Corsair HX1000i help - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Corsair HX1000i help

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Corsair HX1000i help

Hey. Bought this PSU along with a 2080 Ti so I need 2 cables of 6+2 pin to power it and I'm wondering if I can use any of the 6 slots in the picture. Can you plug the CPU or the GPU one anywhere you want in those 6 slots or is there a specific slot for each that has to be followed so you don't blow up something? Got no clue about PSUs and couldn't find an answer for this exact PSU

https://i.imgur.com/8lEakLi.png

This is the PSU

https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Power/.../CP-9020074-EU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 07:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I'm no PSU expert neither but did have to scratch my head over this same issue myself going from 4 core 7700k and max IX mobo to current 9900k max XI mobo with 8+4 for cpu. Your psu layout is the same as mine. I think (could be wrong) that at least the top are interchangeable. I have my cpu using the two top right and a pci-e next to it and all is working fine. It does appear they (pci-e) are interchangeable. I hunted the internet and couldn't find any worthy info on this same subject.

Case: Corsair 900D. CPU: [email protected] MB: Asus Rog Max XI Formula. RAM: Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz. GPU: GTX 1070 EVGA FTW 2. Drives: 2X Sam 960 Evo 500gb, 2x Sam 850pro 256gb, Sandisk Ultra 11 960Gb, Lacie 4tb external drive (USB type C.) PSU: Corsair RM 1000i.
Watercooling: HWL Nemesis GTX 420/54mm (push only.) Alphacool UT60 420/60mm (push only.) Res: EK X4 250 (R2.0.) Blocks: Cuplex Kryos Next w/Vision. EK Full cover GPU block, EK/ ASUS Crosschill 3. Pump: EK D5.
Aquaero 6 Pro.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 07:39 AM
Senior OCN Member

Rep: 2748 (Unique: 1629)
The PSU you bought was a bad option and there are much better options out there some of them are cheaper so return the PSU
Its not not bad its just way overpriced and worse than most of the competition

And no you cant plug EPS/CPU into PCI-E or vice versa and it would be a crappy PSU if you could because the two are NOT electrically compatible
Plug a PCI-E into an EPS/CPU port or vice versa and you would have a fried PC

1000 watts by the way is massive overkill and more than twice what your PC will ever draw

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Corsair Force MP510 1,92 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 16 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 with Cherry MX Silent
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod 30 CM Magnetic Red LED strip
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by shilka; 12-19-2018 at 07:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by shilka View Post
The PSU you bought was a bad option and there are much better options out there some of them are cheaper so return the PSU
Its not not bad its just way overpriced and worse than most of the competition

And no you cant plug EPS/CPU into PCI-E or vice versa and it would be a crappy PSU if you could because the two are NOT electrically compatible
Plug a PCI-E into an EPS/CPU port or vice versa and you would have a fried PC

1000 watts by the way is massive overkill and more than twice what your PC will ever draw
I only bought it because it was cheaper here compared to everything else and from what I researched it has good quality even when it's fully stressed (also feels weird buying some 700 PSU when this one was even cheaper than them). Was around 160 euro

Anyway, why don't they mark which port is for GPU or CPU?

Quote: Originally Posted by Rarestbreed View Post
I'm no PSU expert neither but did have to scratch my head over this same issue myself going from 4 core 7700k and max IX mobo to current 9900k max XI mobo with 8+4 for cpu. Your psu layout is the same as mine. I think (could be wrong) that at least the top are interchangeable. I have my cpu using the two top right and a pci-e next to it and all is working fine. It does appear they (pci-e) are interchangeable. I hunted the internet and couldn't find any worthy info on this same subject.
Yep it's really weird. I don't understand why they don't just mark them... checked other psus on google and some of them say gpu / cpu. Maybe someone else here knows which slot is for CPU only and GPU only. Really don't wanna blow something up I've already powered the 2080 Ti with 1 cable before but I read that it's better to use 2 cables instead of 1 for better power delivery and I just have no idea where I can plug the second one.

Last edited by Frozburn; 12-19-2018 at 08:19 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 08:18 AM
Senior OCN Member

Rep: 2748 (Unique: 1629)
Did you get a manual you can look at?
As for the HXi the RMi and RMx uses an improved version of the same platform so they are both better as well as cheaper making the HXi pointless

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Corsair Force MP510 1,92 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 16 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 with Cherry MX Silent
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod 30 CM Magnetic Red LED strip
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

As for the HXi the RMi and RMx uses an improved version of the same platform so they are both better as well as cheaper making the HXi pointless
I looked at the manual but it's incredibly short and doesn't show anything about which slot you can use unless I am blind?

Here in downloads section there's a manual

https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Power/.../CP-9020074-EU
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 09:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

They (Corsair) use the same wording for the sata/peripherals and they are interchangeable. Don't base anything on what other PSUs are like, they all have their own iteration. Remember, I said I have mine plugged in and working fine using the top middle and right for my cpu power. You could also try using the top and lower right side ones if you were concerned. I remember some years ago I accidentally plugged a pci-e cable into eps and nothing drastic happened, just wouldn't power-up.

Case: Corsair 900D. CPU: [email protected] MB: Asus Rog Max XI Formula. RAM: Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz. GPU: GTX 1070 EVGA FTW 2. Drives: 2X Sam 960 Evo 500gb, 2x Sam 850pro 256gb, Sandisk Ultra 11 960Gb, Lacie 4tb external drive (USB type C.) PSU: Corsair RM 1000i.
Watercooling: HWL Nemesis GTX 420/54mm (push only.) Alphacool UT60 420/60mm (push only.) Res: EK X4 250 (R2.0.) Blocks: Cuplex Kryos Next w/Vision. EK Full cover GPU block, EK/ ASUS Crosschill 3. Pump: EK D5.
Aquaero 6 Pro.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 09:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

You're right. That is the very reason why I bought the RMi. I searched around and could see no valid point to buying the HXi. the RMi was cheaper and ever so slightly better than the HXi. Originally, the RM series was sub-par and was consequently trashed for it. So they had it fixed, which left the HX and RM being all but the same product.

Aquaero 6 Pro.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Asked Corsair about it and this is what they told me

"CPU port and PCI-e port on the PSU are cross compatible. All ports can be used for either CPU or PCI-e".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in