Corsair AXi PSUs - safe to buy already? - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Corsair AXi PSUs - safe to buy already?

post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 11:12 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by pulverizor View Post
Corsair RM is NOT the same as Corsair RMx, So 2 of those links are irrelevant. RM did indeed suck, while RMx has been and is their best series. The 4th link might indicate something, or it just might be a bad unit and an unlucky person, that's why asked for proof, i didn't find enough when I googled myself, ...

And i found this comment to be quite interesting on the linustechtips link from JohnnyGuru himself:

"Ok. If it's Platinum, the PSU itself shouldn't be generating that much heat. The housing might feel hot to the touch because Seasonic uses the PSU housing as a heatsink. The +12V MOSFET are on the bottom of the PCB right up against the housing. So it's going to be hot to the touch."

Last edited by Dogzilla07; 02-08-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 08:20 AM
Not New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by Dogzilla07 View Post
Corsair RM is NOT the same as Corsair RMx, So 2 of those links are irrelevant. RM did indeed suck, while RMx has been and is their best series. The 4th link might indicate something, or it just might be a bad unit and an unlucky person, that's why asked for proof, i didn't find enough when I googled myself, ...

And i found this comment to be quite interesting on the linustechtips link from JohnnyGuru himself:

"Ok. If it's Platinum, the PSU itself shouldn't be generating that much heat. The housing might feel hot to the touch because Seasonic uses the PSU housing as a heatsink. The +12V MOSFET are on the bottom of the PCB right up against the housing. So it's going to be hot to the touch."
but the real difference between RM & RMx is just that RMx uses 100% japanese caps right? (RM mixes japanese & low quality chin caps)
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 08:23 AM
Senior OCN Member

Rep: 2739 (Unique: 1626)
The RM has nothing to do with the RMx other than the name so i would appreciate it if you could do some basic research before thowing up a link to one of my threads
The RMi and RMx uses the same platform as the HXi

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Corsair Force MP510 1,92 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 16 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 with Cherry MX Silent
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod 30 CM Magnetic Red LED strip
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 03:13 PM
Not New to Overclock.net

Quote:
The RM has nothing to do with the RMx other than the name
Quote:
The RMi and RMx uses the same platform as the HXi
ok

Quote: Originally Posted by shilka View Post
i would appreciate it if you could do some basic research before thowing up a link to one of my threads
take it up with Google the search threw up your thread as the first result
a transnational multi Billion dollar monopolistic corporation must have greater responsibility than us to be more accurate no?
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 07:03 AM
Linux Lobbyist

I did forget one way anyone can calm their worries about RMx, it's what @doyll mentioned a few time he does. Place a fan onto the PSU below the GPU to cool the PSU additionally xD. I don't remember what's the best orientation but i'd say have it just pull from the PSU's metal plate into the GPU fans.
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 04:59 PM
Not New to Overclock.net

if you put a custom fan on an RMx wouldn't the logical way be to put it so it faces & blows in the same direction as the PSU's own fan? (superimpose it directly on the PSU's fan grid)
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 03:09 AM
Linux Lobbyist

It doesn't really matter how you put the extra fan, because the PSU's own fan is on the other side on the bottom, pulling air into the PSU and then pushing it into the direction of where GPU is located and then pushing itoutside near the cable and switch due to that plastic air blocker piece. I did remember that I thought whether you put it so it faces down and blows depends on how close your graphic card is to that fan and the PSU. If it's far away, yes you can put it to face down and blow onto the metal of the PSU, cause i kinda remember that that should be a better. But if your graphic card is close, you don't want the fan "stealing" air that was supposed to go into the GPU, and I think it's better to set it to pull air into the GPU.

I might be wrong on how much impact orientation has, I'm hoping @doyll comes and tells what happened when he tested it.

Last edited by Dogzilla07; 02-14-2019 at 08:43 AM.
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
"Ok. Is there anything better than Prime Ultra?"
Better on what terms? "Better" tends to imply there is some sort of criteria to be exceeded. You want better efficiency, ripple suppression, voltage regulation, wattage, etc...? The load tests are out there for all recent low to high end PSUs as long as it's a fairly common unit, shouldn't be hard to compare the Ultra's performance against the competition.
sorry, was on vacation, so a bit late with replies! By better I mean "lifetime", stability, noise, efficiency.. Do you have any idea where can I find those tests?

Quote: Originally Posted by KCDC View Post
I have an ax 1500i, had a buggy Link dongle that caused looping restarts. Thankfully I had an extra that worked fine.

I get minor buzzing from some wall outlets as well, it was much worse in my old house with older wiring.

The Link software isn't super accurate when you want to read how much power your system is using. When I compare it to my kill-a-watt reader from the wall, it's normally off by a lot, especially at idle. For instance, when Link would read 40w at idle, the wall meter read 180 watts. It was a good idea, but it's not accurate for that specific purpose. Also their customer support is horrible. I used, and paid, for their express service to expedite a PSU RMA, but still took them over 2 months to replace my PSU, their staff was also horrible in helping me, I had to go through multiple people to get through to them. My system does run stable and perfectly fine on it considering what I'm running (on full load can get up to 1000w), so I have no reason to switch it out, but if I was, I wouldn't get another corsair PSU and research something better with better support behind their products. Probably a top shelf Seasonic or EVGA as many have already mentioned. Don't buy this PSU for the monitoring software.

oh damn, i'm so geeky about monitoring stuff
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 01:04 AM
Senior OCN Member

Rep: 2739 (Unique: 1626)
Quote: Originally Posted by SimplyQQ View Post
oh damn, i'm so geeky about monitoring stuff
If you like that sort of stuff Asus has their Thor series which are Seasonic rebrands and they have an LED screen on the side showing how much power your system is using

https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Car...ROG-THOR-850P/
https://www.asus.com/dk/Graphics-Car...OG-THOR-1200P/

No idea how accurate that screen is and you will have to mount the PSU with the fan up to see the screen

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Corsair Force MP510 1,92 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 16 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 with Cherry MX Silent
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod 30 CM Magnetic Red LED strip
▲ hide details ▲
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 02:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
Quote: Originally Posted by SimplyQQ View Post
sorry, was on vacation, so a bit late with replies! By better I mean "lifetime", stability, noise, efficiency.. Do you have any idea where can I find those tests?
No reviewer tests PSUs for longevity or "lifetime", it's just not possible.

It would be extremely expensive to load test a PSU for the span of the warranty so you can get a sense of it's "lifetime", especially if you're doing more than a single unit. By the time they had any relevant info the PSUs in question would be outdated anyway.
Ripple, regulation, noise, OTP/OCP, temp range and efficiency are tested by all PSU reviewers. If they don't test those things, they aren't reviewing PSUs. Any somewhat popular PSU's reviews can be found by Googling the model and "review".
It's pretty safe to say that the warranty period is the minimum of how long a PSU will last. I think the higher end Focus models have 12 years.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in