Powersupplies with least amount of AC ripple - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Powersupplies with least amount of AC ripple

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 05:30 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Notanymore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 12
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
"Corsair sounds not bad at all based on Johny Gurus reviews, but it's not silent, how loud it is."

My Cosair TX-650 is silent. I've had it for a year now. I heard it for the first time about a month ago for like 3 seconds. It was like hearing a baby say their first words the first time...LOL! I just smiled when I heard it. The fan does not even turn on unless absolutely needed.

Azza Inferno 310 Case|AMD Ryzen 7 1700X|Deepcool GAMMAXX GT RGB Cooler|AsRock X370 Taichi MOBO|GSkill Trident-Z RGB 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 CL-14|Samsung 970 EVO Pro NVMe M.2 512GB|Samsung 850 EVO 500GB|Tosihiba DT01ACA300 HDD 3TB|Seagate ST1000DX001 HDD 1TB|EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 Ti FTW2|Corsair TX-650 650W PSU|6 x Enermax T.B. RGB Fans
Notanymore is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 05:57 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Gabe1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 20
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
I've been running a EVGA 750 G3 on a 5820K for over a year without an issue...
Gabe1 is offline  
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 07:20 PM
Overclocker
 
JackCY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 10,012
Rep: 339 (Unique: 240)
Quote: Originally Posted by XLifted View Post
Do you know of such a PSU? Do you know the name?
A good switching PSU? As other posted many times, PSUs from EVGA G2/SuperFlower Leadex lineup etc., EVGA/Seasonic models and even other. Seasonic Prime and those cheaper gold ones (FOCUS) only these newer series to consider the old ones (G series, M12/S12 and what not) are pretty poor whine wise or outright outdated a lot.

A good linear PSU as I said I don't know of any for PC market. These are often either lab PSUs or audio equipment PSUs. They are inefficient but have low ripple.

Modern switching PSUs for PC are fairly good if you look into what to buy precisely, you won't have a problem with ripple. Whine noise... you can try and prevent it but never 100%. 100% of GPUs whine in some situation, etc. Sometimes a combination of components can make it whine somewhere.
JackCY is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:15 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
munternet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 210
Rep: 7 (Unique: 4)
Is the GPU whine something associated with 110v supplies?
I run a HX1200i and the fan never turns on that I've noticed so there's no fan noise and I've never heard a whine coming from the GPU/VRMs except once on a stress test (forget which one).
Parts in sig.

I didn't read all the posts so I apologize if this was already addressed

Battle PC
(15 items)
CPU
8700k @ 5.2ghZ
Motherboard
Maximus X Hero
GPU
EVGA 1080 Ti Superclock 2 Black
RAM
32GB 1xF4-4400C19D-16GTZSW & 1xF4-4400C19D-16GTZKK
Hard Drive
Sansung M.2 1TB 970 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair HX1200i
Cooling
EK 140D5 Pump, waterblocked CPU, Ram, GPU with 2x 360mm Radiators and Vardar Fans
Case
ThermalTake V51
Operating System
Windows 10 Lite
Monitor
Dell Computer DELL U3415W 34.1 inches 3440 x 1440 pixels @ 48-85 Hz
Keyboard
Corsair K95 RGB Platinum
Mouse
Asus Spatha Wireless Gaming
Mouse
Ligitech G602 wireless
Mousepad
1000mm x 500mm
Audio
Steelseries Siberia800 wireless Headset
▲ hide details ▲
munternet is offline  
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:54 AM
Broken
 
nanotm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 423
Rep: 31 (Unique: 19)
well its been my personal opinion that since the sweet spot of efficiency is between 50%>80% load on the psu your best of determining what your peak power draw should be cpu+gfx +100w (average for ancillaries) (most often somewhere around 500>650w meaning you should be looking at between 850 and 1000w psu's to be within the peek efficiency curve for hte psu (this also means its not likely to get warm through use nor need more than around 30% fan speed even on the hottest days) this will also mean that providing your running from a stable supply its unlikely to make any noise

as to the op's question on page 1 by UPS I mean Uninterruptable Power Supply like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0083TXNMM...i-a=B0083TXNMM

I'm not in the US though I'm fairly certain you can get better deals than the ones listed on the amazon page, however you should be looking for something thats going to give you at a minimum 1500va for 30 mins (this also means you can run the tower +monitor +modem/router off of it and if you shut down the pc during a power cut your wifi will still work for several days due to the minimal power draw, I know this last part from personal experience, although best if you get one that lets you turn the alarms off becasue they tend to be loud and annoying)

oh found this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0083TXNMM...i-a=B0083TXNMM
much better price but I didnt bother looking to far into it / probably still cheaper and better options from places like Walmart or bestbuy /
nanotm is offline  
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:10 PM
News Fiend
 
ryan92084's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: 'merica
Posts: 2,067
Quote: Originally Posted by nanotm View Post
well its been my personal opinion that since the sweet spot of efficiency is between 50%>80% load on the psu your best of determining what your peak power draw should be cpu+gfx +100w (average for ancillaries) (most often somewhere around 500>650w meaning you should be looking at between 850 and 1000w psu's to be within the peek efficiency curve for hte psu (this also means its not likely to get warm through use nor need more than around 30% fan speed even on the hottest days) this will also mean that providing your running from a stable supply its unlikely to make any noise

as to the op's question on page 1 by UPS I mean Uninterruptable Power Supply like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0083TXNMM...i-a=B0083TXNMM

I'm not in the US though I'm fairly certain you can get better deals than the ones listed on the amazon page, however you should be looking for something thats going to give you at a minimum 1500va for 30 mins (this also means you can run the tower +monitor +modem/router off of it and if you shut down the pc during a power cut your wifi will still work for several days due to the minimal power draw, I know this last part from personal experience, although best if you get one that lets you turn the alarms off becasue they tend to be loud and annoying)

oh found this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0083TXNMM...i-a=B0083TXNMM
much better price but I didnt bother looking to far into it / probably still cheaper and better options from places like Walmart or bestbuy /
Most home users would be looking at something more like https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16842102238

Meh '12
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
XFX Fury X
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 F4-3200C14D-16GTZSW
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 512GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro-Series
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB Enterprise NAS SATA (ST4000VN0001)
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Drive WD1003FZEX
Power Supply
SEASONIC PLATINUM-860 860W RT
Cooling
Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS Radiator x2
Cooling
Monsoon MMRS Reservoir + D5 pump + mountings
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm Neo Metal
Cooling
EKWB Fury X
Cooling
Monsoon Free Center 1/2ID 3/4OD fittings + Rotaries + plug + Temp probe
Cooling
BeQuiet SilentWings 3 High Speed PWM x 9
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 27" IPS 27UK650
Keyboard
Massdrop CTRL
Mouse
Logitech g403
Mousepad
HAYATE KOU FX SOFT NINJA Black L
Audio
Blue Yeti Black
Audio
Massdrop x AKG K7XX
Other
LIAN LI O11D-1X ,Riser Cable and cover bracket for PC-O11D
CPU
i5 3570k
Motherboard
Z77x-UD5H
GPU
Zotac 670 GTX AMP!
RAM
G.Skill f3-2400c10D-16gtx
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 128GB
Optical Drive
Some old thing
Power Supply
Seasonic platinum 860w
Cooling
Custom water
Case
Customized Thermaltake Armor
Operating System
Win 10 pro
Monitor
Dell U2413
Keyboard
Ducky Shine
Mouse
Logi G502
▲ hide details ▲


ryan92084 is offline  
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:26 AM
Broken
 
nanotm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 423
Rep: 31 (Unique: 19)
Quote: Originally Posted by ryan92084 View Post
Most home users would be looking at something more like https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16842102238
would that be why the vast majority dont end up with what they need and end up annoyed that the device isnt up to the job ?

this is the actual device I purchased https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had it for around 5 years, prior to that I purchased other junk like the item you listed and it was woefully inadequate and ended up purchasing several different ones over about 15 years, mostly because the sort of item I actually wanted was way outside of my price bracket until one day it wasn't...

and I can run my pc off the ups box for about an hour whilst under heavy load (at max power draw my old system was sucking in around 750w, my new rig barely pops over 500w but thats what happens 10 years on everything is more power efficient)


prior to getting the UPS and plugging an extension bar into it (for things like the phone wall wart and the psu's for the modem, external drives etc) I was replacing those things way too often (but the old UPS could barely keep the pc running never mind anything else) now I have had the same UPS router and multiple power bricks since 2014 and saved a bunch of money in the process....

I knew what I needed and when I finally found something that fit the price bracket I got it happily (certainly cheaper than rma'ing the psu that I had replaced twice due to problems caused by the incoming supply being erratic)
nanotm is offline  
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 07:41 AM
News Fiend
 
ryan92084's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: 'merica
Posts: 2,067
I wouldn't say yours is a typical home use case. Regardless we are well outside the topic now.

Meh '12
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
XFX Fury X
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 F4-3200C14D-16GTZSW
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 512GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro-Series
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB Enterprise NAS SATA (ST4000VN0001)
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Drive WD1003FZEX
Power Supply
SEASONIC PLATINUM-860 860W RT
Cooling
Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS Radiator x2
Cooling
Monsoon MMRS Reservoir + D5 pump + mountings
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm Neo Metal
Cooling
EKWB Fury X
Cooling
Monsoon Free Center 1/2ID 3/4OD fittings + Rotaries + plug + Temp probe
Cooling
BeQuiet SilentWings 3 High Speed PWM x 9
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 27" IPS 27UK650
Keyboard
Massdrop CTRL
Mouse
Logitech g403
Mousepad
HAYATE KOU FX SOFT NINJA Black L
Audio
Blue Yeti Black
Audio
Massdrop x AKG K7XX
Other
LIAN LI O11D-1X ,Riser Cable and cover bracket for PC-O11D
CPU
i5 3570k
Motherboard
Z77x-UD5H
GPU
Zotac 670 GTX AMP!
RAM
G.Skill f3-2400c10D-16gtx
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 128GB
Optical Drive
Some old thing
Power Supply
Seasonic platinum 860w
Cooling
Custom water
Case
Customized Thermaltake Armor
Operating System
Win 10 pro
Monitor
Dell U2413
Keyboard
Ducky Shine
Mouse
Logi G502
▲ hide details ▲


ryan92084 is offline  
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:22 PM
Not new to Overclock.net
 
TwoCables's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 77,823
Rep: 6214 (Unique: 3521)
Quote: Originally Posted by nanotm View Post
well its been my personal opinion that since the sweet spot of efficiency is between 50%>80% load on the psu your best of determining what your peak power draw should be cpu+gfx +100w (average for ancillaries) (most often somewhere around 500>650w meaning you should be looking at between 850 and 1000w psu's to be within the peek efficiency curve for hte psu (this also means its not likely to get warm through use nor need more than around 30% fan speed even on the hottest days) this will also mean that providing your running from a stable supply its unlikely to make any noise
No, no, no, no. It doesn't work that way. Your understanding of it is not quite correct (but then MOST people don't understand it correctly). Yes, most PSUs should give their best efficiency when the power consumption is between 40% and 60% of its total output capacity, but there's more to understand than just that alone. You want your average power consumption to fall in that range, not your peak. Even then, this really doesn't apply to today's good PSUs like it did to PSUs from many years ago. Some good PSUs today give their best efficiency at almost any power draw. So this is really an obsolete concern and there's really nothing more to discuss.

However, if one were to insist that this is important for them, then again, they should figure out what their average power consumption will be day to day and then base their purchase on that.

So, ok, let's say your most demanding activity is gaming and let's say you only do that for a couple of hours every day and the rest of the time your system is either idling, or under VERY low loading conditions, or off completely. That's a VERY low average power draw. Let's say the power consumption while gaming is precisely 500W. With everything else being the same as I just described (resulting in the extremely low average power draw), you could power this just fine with a high-end 550W PSU if you had to and you'd be fine and your average efficiency would still be quite good and this PSU would give you years and years and years of excellent service.

Now, let's take this in the complete opposite direction and say that your system is at full load 24/7. Maybe it's Folding and mining at the same time 24/7. Let's assume it is, and let's assume the power consumption is 500W. For THIS particular system and loading scenario, the average power consumption is 500W. That's enormously different from the previous situation where the average loading condition was extremely low. For an average load of 500W, yeah, I would recommend nothing less than a high-end 850W PSU. I would be foolish to recommend anything less than that for a 500W average power draw.

So you see, you can't just say "well, my peak hits 500W, so therefore I want an 850W PSU or bigger".

I don't want to hear about keeping the PSU cool either. With today's good PSUs, if you choose to keep your average power consumption at 40-60% of the total output capacity (which would be at least 100-200W higher than the continuous wattage rating that's advertised), then you're looking at a life of over 10 years for that PSU. Easily. Probably far longer than 10 years.

Yes, the GOOD PSUs only advertise their continuous wattage rating, not their absolute peak. So that 550W PSU I mentioned might actually have a peak of 750W, especially if it's a very high-end unit. Think about that for a while! The continuous rating means exactly that: continuous. 24/7. Non-stop. Imagine how damn good the PSU has to be in order to deliver 550W continuously. Why worry about pulling 500W out of a PSU like this for a few hours every day?! Right?!?! Right.


Loneliness is a good thing to share with someone.

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.
CPU
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage)
Motherboard
ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850)
GPU
MSI GTX 1070 Ti Gaming Titanium 8G
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9
Hard Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (OS)
Hard Drive
3 TB Toshiba P300 (D: drive)
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x
Cooling
Thermaltake Frio
Case
CM 690
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC)
Keyboard
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO
Mouse
Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate
Mousepad
It's just a mousepad
Audio
X-Fi Titanium HD
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable speaker wires)
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by TwoCables; 05-12-2019 at 09:27 PM.
TwoCables is offline  
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 02:13 AM
Broken
 
nanotm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 423
Rep: 31 (Unique: 19)
Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
No, no, no, no. It doesn't work that way. Your understanding of it is not quite correct (but then MOST people don't understand it correctly). Yes, most PSUs should give their best efficiency when the power consumption is between 40% and 60% of its total output capacity, but there's more to understand than just that alone. You want your average power consumption to fall in that range, not your peak. Even then, this really doesn't apply to today's good PSUs like it did to PSUs from many years ago. Some good PSUs today give their best efficiency at almost any power draw. So this is really an obsolete concern and there's really nothing more to discuss.

However, if one were to insist that this is important for them, then again, they should figure out what their average power consumption will be day to day and then base their purchase on that.

So, ok, let's say your most demanding activity is gaming and let's say you only do that for a couple of hours every day and the rest of the time your system is either idling, or under VERY low loading conditions, or off completely. That's a VERY low average power draw. Let's say the power consumption while gaming is precisely 500W. With everything else being the same as I just described (resulting in the extremely low average power draw), you could power this just fine with a high-end 550W PSU if you had to and you'd be fine and your average efficiency would still be quite good and this PSU would give you years and years and years of excellent service.

Now, let's take this in the complete opposite direction and say that your system is at full load 24/7. Maybe it's Folding and mining at the same time 24/7. Let's assume it is, and let's assume the power consumption is 500W. For THIS particular system and loading scenario, the average power consumption is 500W. That's enormously different from the previous situation where the average loading condition was extremely low. For an average load of 500W, yeah, I would recommend nothing less than a high-end 850W PSU. I would be foolish to recommend anything less than that for a 500W average power draw.

So you see, you can't just say "well, my peak hits 500W, so therefore I want an 850W PSU or bigger".

I don't want to hear about keeping the PSU cool either. With today's good PSUs, if you choose to keep your average power consumption at 40-60% of the total output capacity (which would be at least 100-200W higher than the continuous wattage rating that's advertised), then you're looking at a life of over 10 years for that PSU. Easily. Probably far longer than 10 years.

Yes, the GOOD PSUs only advertise their continuous wattage rating, not their absolute peak. So that 550W PSU I mentioned might actually have a peak of 750W, especially if it's a very high-end unit. Think about that for a while! The continuous rating means exactly that: continuous. 24/7. Non-stop. Imagine how damn good the PSU has to be in order to deliver 550W continuously. Why worry about pulling 500W out of a PSU like this for a few hours every day?! Right?!?! Right.
sure but since my average use case was playing some game or other, maybe editing a few videos and my occasional use was reading a book or doing some word processing I based my average power draw on my peak power draw, which is why I said in my experience...
nanotm is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off