i7 4790k
ASUS vii ranger (latest bios)
GTX 980 ti
Corsair ax 850 80+ gold
ADATA DDR3 2400mhz
3 ssd + 2 HDD
ASUS ROG PG279q
Corsair air 540

So my issue is that I can't switch on my pc with the power button but only when I keep switching my PSU on and off a couple of times then it goes on and everything seems fine. The psu is a bit old now. I though maybe it's a power issue going into the PSU and bought a ups to give me better power to the psu and still same issue.

Now before I fork out money on another psu I don't have another system to quickly test the PSU. I know about the paper clip test but before I go through that maybe someone had similar issues and can confirm if PSU or not. I would rather not upgrade the psu cause I can spend that money towards upgrading the rest of my system. If it's the psu then I want to upgrade to corsair AX1000. I know I don't need 1000w but I'm from South Africa and AX1000w is the only 80+ titanium psu and from the reviews the ripple is one of the best if not the best. I don't know if I should rather go for something lower like Corsair RMi/RM series or any of the other top tier rated psu that's a little bit cheaper.

Anyway hope someone can help me figure this out as I haven't changed anything really that I would think can cause the issue.

Gaming RIG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:10 PM
Senior OCN Member

Rep: 2751 (Unique: 1631)
Do you really need that level of efficiency?
The AX1000 is based on the Seasonic Prime which might be cheaper

What brand is your old PSU by the way?

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Corsair Force MP510 1,92 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 16 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 with Cherry MX Silent
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod 30 CM Magnetic Red LED strip
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by shilka; 06-18-2019 at 11:32 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:28 PM
Custy

Rep: 12 (Unique: 8)
Good reviews on Corsair supplies Newegg South Africa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:30 PM
Senior OCN Member

Quote: Originally Posted by Rocklin View Post
Those are users reviews so they are not useful in any way whatsoever none of them are professional reviewers with access to professional level testing equipment nor have any of them done any load testing so they are useless

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Operating System
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:45 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 340 (Unique: 241)
Seasonic, Corsair, EVGA, ... shilka can give you a list of decent brand+model PSUs.
You don't need more than 650W really but if you plan to upgrade to some top expensive latest parts then sure 850W is good to have.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 9)
Quote: Originally Posted by Rocklin View Post

I agree. I love to read some reviews that does ripple testing etc.

But the thing is I still not 100% sure if it's actually my PSU that is faulty or the motherboard.

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Seasonic, Corsair, EVGA, ... shilka can give you a list of decent brand+model PSUs.
You don't need more than 650W really but if you plan to upgrade to some top expensive latest parts then sure 850W is good to have.
Ok so i will never go for HEDT platform always mainstream like for example if I have to upgrade now i will go 9900k or ryzen 3800x. I have tested with a wattage meter and my current system on full load cpu and gpu use about 450w max. so typical gaming under that and that's with custom bios on my gpu and it's watercooled with nzxt g12 and corsair h75.

Gaming RIG

Last edited by DiceAir; 06-18-2019 at 11:59 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 12:18 AM
Senior OCN Member

Quote: Originally Posted by DiceAir View Post

But the thing is I still not 100% sure if it's actually my PSU that is faulty or the motherboard.

Ok so i will never go for HEDT platform always mainstream like for example if I have to upgrade now i will go 9900k or ryzen 3800x. I have tested with a wattage meter and my current system on full load cpu and gpu use about 450w max. so typical gaming under that and that's with custom bios on my gpu and it's watercooled with nzxt g12 and corsair h75.
Did you take the rated efficiency of your PSU off the number you got from the wall?
If not then the number is not actually 450 its actually somewhere around 400 so anything more than a 650 watt is overkill

The Seasonic Focus Plus or the Seasonic Prime / Prime Ultra or the Corsair RMx are all good options
The AX1000 is way overkill

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Operating System
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by shilka View Post
Did you take the rated efficiency of your PSU off the number you got from the wall?
If not then the number is not actually 450 its actually somewhere around 400 so anything more than a 650 watt is overkill

The Seasonic Focus Plus or the Seasonic Prime / Prime Ultra or the Corsair RMx are all good options
The AX1000 is way overkill
ok It's same as kill-a-att so efficiency wasn't taken into account. I don't think 650w is overkill cause psu is most effective on 50% load. The only reason i was looking at the AX1000w is because I can't get it here in South Africa. Newegg South Africa is not actually in south Africa so shipping cost, customs etc will still need to be factored in . I will link to a view online shops we get here that I usually look at

https://www.evetech.co.za/PC-Compone...supply-78.aspx
https://www.rebeltech.co.za/61-power-supplies
https://www.wootware.co.za/computer-...power-supplies

This still don't answers my question. Do you people still think my PSU is at fault here???

Gaming RIG
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 12:40 AM
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 794 (Unique: 452)
Quote: Originally Posted by DiceAir View Post

did you account for psu efficency? (nevermind, just say your reply)

if not than the 450 is 405 assuming 90%. i have a similar set up i7-3770K [email protected] and 980ti bios modded 1.27v/ 350 watts. with both prime95 and kombuster's fuzzy doughnut (really kombusters version of furmark) max load was ~520 watts. gaming and booting into windows ~330 watts idles at ~90 watts. i don't know about you but my rig is on more than just gaming.

maybe i'm weird but i think a psu should fit like a glove ~20% at idle and 80% max load. a 650 watt PSU is 130 to 520 watts and 325 watts for the holy grail 50% load sweet spot.

however if you really want that AX1K here is a german review and its a grea PSU.
https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/test...ax1000/s01.php

though looking around on the newegg SA site there is a nice looking RM650i
thats half the price and has an excellent rating on jonnyguru
https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2015/...ower-supply/6/
(again, just saw your reply - sorry about the newegg links)
if you do want to try and trouble shoot your system w/o another psu, screwing around in the bios and whatnot probably won't help much. even the "paper clip" test will only confirm the psu turns on, which you already know.

its hard to judge what is going on because, well, does it trip off or is this something that occurs when trying to start the system from a cold boot? really try by passing the power button on the case, that is what could be going flaky, if its a cold start up issue. shorting the power pins on the mobo would be the next step?

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by looniam; 06-19-2019 at 12:43 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by looniam View Post
did you account for psu efficency? (nevermind, just say your reply)

if not than the 450 is 405 assuming 90%. i have a similar set up i7-3770K [email protected] and 980ti bios modded 1.27v/ 350 watts. with both prime95 and kombuster's fuzzy doughnut (really kombusters version of furmark) max load was ~520 watts. gaming and booting into windows ~330 watts idles at ~90 watts. i don't know about you but my rig is on more than just gaming.

maybe i'm weird but i think a psu should fit like a glove ~20% at idle and 80% max load. a 650 watt PSU is 130 to 520 watts and 325 watts for the holy grail 50% load sweet spot.

however if you really want that AX1K here is a german review and its a grea PSU.
https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/test...ax1000/s01.php

though looking around on the newegg SA site there is a nice looking RM650i
thats half the price and has an excellent rating on jonnyguru
https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2015/...ower-supply/6/
(again, just saw your reply - sorry about the newegg links)
if you do want to try and trouble shoot your system w/o another psu, screwing around in the bios and whatnot probably won't help much. even the "paper clip" test will only confirm the psu turns on, which you already know.

its hard to judge what is going on because, well, does it trip off or is this something that occurs when trying to start the system from a cold boot? really try by passing the power button on the case, that is what could be going flaky, if its a cold start up issue. shorting the power pins on the mobo would be the next step?
No problem with the links provided. Oh yeah tried shorting the pins on the mobo. Having the front panel unplugged and then pressing the power button on the motherboard and still nothing. I have the feeling it's to do with the 12v startup voltage. I might do some more testings later or maybe only over the weekend. Currently using an line interactive ups with modified sine wave so I might be able to temporary connect it using another online pure sine wave ups.

power never trips although soemthing weird happened the other day when i switched on my monitor the screen was black but from the very top of the panel to about 5-10cm down there was green blue and purple dots and lines etc. But then all i did was switching my monitor off (not by unplugging but just the power button) and back on it worked just fine. I also did some stress test of different loads from web browsing to watching a video file with hardware acceleration and to gaming and benchmarks and nothing seems weird so far or maybe i don't know that my overclocking/performance is being hindered by the fact that my psu is faulty.

I don't think there is any performance issues related to faulty PSU as far as I know. When I play a game I don't really get where my gpu and cpu isn't being maxed out. The only way I can make my cpu and gpu not maxing out is in games where there is a lot of stuff to draw on screen for example in apex when you jump but that's normal i think. once I land it runs like it should for my system with gpu being maxed out.

I also checked if the fan is working and also checked for capacitor leaking by just looking through grills and where the fan is situated so as far as i can see everything looks fine. One thing I can say is that my psu is pretty old like 7+ years I think so having to buy a new one for the next 7+ years I'm willing to spend a bit more and get a decent psu. I'm not the person that thinks the ax1000 is better than the ax850w just because it's higher wattage. I will ratehr take a 650w-850w that's amazing than a 1000w+ that's worse quality.

Oh sorry for the long reply just one last thing before i forget. sometimes when I do my usual power cycle where i have the press the PSU power switch on and off a few times my pc comes on then goes off and sometimes it goes on and no signal. To fix that have to cycle power switch n PSU again

Gaming RIG

Last edited by DiceAir; 06-19-2019 at 01:37 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in