Seasonic Focus Gold series problematic for use with RX Vega? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Seasonic Focus Gold series problematic for use with RX Vega?

post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 07:21 PM
- Insanity Beckons -

Rep: 173 (Unique: 89)
Quote: Originally Posted by Sea Sonic Rep View Post
Hi guys,

So to sum up:

- For Vega, the high spikes is causing issue with PSU. It's not a PSU issue, it's more that Vega is having crazy high spikes and it can trigger PSU safety. Seems we are not the only one to have noticed this: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/show...5&postcount=13
We have worked on it and currently new stock of PSU with more tolerance with Vega are being shipped for release to market since few weeks/months. Only older version may have issue with Vega. Here, too, a question, just contact us and we will assist the best we can.

Thanks.

So it also applies to anyone currently owning TITANIUM series Power supplies as well?

I've got the older Prime model but will the latest Ultra model release, work soundly with the current RX Vega cards?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 12:41 AM
Hardware Rep

Rep: 51 (Unique: 42)
Quote: Originally Posted by Elrick View Post
So it also applies to anyone currently owning TITANIUM series Power supplies as well?

I've got the older Prime model but will the latest Ultra model release, work soundly with the current RX Vega cards?

No only with some FOCUS Plus.
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 05:25 AM
- Insanity Beckons -

Rep: 173 (Unique: 89)
Quote: Originally Posted by Sea Sonic Rep View Post
No only with some FOCUS Plus.
Good, so I'll buy this baby; SeaSonic PRIME AirTouch 850 Gold SSR-850GD 850W.

https://www.newegg.com/global/au/Pro...82E16817151222

Need it to power a 2700X and Sapphire RX56 video card (over clocked). You better be right about it working effectively with all AMD RX video card models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 05:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 67 (Unique: 54)
So I saw this on jonnyguru .. https://knowledge.seasonic.com/artic...ibility-issues

so I own a seasonic focus+ gold 750 and a vega 64 (reference design made by sapphire with a morpheus ii cooler attached). and I just had my system shutdown when I was trying to play player unknown battlegrounds. Happened when the plane scene started. Entire system just powered right off. I think I heard a click the moment it just happened. Motherboard still had power as my gigabyte board has led's all over it stayed lit. Which I thought was odd because normally when I power off they turn off.

Power supply was quite warm too. I could feel the heat on its grill. So I don't think its limited to just 550 watt units. Odd thing is I can run an hour of heaven benchmark loops or an hour of fire strike loops just fine. But to be honest pubg has been the first gpu heavy game I tried since I got my vega 64 a month ago.

Prior to it I had a vega 56 reference as well that I bought in November 2017 and ran it with this psu. No issues. But I am well aware the vega 64 has a bigger power draw. So for the meantime of process of elimination of wanting to make sure I'm correct it was my psu I ordered a Evga G3 850 watt as I have no spare to try. I noticed seasonic is telling users to contact them. I wonder if I should even bother.

Last edited by orlfman; 11-25-2018 at 05:22 PM.
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 06:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
Quote: Originally Posted by orlfman View Post
So I saw this on jonnyguru .. https://knowledge.seasonic.com/artic...ibility-issues

so I own a seasonic focus+ gold 750 and a vega 64 (reference design made by sapphire with a morpheus ii cooler attached). and I just had my system shutdown when I was trying to play player unknown battlegrounds. Happened when the plane scene started. Entire system just powered right off. I think I heard a click the moment it just happened. Motherboard still had power as my gigabyte board has led's all over it stayed lit. Which I thought was odd because normally when I power off they turn off.

Power supply was quite warm too. I could feel the heat on its grill. So I don't think its limited to just 550 watt units. Odd thing is I can run an hour of heaven benchmark loops or an hour of fire strike loops just fine. But to be honest pubg has been the first gpu heavy game I tried since I got my vega 64 a month ago.

Prior to it I had a vega 56 reference as well that I bought in November 2017 and ran it with this psu. No issues. But I am well aware the vega 64 has a bigger power draw. So for the meantime of process of elimination of wanting to make sure I'm correct it was my psu I ordered a Evga G3 850 watt as I have no spare to try. I noticed seasonic is telling users to contact them. I wonder if I should even bother.
The Vega 65 can spike as high as 380w according to Tom's Hardware and can average just under 300w. PUBG is pretty poorly coded and I wouldn't be surprised if launching it briefly pegs every part of your system to 100%, I'm not saying that's what's happening but could it be possible? A 380w spike doesn't leave much left over to run the rig.
As for if you should even bother...that depends on whether or not you want Seasonic to try to resolve the issue (assuming it's at fault).

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 10:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 67 (Unique: 54)
Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
The Vega 65 can spike as high as 380w according to Tom's Hardware and can average just under 300w. PUBG is pretty poorly coded and I wouldn't be surprised if launching it briefly pegs every part of your system to 100%, I'm not saying that's what's happening but could it be possible? A 380w spike doesn't leave much left over to run the rig.
As for if you should even bother...that depends on whether or not you want Seasonic to try to resolve the issue (assuming it's at fault).
I'll admit I was a bit sadden and salty about it when I wrote all of that. After a seasonic rep messaged me on jonny I went ahead and emailed seasonic about it to see what they can do and/ or advise. I do feel like I should step up an extra 100 watts with a 850 though. 380 watt spikes is pretty darn high. With all the fans I have, RGB galore going on in my case, hard drives, ssd's, extra, with my vega 64 I'm really running it close on 750 watts I feel like. And yeah pubg is pretty awful resource wise. Actually touches all 16 threads of my 2700x to a degree.

Last edited by orlfman; 11-25-2018 at 11:03 PM.
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 12:12 AM
Senior OCN Member

Cancel that G3 unless you really like huge jumps up and down in fan speed and noise
https://www.overclock.net/forum/31-p...e-problem.html

Buy a Seasonic Prime Ultra or buy the EVGA G1+ or G2

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Corsair Force MP510 1,92 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 16 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 with Cherry MX Silent
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod 30 CM Magnetic Red LED strip
▲ hide details ▲
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 12:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 16)
Wow, who would figure that a GPU could cause ripple problems w/an otherwise fine PSU under load. The Vega 64 issues w/pulling 600+ Watt transients is just crazy.
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 06:16 AM
Tetrapyloctomist

Rep: 21 (Unique: 20)
Quote: Originally Posted by 8051 View Post
Wow, who would figure that a GPU could cause ripple problems w/an otherwise fine PSU under load
Fine? According to whom? You? Some other anonymous poster with, i'm sure, about 12 degrees in electronics-related subjects?
If all you've to add is nothing, why post.

Yes, the card's a power-thirsty monster, unfortunately. Even so though, this doesn't happen to all PSUs out there, now does it; in fact..
And what you've deduced from this is that it's the card's 'fault'? Well done, lol.
Oh, and also, it's cards yeah? Plural. In said same one, specific PSU line; from said same one, specific company

Anyway, kudos to Seasonic for being on top of this from the getgo.

Pride, honour and purity.
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 12:31 PM
⤷ αC

Rep: 904 (Unique: 590)
Quote: Originally Posted by shilka View Post
Cancel that G3 unless you really like huge jumps up and down in fan speed and noise
https://www.overclock.net/forum/31-p...e-problem.html

Buy a Seasonic Prime Ultra or buy the EVGA G1+ or G2
I feel like the G2 is better than the G1+ , since it has eco fan mode as well as no transient problems from the design.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...su,5661-8.html
Quote:
The 650 G1+'s transient response was really bad. Then again, we didn't expect anything better, given the ACRF topology EVGA uses.

Ripple suppression was very good at 12V, and merely satisfactory on the 5V and 5VSB rails.
Quote: Originally Posted by http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=555
Value (20% of the final score) - at Newegg, where they are currently misquoting me on this unit based on the 850W model review, this unit is going for $99.99. That's the same price as they have listed on the superior G2 unit

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in