which is more dangerous for PC on 12V rail : 11.5V or 12.5V ?? - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

which is more dangerous for PC on 12V rail : 11.5V or 12.5V ??

post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
Not New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by EastCoast View Post
Are we talking a consistent voltage or if it fluctuates between the 2?
suppose consistent

consistent 11.5V vs consistent 12.5V

which is worse for CPU & GPU lifespan?

Last edited by pulverizor; 12-24-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 03:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 385 (Unique: 275)
Quote: Originally Posted by pulverizor View Post
suppose consistent

consistent 11.5V vs consistent 12.5V

which is worse for CPU & GPU lifespan?
11.5v can possibly cause video card crashes and instability. I had a worn out PCIE connector which was only supplying 11.25-11.13v to my r9 290X and had mulitple 'black screen' hard crashes.
Replacing the cable fixed everything and it then read 11.75-11.63v exactly as it did when everything was new.

12.5v could possibly boost signal strength but would also lead to more stress as well.

keep in mind something:
the VIDEO CARD's voltage itself reported by the sensors was the same. (I looked at the sensors). It was the current that was different, going through the mosfets, since the source voltage was now lower, but the output voltaeg (e.g. 1.13v) needed to be the same. Of course you need professional tools to actually investigate this. You can NOT rely on onboard sensors.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM

Last edited by Falkentyne; 12-24-2018 at 04:04 PM.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 06:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Power supplies

Neither is "more dangerous"
A switch mode power supply or buck regulator or equivalent may overload if the voltage drops too far as it tries to compensate. The Ohms law bit does not apply.
You will not have enough technical information about all the components in the system. You rely on the manufacturer and they making decisions which are based on their approach to the completed item.

If crude test instruments show .5v variance then probably the peak and trough voltages are significantly greater and lower and outside the spec, i.e you want to measure the ripple and add that to the result. A high level of ripple will be much more significant and damaging.

Also if the regulation is .5v off on any rail then the power supply is probably out of spec. Good manufacturers will try to ensure the electronics works as close as possible to the optimal output voltages (for the cost) irrespective of the input voltage.

The only guide I make is reputation of the manufacturer and look for < 2.5% including ripple.
HiPot testing certificate should also be present. This may reduce the potential for damage from a surge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 02:05 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 170 (Unique: 106)
Even the really good PSUs are fairly "lax" with the exact voltage output as long as it's stable throughout the loading (low V droop) and has low noise (by lax, I mean well within spec but not exactly the right voltage). All PC component manufacturers take that variation into account.

So even if the voltage is 12.2 Volts across the entire power usage range, that's much better than a PSU that swings from 12.2 to 11.8 across the power usage range. Neither of them are particularly close to 12 compared to each other, but one is more stable.

CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard
Asus Prime X470-Pro
GPU
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC Ultra
RAM
TeamGroup T-Force 16 GB (2x8) Pro Dark (B-die TDPGD416G3200HC14ADC01)
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum SSR-750PX
Cooling
Corsair H80i (not V2 or GT)
Monitor
LG 34UC80-B
Keyboard
Logitech G413
Mouse
Logitech G503 RGB
Audio
Creative SoundBlaster Z (OEM)
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in