Seasonic Focus Gold series problematic for use with RX Vega? - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Seasonic Focus Gold series problematic for use with RX Vega?

post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 12:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 16)
Quote: Originally Posted by Aenra View Post
Fine? According to whom? You? Some other anonymous poster with, i'm sure, about 12 degrees in electronics-related subjects?
If all you've to add is nothing, why post.

Yes, the card's a power-thirsty monster, unfortunately. Even so though, this doesn't happen to all PSUs out there, now does it; in fact..
And what you've deduced from this is that it's the card's 'fault'? Well done, lol.
Oh, and also, it's cards yeah? Plural. In said same one, specific PSU line; from said same one, specific company

Anyway, kudos to Seasonic for being on top of this from the getgo.
I always thought Seasonic had a rep. for high quality PSU's? Was I wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 01:05 PM
Senior OCN Member

Rep: 2748 (Unique: 1629)
Every brand has at least one or more products that has one or more minor problems Seasonic just admits it where everyone else sweeps it under the rug and ignore it
A few combinations has a few problems that is all and that does not mean Seasonic quality is bad and its more of a problem with the GPU´s

I bet there are cases where combinations with Corsair, EVGA, Be Quiet or one of the other brands and some GPU´s have problems where as i said before its so small that no cares or it was swept under the rug and ignored

A storm in a glass of water sounds fitting to cases like that
If they where bad there would be far more cases and reports

Edit: by the way i used a Seasonic Foucs Plus 550 watt in the last built i made for a customer and i threw everything i could think of at the PC to make sure it was working before i handed it over
It only had a GTX 1050 Ti but he later upgraded it from what i heard and never heard a word from him

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Corsair Force MP510 1,92 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 16 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 with Cherry MX Silent
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod 30 CM Magnetic Red LED strip
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by shilka; 11-28-2018 at 01:13 PM.
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 01:06 PM
Mr.4way SLI

Rep: 191 (Unique: 171)
I have a pair of the 850W Focus Gold Plus units i used in 2 customer builds. one powering a [email protected] and a 1070ti and the other running a 2700x with SLI 980ti cards for a customer and haven't once had an issue. Going to be ordering another one for my uncles upgrade as well. I think they're great units and love the warranty. Sounds to me like Asus is the one with the issue of the slightest ripple causes problems and i'm not surprised with that company.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 01:14 PM
9 Cans of Ravioli

Rep: 1096 (Unique: 634)
Found my SN, PMed out of curiosity if my exact model is affected

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.5%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
NUC U
(10 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 4133 32GB
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
HP EX950 NVMe 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Sandisk Ultra II 480GB SSD
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital EZRZ 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2
Operating System
Windows 10 Education x64
Monitor
Acer XF270HU
Monitor
Dell E2311H
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro S
Mouse
Logitech G502
Audio
SMSL SA50 + FiiO E10K
Audio
Micca RB42
Audio
Polk Audio PSW111
Audio
Philips Fidelio X2
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
CPU
i3 8109U
Motherboard
Intel NUC8i3BEH
GPU
Iris Plus 655
RAM
Kingston 8GB DDR4 2400
Hard Drive
Dierka K1 120GB
Hard Drive
ADATA SU800 128GB M.2
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional
Operating System
MX Linux
Keyboard
Rii RKM709 Wireless
Mouse
Logitech M510
CPU
i7 860
Motherboard
Advantech AIMB 280 ITX
GPU
EVGA GTX 950 2GB
RAM
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
Seagate Momentus 2.5" 500GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2.5" 320GB
Power Supply
Silverstone SFX-L Gold 500w
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 11 GT 2
Case
Silverstone Milo Z ML07B
Operating System
Windows XP x86 SP3
Keyboard
Velocifire TKL01 Outemu Browns
Mouse
Logitech M512
▲ hide details ▲

post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 02:49 PM
⤷ αC

Rep: 904 (Unique: 590)
My 850W Focus Plus came in today, the serial suggests it is June 2018 batch (the advisory is for before January 2018). I have a 650W with serial from September 2017 as well.

Interestingly it now includes a PSU tester plug that I don't think was in the package at original launch.

There really isn't anything that compares in the ATX size as far as 140-150mm length. Everything else on the market has design decisions that are flawed such as a fan eco mode that is nonexistent or inside the case ; 180mm long PSUs that merely match this one ; shorter warranties on 550/650W units (EVGA) ; CPU connectors that don't seem to split into 4+4 (RMx).

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 03:42 PM
Hardware Rep

Rep: 51 (Unique: 42)
Quote: Originally Posted by 8051 View Post
You know, every brand may have issues in PSU market but also in others markets like car, phones etc.. The most important is to face it. I guess we tried and did. Most important for us is our customer to be happy with their product. And if any issue, to contact us (www.seasonic.com/contact) to make things right.

Best Regards,
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 03:47 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 339 (Unique: 240)
How much load ripple insensitivity is a PSU supposed to have and how low is this supposed to be from components? At least the protections on Seasonic PSU work and kick in on GPUs that are going a bit too crazy with their load ripple, spiking peak loads too high or even too long.
Are GPUs supposed to have better filtering of their crazy load ripple? Or PSUs have better filtering against crazy ripple loads? Or ignore load spikes more and hope it's fine?

Last edited by JackCY; 11-28-2018 at 03:51 PM.
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 02:52 AM
Tetrapyloctomist

Rep: 21 (Unique: 20)
This and your previous statement are two very different things
But leaving that aside (it's up to you to weigh the two and reach some conclusions about your way of thinking)?

Depends on how strict you are; personally speaking, yes, it's a brand i find respectable, but no, it's not a brand i tend to favour; but to explain:

- Hype plays a big part in this, think Asus (also going down the toilet steadily, but hype keeps it as a top seller, we've many "power" users in this very forum swearing by it). Hype dies last, so we need alsways remain informed rather than rely on it.
- You check proper reviews, not your average Youtube teenager playing with his free toys, you will often find that barring their most expensive models, there are PSUs from the competition that perform slightly better while being at the same or often lower price.
- Their implementing this "newer" (read: not really, but new for us 'consumers') power switch type on the back of the unit -i forget its name- is only problematic for me; that damned switch is supposed to be there for me to be capable of killing power at an instance's notice.. i cannot do that in Seasonic PSUs; while yes, their implementation is "safer", it also disallows this level of control that is important for many other things unrelated to the PSU itself: say you have an error, a strong hang, something that requires you to hard turn off the PC, right? With the Seasonic, you need plug the PSU cable out like a cannibal. Not a fan. Say you're done setting your custom loop, bleeding, etc., turn on for first time, insta-warning or issue; again plus cables like a cannibal; see what i mean? That alone means Seasonic=NO for me. We've been using the "old school" PSU power switch all these decades for a very good reason. One that's still relevant.
- A few years back they introduced a number of units with very thin wire gauge, despite their being on their high end side of units; am talking Platinum 1200 units here, lol.. unacceptable; now admittedly, this is the exception not the rule, but it also entails my now needing to look for this each and every time, because if they did it once, they may again, yes? Trust.

Now before you rush into the obvious conclusion, no; they've made a looot of very good models as well. But.. by now (and this is important, the market evolves), i can show you equally good or often better units costing the same amount of money if not less, with the same kind of warranty (10yrs), but with occasionally better performance and with an always actually usable back switch (see above). So why would i buy a Seasonic? Again, personally speaking.
Am happy they're here, competition keeps prices healthy, am respectful of what they make; but i've no reason to choose them.
(don't ask what i tend to choose, as we're already off topic here and naming other brands can be construed as bating/inciting, which is not my intent)

Don't dismiss them, but never, ever, rely on reputation=hype alone. The very people that continue to forward said hype are usually worse than your average user ^^
The latter might wish to inform themselves at some point.. the former, they already think they know

Pride, honour and purity.
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 03:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 16)
It's been fixed by Seasonic. So if you plan on buying one, you should make sure you get from the latest batch.
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 03:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 16)
I've always had a good experience with their power supplies (made by Seasonic, not Seasonic branded). This time around though I purchased a Seasonic branded power supply (Focus gold+) and it was a complete letdown.

1) Loud buzzing randomly. It's either quiet the whole day or it's buzzing the whole day. Completely random.
2) Gigantic in-cable capacitors that effectively makes cable management damn near impossible. I purchase fully modular power supplies for cable management, but it's completely pointless if every cable has enormous in-cable caps. It really makes no sense to me.
3) The "10 year warranty" is a straight up lie.

Let's just say I used to be a fan, but not so much anymore.

Oh and ..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in