just had a novel idea for a new PSU & case configuration ^^ - Page 10 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

just had a novel idea for a new PSU & case configuration ^^

post #91 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 01:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Quote: Originally Posted by Blameless View Post
Most of the mainstream aluminum cases that did exist also had some critical flaws as well.

For example, I had an original Lian-Li PC-60 (which was entirely aluminum, barring a few rivets and standoffs), that was great, except:

- Aluminum thumb screws, half of which eventually broke off in their screw holes.
- Aluminum screw holes, with no harder metal inserts, half of which wound up stripped smooth, if they didn't have part of a screw broken off in them first.
- Super restrictive stamped exhaust vent that I had to open up with a dremel for the case to breathe.
- The most idiotic motherboard standoffs ever conceived by a diseased mind. They were these little steel spring thing that snapped into the back of the aluminum motherboard tray. They were always a little loose but taking them out, when you invariably stripped one because it was 0.2mm thick piece of stamped steel with maybe three rows of thread, with out damaging them or the tray was almost impossible.
- Sharp edges everywhere, with a few easily lost plastic guards covering them. I once slipped trying to force out one of the motherboard standoffs and almost severed the extensor tendon in my thumb, which still throbs occasionally, fifteen years later, because the veins that grew in to replace the large vessel I severed don't seem to to carry quite as much blood.
It's been a while, but I don't remember too many problems with my cases other than 80mm fans. Don't recall the model numbers, one was a mid-tower with removable mb tray (main reason I bought) and a full tower with 8 or 9 five and a quarter bays. Went to caselabs after them. I think I only have 2 non aluminum - an Antec Lanboy and a Corsair.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in