Corsair AXi PSUs - safe to buy already? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Corsair AXi PSUs - safe to buy already?

post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 09:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
So, is there a way to identify which ones have the inferior components without cracking it open?

I've been using an AXi 860 for a while with no issues, but I'm planning on keeping this tower intact after I finish my new one and was considering an AXi 1200 for the new machine. Should I be looking for another product line?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 10:09 AM
Not New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by irced View Post
So, is there a way to identify which ones have the inferior components without cracking it open?
if you can't get a clear peek through the fan grid or the modular connector holes then nope AFAIK the only way is to check out the various reviews on the web (and hope that the manufacturers didn't send the reviewers a "special" version of their product)

Quote:
I've been using an AXi 860 for a while with no issues, but I'm planning on keeping this tower intact after I finish my new one and was considering an AXi 1200 for the new machine. Should I be looking for another product line?
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...citors.174779/
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 11:04 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by irced View Post

The Greek dude which does tom's reviews and cybenetics site has his own youtube channel were he tears apart almost a hundred PSUs, that's a good start to cross-reference with other reviewers like johnnyguru and other sites german and the like.

But if you did all the research yourself and the pattern you're gonna notice from us who've been doing this for ages now , is that Seasonic Focus Platinum is probably the best you need it, unless you want to shell out money for something really top of the line, or you have specific things you're looking for, but even in the case of braided single cables and such, it's better to get custom cables than search for a good PSUs that comes with them.

Outside the Focus Platinum, Corsair RMx old and new is a decent choice especially for ultra silence and so are Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 11 and Superflower Leadex Platinum (as good silence choice as Corsair RMx) but these 2 are older PSUs and i wouldn't recommend getting them.

The only thing i can add as different opinion is check the Aerocool Project 7 as it's as silent as RMx=Leadex I Platinum=Prime Ultra Titanium, and i think Aerocool is trying to push itself as a premium brand so i doubt there's gonna be much bait and switch with the OEM Andyson N700 Titanium it's based on.

And of course i don't know if anything beats Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium.

Last edited by Dogzilla07; 02-06-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 12:05 PM
Not New to Overclock.net

corsair RMx like the RM tends to overheat - which is a pity cause they have top build quality - so better avoid unless you got expensive space-age case with ****loads of ventilation
(RMx has overtemperature protection but what if the PSU heats up below OTP threshold? this will lower PSU lifespan)

seasonic prime are excellent build quality but has poor transient response performance (can even trigger protection shutdown sometimes - awesome to have your rig power off when you're in the middle of something ey?)

seasonic focus are equally good build quality with better transient performance but tend to have very high inrush current at least on 230V (tough luck for europeans) this sucks this means when you turn on your PSU you can cause the house's circuit breaker to trip lol
and the overcurrent protection threshold on the Focus units tend to be set too high (they allow too many amps before OCP triggers)

so yeah...looks like there is no "perfect" psu ^^
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 12:54 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Quote: Originally Posted by pulverizor View Post
corsair RMx like the RM tends to overheat - which is a pity cause they have top build quality - so better avoid unless you got expensive space-age case with ****loads of ventilation
(RMx has overtemperature protection but what if the PSU heats up below OTP threshold? this will lower PSU lifespan)

and the overcurrent protection threshold on the Focus units tend to be set too high (they allow too many amps before OCP triggers)

so yeah...looks like there is no "perfect" psu ^^
Any proof for RMx overheating ?, you kind of contradict yourself there, you say it tends to overheat, but under you said not exactly overheat and shutdown and trip OTP, but just work in high heat /while overheating, and then you contradict yourself again when you say that it has top build quality which would make it irrelevant that it's running under "heat" unless someone is in 38 degrees Celsius plus desert or other ultra hot climate, and if it was torture tested in the factory and works in spec @40, or @50 degrees, and it can do 600W np even if rated for 550w with 10 year warranty why would it matter again ?

The beauty of RMx and Project 7 and Leadex Platinum and i think Prime Ultra Titanium is the low max fan speed that can't bug or trip out and a better fan speed curve than most other PSUs.

The only way i see what you're saying happening and the PSU dying before caps go out at normal 10-14 years of usage is if you didn't leave enough headroom and the PSU is running at more than 75-80% of it's rated power draw in summers of over 35 degrees in horrible fishtank cases with a wierd hot air pocket above PSU and a case that is slammed to the floor with no elevation for PSU to intake air which means that this is pure user error and that person has bigger fish to fry by actively destroying not only the PSU but the hard drives the gpu and possible the cpu depending on how high temps are around the case ?

And then on top of that you say that having a decent ventilation setup is expensive or requires space-age cases ?, that's preposterous hyperbole, what does this even mean it doesn't make sense, the cpu and gpu would be hitting over 95 degrees in this use case scenario and that person would be fixing ventilation/airflow or buying new case way before of an extremely improbable scenario a quality PSU dies. Which if it's high quality won't even taking anything with it when it dies, which is another way this point is mute, ...

I mean i hope you didn't come to this conclusion just because the fan has lower max speed, i would like to see some tests or at least a proper explanation of a user that this happened too in a review on a seller site.

Wasn't the OCP treshold fixed for all focus after like october 2017 or something ?

Last edited by Dogzilla07; 02-06-2019 at 01:03 PM.
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 01:03 PM
Not New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Dogzilla07 View Post
Any proof for RMx overheating ?,
when users testify that their PSU feels burning hot to the touch to the point they can't keep their hand on that's enough of a hint '_'
Quote:
you kind of contradict yourself there, you say it tends to overheat, but under you said not exactly overheat and shutdown and trip OTP, but just work in high heat /while overheating, and then you contradict yourself again when you say that it has top build quality which would make it irrelevant that it's running under "heat" unless someone is in 38 degrees Celsius plus desert or other ultra hot climate, and if it was torture tested in the factory and works in spec @40, or @50 degrees, and it can do 600W np even if rated for 550w with 10 year warranty why would it matter again ?
well no they're banking on a maximum number of RMA's (and they can always refuse to honour the warranty on a technicality - maybe they'll blame the overheating on bad use or something) my point is if it overheats *but* not enough to trigger OTP then it's even worse because if OTP's triggered at least it spares the PSU by shutting it down. capice?

besides whether build quality is good or not fact is high operating temperatures always lower life expectancy

Quote:
in horrible fishtank cases hot air pocket above PSU that are slammed to the floor with no elevation for CPU to intake air
and that's the problem with current cases where the PSU is at the bottom (apparently in the past the PSU use to be at top of case so no risk of obstruction of air intake but then some1 decided that PSU at the bottom was to be the new trend)

Quote:
I mean i hope you didn't come to this conclusion just because the fan has lower max speed
who cares whether it's the fan or whatever reason/excuse the fact is if PSU overheats then you should attend to such flaws & fix the flaws in your product

Last edited by pulverizor; 02-06-2019 at 01:10 PM.
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 01:12 PM
Linux Lobbyist

when users testify that their PSU feels piping hot to the touch that's enough of a hint

well no they're banking on a maximum number of RMA's my point is if it overheats *but* not enough to trigger OTP then it's even worse because if OTP's triggered at least it spares the PSU. capice?

The beauty of RMx and Project 7 and Leadex Platinum and i think Prime Ultra Titanium is the low max fan speed that can't bug or trip out and a better fan speed curve than most other PSUs.

and that's the problem with modern cases where the PSU is at the bottom (in the past they used to be at top of case so no risk of obstruction of air intake)

I dont care about the fans or whatever the excuse is the fact is if it overheats then you should attend to such flaws & fix it
Piping hot to the touch, did i read this right, oh lawd oh my sides, that's absolutely irrelevant people gonna feel hot touching stuff below 40 degrees, they don't know biology and when their skin feels hot, they don't even know if they have thin skin and feel hot faster than an average person, they don't even know how the PSU is designed, or how big or what kind of heatsinks it has or how efficiency fits into this.

My old Seasonic SS-760 with a broken eco that had fan that never span up, worked 7 years with no fan at 250-450W peak usage and i gave it to a friend and it's still working 2.5 years later and all it has is moderate coil whine. Hell do you know what i did with a Seasonic evo that has a fan too loud i fricking ripped it out, put a 1200RPM silent fan in and electrically isolated and routed the cable to an extender and plugged it in the motherboard and ran at 900 RPM for years, ...

This user test sounds a lot like my friend who complains of CPU overheating and takes top panel off because it's hot to the touch and there's hot air coming out of exhaust and then i check his CPU and GPU temperatures and they are absolutely normal even in synthetic stress test let alone gaming scenario, and the air is hotter on top because of the airflow setup and he still doesn't believe me or understand 5 years later no matter how many times i explain to him, and swears his previous PC was cold there, and that PC had horrible airflow and fan placement and vortexes and hot air pockets and air coming out of the back into the wall where he didn't notice it and was actually overheating lol. He also made me downclock the 2500K on that PC and then switched to a new PC because he didn't have enough FPS in same games anymore, ...

This is quite a subjective and no proof response, i was at least expecting a link to actual multiple comments of people with this problem that tested or took apart, or at least their convos with RMA, or even your bad experience with an RMx, this is just hearsay and you're even having trouble with PSUs not being on top anymore and not that the case makers should just make slightly longer/higher case feet ?

P.S. Ok, 40 degrees that hot to the touch might be a bit of a stretch, we might not be on the same page what this means about how hot it actually is but i'm still not convinced that it is an accurate way to determine the temperature inside the PSU itself.

P.S.2
who cares whether it's the fan or whatever reason/excuse the fact is if PSU overheats then you should attend to such flaws & fix the flaws in your product
Just to clarify cause i get the feeling that we're actually on the same page here i completely agree with you that if there's a bad design decision or a sneaky decision to make a apple style planned obsolescence ploy that this is actually horrible, and those kind of flaws should be fixed.

But I still think that putting freaking 1800-2200RPM fans in power supplies is ludicrous, that 1000-1250RPM fans are more than enough, and that a properly balanced fan curve is a must, and that >1400RPM fans and a PSU designed around them are a bad design choice, and the PSU should be designed to work within its 7-12 years warranty @45-50 degrees C constant temperature around lower max rpm fans.

Last edited by Dogzilla07; 02-06-2019 at 01:42 PM.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 01:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 24 (Unique: 20)
I have an ax 1500i, had a buggy Link dongle that caused looping restarts. Thankfully I had an extra that worked fine.

I get minor buzzing from some wall outlets as well, it was much worse in my old house with older wiring.

The Link software isn't super accurate when you want to read how much power your system is using. When I compare it to my kill-a-watt reader from the wall, it's normally off by a lot, especially at idle. For instance, when Link would read 40w at idle, the wall meter read 180 watts. It was a good idea, but it's not accurate for that specific purpose. Also their customer support is horrible. I used, and paid, for their express service to expedite a PSU RMA, but still took them over 2 months to replace my PSU, their staff was also horrible in helping me, I had to go through multiple people to get through to them. My system does run stable and perfectly fine on it considering what I'm running (on full load can get up to 1000w), so I have no reason to switch it out, but if I was, I wouldn't get another corsair PSU and research something better with better support behind their products. Probably a top shelf Seasonic or EVGA as many have already mentioned. Don't buy this PSU for the monitoring software.

ZMT watercool setup -- Phanteks Enthoo Elite -- hwlabs gtr 420 x 2 -- -- xspc tx360 crossflow -- noctua A14 PWM x9 -- 9900x -- x299 TUF Mk1
Corsair Hydro X XC9 -- 64gb 3200 tridentZ Royal CL14 -- AX1500i -- 2x 7600p on hyper m.2 VROC 4TB -- EK ZMT Tubing -- Ek Fittings -- dual Aorus Waterforce xtreme 2080ti -- asus PG279UZ monitors x3 7680x1440 surround
Bertha5.5
(21 items)
CPU
9900x
Motherboard
X2399 TUF Mk1
GPU
Aorus 2080ti Waterforce Xtreme
GPU
Aorus 2080ti Waterforce Xtreme
RAM
TridentZ Royal 3200 CL14
Hard Drive
VROC 7600P x2
Power Supply
Ax1500i
Cooling
HWL GTR 420 x2
Cooling
XSPC TX360 Crossflow
Cooling
EK ZMT 10/16
Cooling
Corsair XC9
Cooling
Corsair XD5
Cooling
EK 10/16 Fittings
Cooling
Noctua A14 PWM x9
Cooling
Noctua NF-P12 PWM redux x3
Case
Enthoo Elite
Operating System
Win 10 Pro 64
Monitor
Asus PG279QZ x3
Keyboard
Corsair K95 RGB Platinum
Mouse
Corsair Nightsword
Mousepad
Corsair MM800
▲ hide details ▲
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 02:14 PM
Not New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Dogzilla07 View Post
Piping hot to the touch, did i read this right, oh lawd oh my sides, that's absolutely irrelevant people gonna feel hot touching stuff below 40 degrees,
really? I didn't know there were so many delicate flowers out there
then again I can keep my hand on the PSU even under prime95 or furmark (then again it's no Corsair RM hehe)

Quote:

This is quite a subjective and no proof response, i was at least expecting a link to actual multiple comments of people with this problem that tested or took apart, or at least their convos with RMA, or even your bad experience with an RMx, this is just hearsay and you're even having trouble with PSUs not being on top anymore and not that the case makers should just make slightly longer/higher case feet ?
or here's a novel idea why not just go back to the decade old design of putting the PSU at the top of the case?
heat rises but at least it's evacuated by the PSU's fan

but hey since you want links a quick google will do just the first 4 links
https://www.overclock.net/forum/31-p...ir-rm-psu.html (first result points to this site how about that lol)
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...ting-up-my-pc/
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answer...ld-rating.html
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answer...-shutdown.html

Quote:
P.S. Ok, 40 degrees that hot to the touch might be a bit of a stretch, we might not be on the same page what this means about how hot it actually is but i'm still not convinced that it is an accurate way to determine the temperature inside the PSU itself.
if you can keep your hand on it then ok else not ok how's that for a simple test ^^

Quote:
But I still think that putting freaking 1800-2200RPM fans in power supplies is ludicrous, that 1000-1250RPM fans are more than enough, and that a properly balanced fan curve is a must, and that >1400RPM fans and a PSU designed around them are a bad design choice, and the PSU should be designed to work within its 7-12 years warranty @45-50 degrees C constant temperature around lower max rpm fans.
I dunno how fast Corsair RM/x fans spin or even if their fan speed has anything to do with the PSU overheating maybe it's another more serious flaw who knows
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 03:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
The manufacturing location of a cap isn't relevant. All that matters is that they are good caps.
The issue with cheap Chinese caps was they were smaller caps wrapped in a bigger casing with higher advertised specs.
A good PSU will have caps rated for the job.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in