Need help with PSU decision please - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Need help with PSU decision please

post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Need help with PSU decision please

Hello!
I have decided after 8 years that i should renew my PSU... Ive been runing Cooler Master 800W Silent Pro Gold (which is rly not silent) and found out that its not that much high quality of PSU... I wasnt investigating much on PSUs back then rly...

Ive been reading various sites, discussions and reviews for few days now and my head is about to explode
I have made a small list of my candidates but i cant make my mind which one to go for so i could use a bit of your help!

Options are:
1. Corsair RM750i or 850i (Its not necessary but i wouldnt mind that monitoring feature tbh) best score 9.9 (http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...tory6&reid=441)
2. Corsair RM750x or 850x (2018 edition) score 9.3 (http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...tory6&reid=549)
3. Seasonic Prime Ultra 850W Gold
4. Seasonic Prime Ultra 650W Titanium score 9.4 (http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...tory6&reid=536) Might be too weak for future 9900k OC with 1080ti OC
5. EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750/850/1000W score 9.8 (http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...tory6&reid=500)

Pricing is fine on all of these for me...
I really want the new PSU to be a good upgrade to my current one for years to come
Im leaning more towards Corsair because they are the most silent and im rly curious which one is higher/better quality... the older RMi or new RMx? As we know these days "Newer" doesnt always mean better... right?
On those Seasonic PSUs ive seen quite alot of complains about their fans making annoying sounds... and i really want a silent PSU!
EVGA is recommended by many and the 750w G3 have best price atm...

My setup is:
CPU: i7 8700K OC to 5GHz but will upgrade to 9900K or new Ryzen if they better next year...
MB: ASRock Z370 K6
RAM: Corsair 4x8GB 3200
GPU: GTX 1080ti OC aswell...
Sound card, 6 Fans etc...

Thank you!

Last edited by W4DER; 12-16-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 07:27 AM
Senior OCN Member

Rep: 2738 (Unique: 1626)
You dont need that amount of wattage unless you are going to have two GPU´s
A 650 watt is more than enough power for your system

As for the EVGA G3 you dont want one of those unless you really like very large jumps up and down in fan noise when used in eco mode
https://www.overclock.net/forum/31-p...e-problem.html

The Prime Ultra is the best one on the list

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Corsair Force MP510 1,92 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 16 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 with Cherry MX Silent
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod 30 CM Magnetic Red LED strip
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yeh ive been reading that G3 have badly optimised the fan curve...
But i also have seen quite alot of complains about seasonic fans making annoying sounds etc...
I defo want a silent PSU after years of my current fan hiss and thats why the corsair is on top atm...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 07:38 AM
Senior OCN Member

Rep: 2738 (Unique: 1626)
Forget about the RMi then the Corsair Link is a gimmick and its not always reliable so if Corsair is a must the RMx is the better option
There is also the Be Quiet Dark Power Pro P11 to consider if you want a very quiet unit, do note that Be Quiet units are multi rail which some people like and others dont

As for Seasonic and noises with fans that happens to every brand and model and its more bad luck that enything else so it does not matter what you pick the risk is the same
Good thing you are buying a new PSU as your old one is god awful and its on my most hated list

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Corsair Force MP510 1,92 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 16 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 with Cherry MX Silent
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod 30 CM Magnetic Red LED strip
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 07:54 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 337 (Unique: 240)
As you've found RMx, new Seasonic Prime and Focus, SF Leadex based PSUs though I prefer G2 over G3 as most G2 will run passive in ECO mode if you get 650W+ for most regular systems. There used to be Bitfenix Whisper M, etc. for cheaper options at times but I think Seasonic filled that area in with Focus line.

You have to decide what you prefer/want, silent operation or even passive or not? What budget. Wattage wise having extra you are likely going to run passive if it has a good ECO/hybrid mode. Personally I don't like ball bearing fans as they are louder with more noticeable noise and Seasonic PSUs from G line all buzzed for me. Some PSU designs may be better than other when it comes to buzzing and whining but it can happen to all with certain hardware combinations.

All GPUs buzz and whine at some point due to how they operate and what crazy filtering would be needed to get rid of the fluctuations. PSUs should not really buzz or whine, replace/exchange for a different brand/model if yours does.

Also running PSU passive even with a mid range system it will get warm, let alone with your higher end configuration if it's gonna stay passive at all on full load without excessive wattage capacity. It's certainly cheaper to buy a 650-850W hybrid fan PSU then a lower wattage passive only one. I wouldn't really get below 650W PSU, certainly not for your config. High end components do consume crap ton of power when overclocked.

Last edited by JackCY; 12-16-2018 at 07:58 AM.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 08:25 AM

I don't know...Picked up this older Coolermster GX ii Pro 750w...It seems to be quite nicer Internally and yeah it fired right up and is working.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 08:45 AM
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast

Rep: 104 (Unique: 82)
Pick the PSU on your list there that appeals the most to you.

Unless in open bench setup, you wont hear any of them, especially since you are at a minimum 200-300 watts above what you actually need.

I personally would look at the voltage rail ratings. Find the one that has the strongest 12v and 5v rails, and especially better nowadays if it is single rail 12v

The old days of multi rail 12v being useful are gone.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by shilka View Post
Forget about the RMi then the Corsair Link is a gimmick and its not always reliable so if Corsair is a must the RMx is the better option
There is also the Be Quiet Dark Power Pro P11 to consider if you want a very quiet unit, do note that Be Quiet units are multi rail which some people like and others dont

As for Seasonic and noises with fans that happens to every brand and model and its more bad luck that enything else so it does not matter what you pick the risk is the same
Good thing you are buying a new PSU as your old one is god awful and its on my most hated list
Why should i forget the RMi then? for its age compared to new RMx? And yes the monitoring is a nice feature to have but its not needed! quality is more important ofc!
Be Quite just doesnt ring a bell in my head as a quality PSU brand... more like Coolermaster etc...
If the Seasonic prime ultra 750/850w titanium were not that expensive id get one of those... I think the 650w is just not enough

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
As you've found RMx, new Seasonic Prime and Focus, SF Leadex based PSUs though I prefer G2 over G3 as most G2 will run passive in ECO mode if you get 650W+ for most regular systems. There used to be Bitfenix Whisper M, etc. for cheaper options at times but I think Seasonic filled that area in with Focus line.

You have to decide what you prefer/want, silent operation or even passive or not? What budget. Wattage wise having extra you are likely going to run passive if it has a good ECO/hybrid mode. Personally I don't like ball bearing fans as they are louder with more noticeable noise and Seasonic PSUs from G line all buzzed for me. Some PSU designs may be better than other when it comes to buzzing and whining but it can happen to all with certain hardware combinations.

All GPUs buzz and whine at some point due to how they operate and what crazy filtering would be needed to get rid of the fluctuations. PSUs should not really buzz or whine, replace/exchange for a different brand/model if yours does.

Also running PSU passive even with a mid range system it will get warm, let alone with your higher end configuration if it's gonna stay passive at all on full load without excessive wattage capacity. It's certainly cheaper to buy a 650-850W hybrid fan PSU then a lower wattage passive only one. I wouldn't really get below 650W PSU, certainly not for your config. High end components do consume crap ton of power when overclocked.
Well G3 is out of the list for their bad fan optimisation and G2 is not available here anymore...
When comes to Seasonic the PRIME line is what attracts my eye the most and they all have FDB fans i think...
The fan-less options are out of my list coz they r pretty expensive and less powerfull... and its always good to have a fan in semi-passive for temps just in case
because PSU suppose to be one of the longest staying component im willing to pay for Tier 1 to be happy for years to come this time... unlike my last bad purchase

I might be overthinking this but i have always been investigating for days / weeks before buying something for last few years... wont do same mistakes of the past
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote: Originally Posted by W4DER View Post
Why should i forget the RMi then? for its age compared to new RMx? And yes the monitoring is a nice feature to have but its not needed! quality is more important ofc!
Be Quite just doesnt ring a bell in my head as a quality PSU brand... more like Coolermaster etc...
If the Seasonic prime ultra 750/850w titanium were not that expensive id get one of those... I think the 650w is just not enough

Well G3 is out of the list for their bad fan optimisation and G2 is not available here anymore...
When comes to Seasonic the PRIME line is what attracts my eye the most and they all have FDB fans i think...
The fan-less options are out of my list coz they r pretty expensive and less powerfull... and its always good to have a fan in semi-passive for temps just in case
because PSU suppose to be one of the longest staying component im willing to pay for Tier 1 to be happy for years to come this time... unlike my last bad purchase

I might be overthinking this but i have always been investigating for days / weeks before buying something for last few years... wont do same mistakes of the past
Well there is Quite a few good units out there now. So just do that Pick one and just run it for sometime and see how it Goes.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Alrighty... cheers for your response guys! But nothing has changed on my side and im still where ive been before... decisions decisions )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in