Silverstone SFX Series PSUs (ST45SF-G/SX600-G/SX500-LG) Owners Club - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Silverstone SFX Series PSUs (ST45SF-G/SX600-G/SX500-LG) Owners Club

post #21 of 215 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 04:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by themojo View Post

WTH. Maybe I should have searched the globe for a v1.0. My SX600-G v1.1 fan NEVER TURNS OFF. It also sound like a mini chainsaw at low RPM. Or maybe SilverStone is sending the good PSUs to Linus for review. Here's a video I made of my M1's SX600-G with 2 Noctua 120mm rad fans and a DDC 3.2 pump running at low RPM. I even disconnect the pump towards the end. You barely even notice I did anything. The PSU fan sucks and never turns off, at boot, idle, doesn't matter. It just grinds away.

Anyways, I'll be the first to mod it if someone comes up with a solution. We all now know that NoiseBlocker fan replacement won't cut it.

Oh wow you have a v1.1 of the SX-600G? I wonder what changed from v1.0?

As far as fan modding, I think it isn't that the Noiseblocker fan *won't* work, but more that the PSU fan header won't provide enough voltage for that fan. That said, I've gone and put the fan (we are talking about the NB PC-P fan, right?) in the PSU, only I'm using one of the motherboard PWM headers to drive it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 215 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 06:42 AM
8.2 liters

Rep: 553 (Unique: 361)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwich View Post

Oh wow you have a v1.1 of the SX-600G? I wonder what changed from v1.0?

As far as fan modding, I think it isn't that the Noiseblocker fan *won't* work, but more that the PSU fan header won't provide enough voltage for that fan. That said,
I've gone and put the fan (we are talking about the NB PC-P fan, right?) in the PSU, only I'm using one of the motherboard PWM headers to drive it.

I wonder as well what is new in the 1.1

Ghostwich, I have to say I feel uncomfortable every time you tell people you have put the PC-P in the SX600-G. Although you may understand what you've done and how to set the fan profile in your BIOS, I am worried people will just read what they want to read.

post #23 of 215 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 08:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiSK View Post

I wonder as well what is new in the 1.1

Ghostwich, I have to say I feel uncomfortable every time you tell people you have put the PC-P in the SX600-G. Although you may understand what you've done and how to set the fan profile in your BIOS, I am worried people will just read what they want to read.

Fair point, but I don't say I'm doing the same fan mod that worked for the ST45SF, that's for sure. The header on the SX600-G is different and I do try to make it clear that I'm using one of the motherboard's 4-pin PWM header, with a curve that's aggressive enough to deliver at least as much air as the stock ADDA fan. For people who are looking for some relief to the noise level (real or perceived) with the SX600-G, I'm just offering up information that's worked for me.

I suppose I could create a thread on either forum and leave it up there for anyone who's interested. I'll keep my mouth shut otherwise redface.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 215 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 10:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hey it was a valid concern, but I would expect anyone willing to take their PSU apart would ask a couple of careful questions first. Thanks for sharing ideas ghostwich.

Honestly WiSK I'm disappointed that you having worked a solution out yet. wink.gif Seriously, the first thing I did after realizing that 90% of my new build's noise is PSU related, I took to OC.net looking for a SSF post where you fixed the SX600-G.

I need to measure the back PSU and case door clearance though. I wonder if I can suspend a thicker 80mm fan inside and outside the case, and have it sit against the door, or even mount it on the door. Argh, I should just take a week off work when building a new SSF. Now I want to leave early.
post #25 of 215 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 10:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

BTW I e-mailed SilverStone support with questions about the fan and what's different in v1.0 and v1.1. Nothing back yet.
post #26 of 215 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 10:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 33 (Unique: 31)
So I am getting ready to sleeve my 450watt modular psu and I couldnt help but notice that pin 9 on the 24 pin cable has 2 wires in it, they both lead to the same spot also... one is thicker than the other.

Can I remove the smaller of the 2 wires so I can sleeve this thing? I mean, Im sure I can sleeve them both, but seems like a pain for a pair of wires going to the same spot.

thumb.gif
post #27 of 215 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 10:31 AM
8.2 liters

Quote:

Honestly WiSK I'm disappointed that you having worked a solution out yet. wink.gif Seriously, the first thing I did after realizing that 90% of my new build's noise is PSU related, I took to OC.net looking for a SSF post where you fixed the SX600-G.

I did have a solution, ordered two AD0812UX-D91GP fans which had the ideal profile and are hydro bearing.

However, the company selling them didn't actually have stock themselves, and the warehouse they buy from had run out of stock. So they sent me AD0812UB-D91GP (ball bearing) instead, which is pretty much the same fan as the stock.

They wouldn't (couldn't) exchange them, so I filed a Paypal dispute which I won yesterday.

I will keep looking for another solution that works with the low-volts profile of the SX600-G, but don't hold your breath smile.gif

post #28 of 215 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 10:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

WiSK, where did you try to order them from? Every place I'd spotted that has them in stock are charging crazy prices. $30 + $35 shipping!
post #29 of 215 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 12:04 PM
8.2 liters

Quote:

WiSK, where did you try to order them from? Every place I'd spotted that has them in stock are charging crazy prices. $30 + $35 shipping!

PCHub, they were reasonably priced because they were refurbished out of unsold PSUs from a discontinued InWin case (BK644).

I don't trust anyone to have reasonably priced stock of this one now, since it seems like there was only one batch made, and that was years ago.

In terms of recommending an easy solution for others to order, we best look for something else.

post #30 of 215 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 04:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Hey ok. Maybe I jumped the gun. So I just powered on my PC and wouldn't you know it, the SX600's fan wasn't spinning! It even stayed quiet during idle, that is until I had to transfer some files from one SSD to another. The fan started making a false start kind of motion about a dozen times, then finally kicked in.

Once the transfer was done I let it sit doing nothing for 15 minutes, the fan never turned off. Just that chugging sound from the fan.

Tried putting it to sleep (after only file copying) and waking it up. The fan didn't start up immediately but it did false start a couple of times and then spin up. Obviously there's no more than idle load after waking up. It must be the PSU temp sensor that's still warm.

Man I wish I had a temp meter to figure out if it really needs to be on at such a load load.

Also, I got a response from SilverStone support. They claim there's no difference between the v1.0 and v1.1. Now they might mean there's no difference in the fan, but they answered that there was no difference between either PSU. They also said that if the fan wasn't off when I booted that its defective.

It looks like mine isn't defective after all, its just that the fan kicks in once you start doing anything.

I'm tempted to flip the PSU around and have my rad fan blow into the PSU's intake fan. Maybe it'll help keep the fan from starting so early.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in