Faulty RM850x? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Faulty RM850x?

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 61 (Unique: 44)
Faulty RM850x?

Noticed a couple days ago that even when my computer is shut off 5 out of my 6 fans keep spinning at an extremely slow speed (Guessing like 100rpm) and the RGB on my H150i Pro is still on.

The common thing between the fans that are still spinning is they are the ones NOT connected to the motherboard. Three are connected to the H150i and two are connected to my Aorus 2080ti Xtream Waterforce GPU.

Did some googling and many pointed to turning off a setting in Windows that was already off and a couple mentioned a failing PSU.

As mentioned in the title I have a RM850x that is just over two years old. As a quick test without tearing too far into my PC I grabbed my multi meter and plugged it into one of the PCIE 6 pin connectors. With the system shut down but still plugged in (S5 system state) I saw 4.7V on the 12V rail. I am not too experienced with PSUs and am ~70% sure this PSU is toast but what really confuses me is I can run load tests (Intel Burn Test and Kombustor) no problem. According to my UPS my system including my primary monitor is pulling just over 600W from the wall when both tests are running.

Is RMA the right place to go with this one?

I am not an expert on anything DON'T take my advice blindly, it might get you killed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 09:19 PM
IT Profeshnul

Rep: 79 (Unique: 72)
Sounds like some voltage leak from maybe the 5V rail? With how everything is inside modern power supplies, a coil may induce a charge on another coil and cause some current to push through. I'd say RMA it. If Corsair doesn't think it's bad, they'll send it back, but they can test it and are the ultimate authority anyways.

Best of OCN (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by incurablegeek go_quote.gif

Nah, TheN00bBuilder, no need for you to be jealous of my slow-speed internet. My striking good looks and rock-hard abs - well, that's a whole 'nother story. thumbsupsmiley.png
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalUnicorn go_quote.gif

Pros: no more quartet of 40mm fans playing "Jet Engine in 12V Minor."
Quote:
Originally Posted by crust_cheese go_quote.gif

I run a UNIX. This means that I get girls about as often as my PC crashes. mad.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsnake2 go_quote.gif

Uhmmm, you dont pay for girlfriends. You pay for hookers.
Clubs (Click to show)

The OCN Jazz Club!

jealoussmiley.gifJealous Much Of My Mobo?jealoussmiley.gif

Proud Member of the [Official] OCN Headphones and Earphones Club! headphone.gif

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 61 (Unique: 44)
Thank you for the input @TheN00bBuilder but I think I may have fixed the issue or found some larger issue in my build I am not 100% sure yet...

I am still working from home from the COVID WFH orders and had an extremely slow Monday today. I pulled my rig into my living room and started tearing into it to poke things with my multi-meter and do some basic testing of the PSU. Unplugged the three SATA power plugs I have (2 Corsair RGB control modules and one for the H150i) and unplugged the 2 8-pin PCIe plugs from the GPU and powered the machine on. It hit BIOS and threw the expected GPU error so I pressed the power button to shut it back off putting the system into an S5 state. No fans spinning and no RGB on as expected as the GPU 12V and the H150i SATA plug are disconnected. Checked the same PCIe power plug and other than a small bit of residual voltage that drained quickly from the on plug capacitor, my multi-meter showed 0V.

One at a time I plug in each SATA device and repeated the test and each time after power down I read 0V on the 12V rail. I even went as far to test the pins on the GPU itself to see if it was back feeding somehow, still 0V. I connected the GPU power and booted into Windows and did a shutdown from there. Still 0V.

At this point I don't think it is the PSU that is the issue. I was running it on the same UPS with the same power cord but it was in my living room VS my office. The ONLY other difference is I did not have my VR setup connected.

Moved everything back into my office and plug everything back in. Boot into Windows then shut back down and everything behaves normally with 0V on the 12V rail.

My only guess was one of the SATA plugs wasn't connected correctly and me unplugging and plugging them in corrected it? I am going to keep an eye on it and just call it my PC throwing a temper tantrum for now.

I am not an expert on anything DON'T take my advice blindly, it might get you killed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in