Power Supply Coil Whine/Noise and my view on PSUs - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Power Supply Coil Whine/Noise and my view on PSUs

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
Свет

Rep: 37 (Unique: 36)
Arrow Power Supply Coil Whine/Noise and my view on PSUs

Hello, guys

Wanted to share my experience with PSU coil whine and what I have done to mitigate it. I have had several PSUs now. Back in the day I had a PSU that had no coil whine noise, that was in 2000, then I build a new system using Enermax, and I started hearing a high pitch noise. After reluctantly calling Enermax (still under warranty), I convinced the guy that this PSU is making noise. He sent out a brand new PSU. The sound was slightly less, but still there.

I bought a Corsair TX650, and the sound seemed to be less now, probably 50-60%, I bought different GPU and noise was back again. It was bearable but still annoying. After selling my GPU the noise was almost gone, I was just running on my CPU and iGPU (4790k and Intel HD 4600), so recently I bought Asus Cerberus 1070ti, and noise became the worst I have had with Corsair.

Upon opening up PSU, I rolled up a piece of paper into a tube and used my ears to listen to where it's coming from. It was cricket loud. I found that every coil that the power supply had ...had a whine. I mean EVERY....I took a hot glue gun, and probably used 10-12 sticks of polymer glue on coils. The sound reduced by 60%, but still was hearing it. I took it apart again, and saw that the DC transformer is making 50% of the noise db compared to the coils that were now fixed. I padded it with glue as well.

Now I can say I almost made the PSU 80% quieter while gaming, and almost 200% quieter when using computer otherwise.

I spend close to 4 hours sealing everything that was making annoying noise. I tried changing voltage on GPU too, but it didn't make it better.

If you think that changing PSU will make a guarantee that you will not have noise...forget about it. I read countless forum posts here and not here, and people were raving on Newegg about similar issues.

I will never buy Corsair PSU again, nor Enermax. My Corsair is Gold+ rated, and even still...EVERY...E-V-E-R-Y....coil was making noise, even the ones I couldn't see right away.

Components are horrible quality. And even though GPU comes into resonance with PSU's frequency, manufacturer MUST account for it, by creating good DC transformer.

I have bought several audio components, and 1 of them had a HORRENDOUS buzz like vibrator no matter what outlet I used, and of course...you guessed it...it used a DC power supply.

Good components account for radio interference/magnetic interference/and voltage disturbance, bad ones don't.

Buy good components if you can, but know that even something that costs $100 is not guaranteeing you a silent PSU. Unless you have a hot glue gun, and are willing to take the risk of destroying your PSU to remove sound, and void the warranty.

For me...I was out of the warranty already, and I knew that changing PSU is not guaranteeing me anything when it comes to noise. 4 hours later...I can now enjoy the sound of my room...while everything is quiet without gaming.

You build a silent set up for a reason, not for PSU to destroy the concept. Manufacturers need to fix this, it's fully unacceptable.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by XLifted; 04-21-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 05:46 PM
Totally Tubular

Rep: 50 (Unique: 41)
Okay.

I have two Corsair power supplies -- an HX750i and an HX1000i. Neither have any coil whine at all, and I had 650W load (Threadripper 1950X and Titan Xp, both highly overclocked) on them. The Titan Xp has a soft whine but only when running [email protected] No whine while gaming.

I will also add this: There is absolutely no way for manufacturers to test their products with all components on the market. This goes for any component.

Previous Project: Heatripper Threadkiller Build Log
Previous Project: TT-Green Build Log (external link)
Previous Project: RED Glare Build Log (external link)
CPU
AMD Ryzen R7 2700X (1826SUS)
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi)
GPU
NVIDIA TITAN Xp COLLECTORS EDITION (Jedi Order)
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14D-16GTZRX
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro 2TB NVMe
Power Supply
Corsair HX1000i 1000W ATX
Cooling
EKWB EK-Supremacy EVO AMD RGB Nickel-Plexi
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller IV for TITAN X and GTX 1080Ti - ACRYL Ni-Bl w/ eBC Backplate
Cooling
Watercool WCP D5-VARIO Pump with Heatkiller D5-TOP
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller Tube 150 w/ MultiPort Top
Cooling
Watercool MO-RA3 360 LT Radiator - White
Cooling
Barrow G1/4" Thread 3/8" ID 5/8" OD Compression Fitting - Black
Cooling
Koolance QD3 Quick Disconnect No-Spill Coupling w/ 10mm x 16mm Compression Fitting - Black
Cooling
PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT 10/16mm Tubing - Crystal Clear
Cooling
Mayhems Pastel Coolant - Yellow
Cooling
Be Quiet Silent Wings 3 120mm PWM High Speed Fans (9)
Case
PrimoChill Praxis WetBench - White/Black
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 1803 64-bit
Monitor
Acer XB270HU bprz 1440p 144Hz G-Sync Gaming Monitor
Keyboard
Logitech G Pro RGB USB
Mouse
Logitech G Pro RGB USB
Mousepad
Logitech G440 Hard Gaming Mouse Mat
Audio
Logitech G633 7.1 RGB USB Headset
▲ hide details ▲

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 06:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
No.
No manufacturer needs to fix this. Seriously, taking a paper roll and actively listening for coil whine is ridiculous. Not to mention, it is physically impossible to "fix" it in the first place.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 07:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 24 (Unique: 20)
I had what I thought was coil whine on two Corsair PSUs. 1200i and 1500i

Turns out it was the outlet I was using in my house, it's an old house with super old wiring.

I only noticed it when I switched rooms, guess the room I switched to has noisy power as the first one did not produce this sound.

The second I plugged it into my utility line for washer/dryer, a GFCI protected outlet, it all went back to normal, zero whine. My tower is right next to me on my desk, so I would know of the slightest whine.

Before I did that, I got a line conditioner and UPS to try and get rid of it, it diminished it, but not all of it, using the first outlet that is. That's what led me to try a totally different circuit using a decent grade extension cord.

Since you're getting this issue from multiple brands and multiple PSUs, I would look into trying another power outlet that you know is protected, just to test. Since those outlets were updated at some point. It's worth a shot. Having this issue on so many PSUs leads me to believe you may have dirty power from your house. While you're at it, use a different surge protector as well, something else could be causing this.

If you check my sig, you'll see my system draws a lot of power on load.

EDIT: More context.

ZMT watercool setup -- Phanteks Enthoo Elite -- hwlabs gtr 420 x 2 -- -- xspc tx360 crossflow -- noctua A14 PWM x9 -- 9900x -- x299 TUF Mk1
Corsair Hydro X XC9 -- 64gb 3200 tridentZ Royal CL14 -- AX1500i -- 2x 7600p on hyper m.2 VROC 4TB -- EK ZMT Tubing -- Ek Fittings -- dual Aorus Waterforce xtreme 2080ti -- asus PG279UZ monitors x3 7680x1440 surround
Bertha5.5
(21 items)
CPU
9900x
Motherboard
X2399 TUF Mk1
GPU
Aorus 2080ti Waterforce Xtreme
GPU
Aorus 2080ti Waterforce Xtreme
RAM
TridentZ Royal 3200 CL14
Hard Drive
VROC 7600P x2
Power Supply
Ax1500i
Cooling
HWL GTR 420 x2
Cooling
XSPC TX360 Crossflow
Cooling
EK ZMT 10/16
Cooling
Corsair XC9
Cooling
Corsair XD5
Cooling
EK 10/16 Fittings
Cooling
Noctua A14 PWM x9
Cooling
Noctua NF-P12 PWM redux x3
Case
Enthoo Elite
Operating System
Win 10 Pro 64
Monitor
Asus PG279QZ x3
Keyboard
Corsair K95 RGB Platinum
Mouse
Corsair Nightsword
Mousepad
Corsair MM800
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by KCDC; 04-30-2018 at 07:47 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 01:52 AM
Iconoclast

Rep: 3135 (Unique: 1869)
Quote: Originally Posted by XLifted View Post
Upon opening up PSU, I rolled up a piece of paper into a tube and used my ears to listen to where it's coming from. It was cricket loud. I found that every coil that the power supply had ...had a whine. I mean EVERY....I took a hot glue gun, and probably used 10-12 sticks of polymer glue on coils. The sound reduced by 60%, but still was hearing it. I took it apart again, and saw that the DC transformer is making 50% of the noise db compared to the coils that were now fixed. I padded it with glue as well.
Poorly secured MOSFETs can vibrate as well, you may need to tighten the nuts holding them to their heatsinks or use epoxy on them if that fails.

Really though, if silence is mandatory and you find yourself gluing every component that could possibly vibrate, you may as well look into encapsulating the entire board.

Quote: Originally Posted by soureraser View Post
No.
No manufacturer needs to fix this. Seriously, taking a paper roll and actively listening for coil whine is ridiculous. Not to mention, it is physically impossible to "fix" it in the first place.
While I agree that trying to completely eliminate noise from switching PSU is something that isn't reasonable for most product lines, it's hardly impossible.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter
Свет

I bought EVGA P2 1000w, no coil whine in PSU, reduced coil whine in GPU by 60%, I can barely hear it
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 05:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 16)
How many PSU's or GPUs are tested in a quiet room for whine I wonder ?

I've had GPUs that were a bit annoying sometimes, but not enough to RMA or try to alter myself.

^^^
HHMMM Mosfets shake aswell, I wonder what all else shakes around in SMPS, that might be heard. I wonder how much energy actually ends up as sound ??? But I don't think I learned much acoustics in highschool physics.

Last edited by Kaltenbrunner; 05-11-2018 at 05:37 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
Свет

Quote: Originally Posted by Kaltenbrunner View Post

I've had GPUs that were a bit annoying sometimes, but not enough to RMA or try to alter myself.

^^^
HHMMM Mosfets shake aswell, I wonder what all else shakes around in SMPS, that might be heard. I wonder how much energy actually ends up as sound ??? But I don't think I learned much acoustics in highschool physics.
Figure I update on my PSU situation after about a year.

I am running EVGA Supernova 1000w PQ still to this day, and I run it in Eco Mode, so the fans don't kick in until 400 watts is used throughout the system.

Power supply is SILLLLLLLLENT, and I have fan controls on the back of PC for a quick silent profile, I can hear refrigerator more from my room than PC.

It's an amazing powersupply, $200 worth.

They don't really test for noise, because many manufacturers don't care, they test for fan noise, but not for coil whine, many manufacturers will deny your RMA if it's coil whine related.

EVGA was very good about it, they allowed people to return/exchange GPUs for that reason at one point, unlike many other companies

Their GPUs suffer more or less from that issue, but PSU's are amazing. Yes, the mosfets vibrate, that is absolutely true, along with copper coils you see through the PSU grill.

The better the PSU, the less chances it will happen. Because you can dampen it with proper coil installation around it.

I dumped tons of glue manually (using glue gun) on my Corsair 650w, and reduced the coil whine by around 60-70%, but not completely silent like EVGA's power supply.

EVGA all the way. I think they have 10 year warranty on PSU as well. Corsair has 5
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 02:32 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 339 (Unique: 240)
EVGA neither Corsair manufacture PSUs they only put their name on one designed and made by other companies.

There are ways to reduce whine/buzz from PSUs if the manufacturer cares.

EVGA as far as I know is only popular in US where people do RMAs with manufacturers not retailers, but even that is now bad with EVGA as they changed their RMA rules, their RMA reputation went steep downhill. Yet in US that brand is hyped endlessly when it comes to GPUs despite issues on latest cards with cooling, the RMA handling changes and people getting screwed over, ...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
Свет

Quote: Originally Posted by Kaltenbrunner View Post

^^^
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
EVGA neither Corsair manufacture PSUs they only put their name on one designed and made by other companies.

There are ways to reduce whine/buzz from PSUs if the manufacturer cares.

EVGA as far as I know is only popular in US where people do RMAs with manufacturers not retailers, but even that is now bad with EVGA as they changed their RMA rules, their RMA reputation went steep downhill. Yet in US that brand is hyped endlessly when it comes to GPUs despite issues on latest cards with cooling, the RMA handling changes and people getting screwed over, ...
Oh yeah? What happened, how did it change in comparison to the past, can you explain?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in