PSU cables with inline capacitors: what happens if a cable cap goes KO? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

PSU cables with inline capacitors: what happens if a cable cap goes KO?

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
Not New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by lexer View Post
I doesn't matter because the connectors are in parallel, most PSU today have only a single rail. Even in multi-rail PSU the output are "artificially" divided with shunt resistors that monitor the output of each rail but in reality is one
so in other words they didn't need to complicate things by making separate pci-e cables (and connectors on GPUs) they could've just had 1 single 8pin connector & 1 cable no matter how much the GPU needs??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 03:42 PM
Watercooled

Rep: 47 (Unique: 33)
Quote: Originally Posted by pulverizor View Post
so in other words they didn't need to complicate things by making separate pci-e cables (and connectors on GPUs) they could've just had 1 single 8pin connector & 1 cable no matter how much the GPU needs??
Nope having multiple cables reduce the total resistance and you have less voltage drop and less heat on the cables. That is the reason some manufacters recommend using two separate cables for high power GPU instead of the daisy chain. But you can imagine that works is like a "single cable"

I7 8700K@4.7Ghz / Z370-A / 2X8GB 3200Mhz ADATA Spectrix D40 / 1TB Intel 600P / EVO 850 250GB / 4TB WD Gold / RTX 2080 GAMING OC / NZXT Noctis 450 ROG / EVGA G2 850W@ECO
Heatkiller REV 3.0 / XSPC EX360 / DDC 3.25 + EK-XRES / 3x Venturi HF-12 PWM

Last edited by lexer; 01-30-2019 at 03:51 PM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 04:09 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 339 (Unique: 240)
The caps are useful, same as using multiple cables to GPUs instead of a single 8+6. The caps are not necessary and removing them doesn't cause any issues but may increase whine from GPU etc. If they go bad then you probably have way bigger problems than the caps LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 06:29 AM
RTX ON FPS OFF

Rep: 29 (Unique: 26)
So after looking at my existing cables I just realized that they must already have capacitors built in.

At this point I'm almost wondering if it's a faulty unit due to the whine, maybe trying another PSU of similar caliber could help me determine if it's something that can be fixed or just a symptom of waterblocking my card.

KRAKEN
(13 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA
RAM
Kingston HyperX Predator RGB
Hard Drive
ADATA XPG SX8200
Power Supply
EVGA SUPERNOVA G2
Cooling
EK Velocity Nickel-Plexi, EK Vector RTX Nickel-Plexi, EK EX360, Koolance 360mm, Enermax Neochanger
Case
Thermaltake A500
Operating System
W10 Premium
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Keyboard
Corsair LUX
Mouse
Logitech G502 Spectrum
Audio
Audiotechnica ATH-900X, SBX G5, MODMIC
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in