New to Overclock.net
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Greece/US NorCal
So I've replaced my old PSU with Corsair RM650i
Old PSU: Silverstone SST-ST85F-G Strider Gold 850W (2010 model)
-I am getting like 5-7 degrees lower temps for my GPU under load.
- Annoying grinding sound from Silverstone's cheap China fan is gone. Could not stand it which is why I bought this specific model.
- Corsair PSU is COMPLETELY SILENT while gaming. Fan doesn't even work under load (but it does work when I press the fan test key).
- Corsair PSU temp under load is 39.5 Celsius.
- Removing all old cables and installing the new ones was so annoying that I wish I knew some kid that could do the job for like $50. I felt really stupid because I did all the work myself.
- Cable management is annoying like hell, I just wanted to get it over with asap.
- Corsair PSU felt and handled like a premium unit.
- Old PSU works just fine still after like 6+ years.
- Corsair Link is cool. Could have saved like $10 if I went for the non i version but I said to myself just "naaaaaahhhhh". I hope that God will never get me to the point I'd really need to clip $10 from my rig's PSU like some other folks, heh.
- Gave Seasonic a thought. Had a look at the equivalent model to Corsair's 650i and it had a switch on that disabled the fan if one wanted silent operation. Then I mentally saw myself getting up and then diving behind the case every day to switch the freaking fan on and off. Once again I said "Naaaaaahhhhhh". The fan curve on the 650i is programmable through Corsair Link at few clicks of a mouse button. So convenient.
- The fact that this is perhaps one of the most silent PSU's in the market today was the only reason why I bought it. Corsair Link and programmable fan curve was the other.