Need help with PSU decision please - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Need help with PSU decision please

post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote: Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
Don't have any issue with the sound of my Ultra Plus titanium fan. I don't even hear it.
Johnny Reviewed this unit and yeah it's ok. Older unit GX ii Pro 750w. Actually something Decent Coolermaster did, Absolutely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 10:04 AM
Optimal Pessimist

Rep: 114 (Unique: 87)
Quote: Originally Posted by Jspinks020 View Post
Johnny Reviewed this unit and yeah it's ok. Older unit GX ii Pro 750w. Actually something Decent Coolermaster did, Absolutely.

LOL

FDR4-8086k
(23 items)
CPU
8086k 5.1/4.8 GHz @ 1.312v, 5.0/4.7 GHz @ 1.248 (AVX 0, adaptive)
Motherboard
Asus Maximus X Code
GPU
MSI GTX 1070 X
GPU
Radeon Pro WX 7100
RAM
32GB g.skill Trident Z RGB @ 3733 16-16-36, 1.36v
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Western Digitial Caviar Black 2 TB in USB 3.0 enclosure
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black 6 TB
Hard Drive
Western Digitial Caviar Green in USB 3.0 enclosure
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15 (only middle NF-A15 Chromax)
Cooling
4 x Noctua NF-A14 Chromax black swap
Cooling
Noctua NF-F12 Chromax black swap
Case
Fractal Design R4
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Monitor
Eizo CG2730
Monitor
DELL P2217H
Keyboard
Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid TKL
Mouse
Logitech G602
Mouse
perixx dx-2000
Audio
On Board SupremeFX
▲ hide details ▲
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 11:32 AM
Not New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
one bad thing about the Corsair RMx & RMi : they have 0 fan mode which you can't disable

which means on load & medium load, fan doesn't spin

they pretend it's for noise but truth is no one cares about the noise PSU's make (which is low anyway)

and 0 fan mode is dangerous:

causes PSU to heat up over time (even if it's just moderate load) = shorter lifespan = planned obsolescence

also PSU fans are usefull they act as an extra exhaust for the case so indirectly if PSU fan is off then case temp will be a bit higher

again there is ZERO point in having 0 fan mode on a PSU

on Seasonic at least, you can enable hybrid mode (force the fan to spin even on low load)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 02:37 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by pulverizor View Post
one bad thing about the Corsair RMx & RMi : they have 0 fan mode which you can't disable

which means on load & medium load, fan doesn't spin

they pretend it's for noise but truth is no one cares about the noise PSU's make (which is low anyway)

and 0 fan mode is dangerous:

causes PSU to heat up over time (even if it's just moderate load) = shorter lifespan = planned obsolescence

also PSU fans are usefull they act as an extra exhaust for the case so indirectly if PSU fan is off then case temp will be a bit higher

again there is ZERO point in having 0 fan mode on a PSU

on Seasonic at least, you can enable hybrid mode (force the fan to spin even on low load)
Ran a Seasonic X-760 (KM3 Gold) on 0 fan mode for 6 years with np (with a couple of 28-36 degrees celsius summers with that temperature as room temperature), sold it to a friend and it's running in his pc for what's now 8 years total with only moderate coil whine.

I'm pretty sure it's gonna pass 10 year mark on 0 fan mode, so yeah if it has good components and is rated for ~50 degrees celsius operation what you said is not going to happen at all.

And plenty of us do care for PSU noise, it's not that important if it does have 0 fan mode or not, a 600-800 RPM fan of good quality is gonna be inaudible, what's more important is the max RPM of the fan, and how good the speed curve is. And RMx have the lowest max rpm fans together with the original Superflower Leadex I platinum and the Aerocool Project 7.

Last edited by Dogzilla07; 12-22-2018 at 02:42 PM.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 02:55 PM

Well all kinda good units.
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 09:59 PM
Not New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Dogzilla07 View Post
Ran a Seasonic X-760 (KM3 Gold) on 0 fan mode for 6 years with np (with a couple of 28-36 degrees celsius summers with that temperature as room temperature), sold it to a friend and it's running in his pc for what's now 8 years total with only moderate coil whine.

I'm pretty sure it's gonna pass 10 year mark on 0 fan mode, so yeah if it has good components and is rated for ~50 degrees celsius operation what you said is not going to happen at all.

And plenty of us do care for PSU noise, it's not that important if it does have 0 fan mode or not, a 600-800 RPM fan of good quality is gonna be inaudible, what's more important is the max RPM of the fan, and how good the speed curve is. And RMx have the lowest max rpm fans together with the original Superflower Leadex I platinum and the Aerocool Project 7.
for those with their PSU on the bottom of the case maybe (but those I avoid & many others do)

but if the PSU is at the top of the case then case heat reaches it, and PSU fan can be useful to exhaust the air out of it

there's several on Corsair forums who say their Corsair becomes too hot to touch for more than a few seconds in summer even if the PSU's on medium load because the fan won't spin

long story short IF the PSU's at the top of the case (like in most cases) then passive PSU's should be avoided like I said it raises not only PSU temp but also case temps (especially is poorly ventilated cases eg. mine is an Antec Sonata 2 so I can't risk putting a passive PSU in there especially since there's already a gtx980 & a hexacore CPU in there lol)

and noise? quality PSU fans make insignificant noise compared to CPU or GPU fans so who cares tbh

best choice is semi-passive (hybrid) PSU with low-fan mode on low & medium load (with a switch to enable 0-fan for those who like this despite the risks). Seasonics have those iirc

the very fact Corsair didn't include a switch for passive mode for their RMx & RMi is suspicious
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 11:37 PM
Senior OCN Member

Rep: 2738 (Unique: 1626)
Top of the case? what era do you live in? almost no new case in the last 10 years have had the PSU in the top so are you a dinosaur or what?
Claiming the PSU is in the top in most cases is simply false unless you still live in 2008

Many avoid cases with the PSU in the bottom what? thats even more nonsense
Sure a few might do that but your claims sounds completely ridiculous or that you still live in 2008

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Corsair Force MP510 1,92 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 16 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 with Cherry MX Silent
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod 30 CM Magnetic Red LED strip
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by shilka; 12-22-2018 at 11:42 PM.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 08:54 AM
Not New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by shilka View Post
Top of the case? what era do you live in? almost no new case in the last 10 years have had the PSU in the top so are you a dinosaur or what?
Claiming the PSU is in the top in most cases is simply false unless you still live in 2008

Many avoid cases with the PSU in the bottom what? thats even more nonsense
Sure a few might do that but your claims sounds completely ridiculous or that you still live in 2008
I aint changed my case for the last 8y iirc but I dont need to (towers more expensive today anyway)

but serously why have the PSU at the bottom of the case - to have dust settle in the PSU?
or just cause manufacturers say it's trendy? (fashion trends lol)
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 09:35 AM
Optimal Pessimist

Rep: 114 (Unique: 87)
Quote: Originally Posted by pulverizor View Post
I aint changed my case for the last 8y iirc but I dont need to (towers more expensive today anyway)

but serously why have the PSU at the bottom of the case - to have dust settle in the PSU?
or just cause manufacturers say it's trendy? (fashion trends lol)

Huh? How would dust settle in the PSU just because it is in the bottom of the case? When mounted in the bottom, its innards are not exposed in the case. It is there so it can pull in cool air from under the case and exhaust it out the back. It is easier to install because it rests on the bottom, and the case is more stable with it there.

FDR4-8086k
(23 items)
CPU
8086k 5.1/4.8 GHz @ 1.312v, 5.0/4.7 GHz @ 1.248 (AVX 0, adaptive)
Motherboard
Asus Maximus X Code
GPU
MSI GTX 1070 X
GPU
Radeon Pro WX 7100
RAM
32GB g.skill Trident Z RGB @ 3733 16-16-36, 1.36v
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Western Digitial Caviar Black 2 TB in USB 3.0 enclosure
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black 6 TB
Hard Drive
Western Digitial Caviar Green in USB 3.0 enclosure
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15 (only middle NF-A15 Chromax)
Cooling
4 x Noctua NF-A14 Chromax black swap
Cooling
Noctua NF-F12 Chromax black swap
Case
Fractal Design R4
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Monitor
Eizo CG2730
Monitor
DELL P2217H
Keyboard
Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid TKL
Mouse
Logitech G602
Mouse
perixx dx-2000
Audio
On Board SupremeFX
▲ hide details ▲
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 10:31 AM
Not New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
Huh? How would dust settle in the PSU just because it is in the bottom of the case? When mounted in the bottom, its innards are not exposed in the case. It is there so it can pull in cool air from under the case and exhaust it out the back. It is easier to install because it rests on the bottom, and the case is more stable with it there.
? you mean the PSU is at the bottom and the PSU fan faces downward ?

in the low-PSU cases I seen the fan grid faces upward
like this one :
http://whatswithjeff.com/wp-content/...haf-xm-091.jpg

(read about some poor sod who had a screw fall into his PSU when unmounting his graphics card & he didn't even realize it until...^^)

ok so if the PSU grid faces downward then no risk of anything fall in - but then there's another problem how does air get in? the fan's too close to ground so not enough space for air to flow into the PSU

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in