why the cables melted. If the PSU had properly configured multiple rails it would not fry.

Now, the 1250 watt version uses a multi-rail design but has the OCP limit for some of it's connectors set too high (45A). Setting the limit to 45 amperes can also result in fire if the connection is not tight enough or the cable is very long or even very thin.

In short.

Proper multi-rail design with OCP set at sane levels: System shuts down instead of catching fire when treated with too much current.

Improper multi-rail design: Either the system shuts down with no reason, or cables melt when it's treated with too much current.

Single rail design: Cables melt when the system is treated with too much current.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 228 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 05:55 PM
Adclock.net

Rep: 144 (Unique: 129)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seross69 View Post

problem might be with the 290'x also pins hooked up wrong or something like this. If you guys have problems need to get together so you can prove it not just one time happening. let us know how it turns out!!

Customer service is a big thing to me. I will pay more for good service and have in the past and will continue to...

A truer statement could never of been made, I too pay more for things if the service is good, And i'm quite willing to.

Click For Awesome (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Mule go_quote.gif

Me and my roommates watched a standalone video of a guy demonstrating it on YouTube. I lost it when he started stroking it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen00 go_quote.gif

I like robo-butts and I can not lie, microchips with a great wave line...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunechi go_quote.gif

I honestly don't think there's any way to explain it without it sounding weird or one's imagination taking a ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy_van go_quote.gif

I can't even remember the last time I grounded myself before handling stuff.
Unless it's the middle of the winter and I'm moonwalking across my carpet in socks before tearing a PC apart I'm not worried about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan go_quote.gif

A laptop is still a PC, albeit a portable one. You can tell how many laptops there are by looking at the 1366*768. Most people don't play...biggrin.gif

post #45 of 228 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 113 (Unique: 85)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyM4n View Post

You've got your facts wrong. Your 750 watt PSU is using a single rail design. That's the problem here. That's why the cables melted. If the PSU had properly configured multiple rails it would not fry.

Now, the 1250 watt version uses a multi-rail design but has the OCP limit for some of it's connectors set too high (45A). Setting the limit to 45 amperes can also result in fire if the connection is not tight enough or the cable is very long or even very thin.

In short.

Proper multi-rail design with OCP set at sane levels: System shuts down instead of catching fire when treated with too much current.

Improper multi-rail design: Either the system shuts down with no reason, or cables melt when it's treated with too much current.

Single rail design: Cables melt when the system is treated with too much current.

The x 1250 shows up as a single rail design on the sites specifications

How did a 32A card melt the connector of a 10xA rail?

So for a system with 3-4 290x you are saying to get a MULTI rail design instead of a SINGLE rail design?
It seems not too many PSUs with multi rail design have high Amp rails to handle the 290x.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194106

This is a 1500 watt power supply with 6 12v rails. None of them are capable of handling 32A card. Wouldn't it be better to buy the single rail power supply with a 105A rail that could handle 3 cards on it instead of putting 32A card on 25A and 30A rails?
post #46 of 228 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 06:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by INCREDIBLEHULK View Post

Please do upload photos and keep us informed of what is happening.

I am a bit taken away about the advertisement of a single rail design when it is actually not, it's things like this that cause me to lose respect for a company.

The X750 was purchased on January 2013. my 7970 never goes above 55C. Melted.. some plastic stuck in the 6-pin pci-e connector on my 7970.

The problem for the X1250 was.. it won't turn on after shut down (restart OK), have to wait. (sometimes few mins, sometimes over 10 hours. never know, so I can't turn off my pc) when overload or overclock GPUs, like gaming or benching, it just shut down. Both X1250's (the replacement too) same problem.

post #47 of 228 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 06:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 224 (Unique: 145)
Quote:

In short.

actually you have a lot of your facts wrong here or you do not explain your self very well...

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Build Log Ukrainian Banderas devil.gifgunner2.gifgunner.gifsniper.gif

Just playing with cooling and Computers
post #48 of 228 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 06:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

The X750 was purchased on January 2013. my 7970 never goes above 55C. Melted.. some plastic stuck in the 6-pin pci-e connector on my 7970.

The problem for the X1250 was.. it won't turn on after shut down (restart OK), have to wait. (sometimes few mins, sometimes over 10 hours. never know, so I can't turn off my pc) when overload or overclock GPUs, like gaming or benching, it just shut down. Both X1250's (the replacement too) same problem.

WOW all I have to say is I am glad I make all custom cables for my PSU's as this is a problem with the cable and connector for it to get hot enough to do this...

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced

post #49 of 228 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 06:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 24 (Unique: 21)
The manufacturer lists the PSU as a single rail design for users who lack the related knowledge and have the impression that using a single rail is better, due to the excessive amount of advertising based brain-washing they received all these years.

The card burned the connector because each ~500-600mm 18awg wire (this is the usual length and thickness of standard PCIe ATX wires) can usually deliver about 7 amperes (actually a little more or less depending on various factors) before burning.

Now, each 8 or 6 pin PCIe power cable has 3 of those wires for the 12v output. The 290x takes 2 of those cables and if one of them was loosely connected then not only does it waste current and needs to send even more, but makes the other cable send more current too.

At the point in which the 3 wires on the one connector are asked to send more than ~25 amperes in total (because either this connector, or the other connector is loosely connected) then the fun begins and the wires start melting. biggrin.gif

OK, that's not quite accurate, but is more or less what happens.
post #50 of 228 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 06:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

The manufacturer lists the PSU as a single rail design for users who lack the related knowledge and have the impression that using a single rail is better, due to the excessive amount of advertising based brain-washing they received all these years.

The card burned the connector because each ~500-600mm 18awg wire (this is the usual length and thickness of standard PCIe ATX wires) can usually deliver about 7 amperes (actually a little more or less depending on various factors) before burning.

Now, each 8 pin PCIe power cable has 3 of those wires for the 12v output. The 290x takes 2 of those cables and if one of them was loosely connected then not only does it waste current and needs to send even more, but makes the other cable send more current too.

At the point in which the 3 wires on the one connector are asked to send more than ~25 amperes in total (because either this connector, or the other connector is loosely connected) then the fun begins and the wires start melting. biggrin.gif

OK, that's not quite accurate, but is more or less what happens.

ok this is a much better statement

the problem here to me has nothing to do with single or multi-rail design more so with either inadequate design or poor manufacturing of the cables and connectors. could be as simple as a bath of cables made that did not have good crimps to the pins. I have taken connectors apart and found that they did not have enough insulation stripped back so crimp is on insulation and not the conductor..

all of this is just fluff and talk, not what our man INCREDIBLEHULK wants or needs to hear. he needs to know about the reason why these PSU's are advertised or reported as being different at different sites.. and I agree this does concern me. He also want's assurances this is not going to start an actual fire... Home and family is a lot more important than this... I could say a lot more on this issue but don't think it needs to be said on a open forum...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in