Having a slight issue, been told its maybe the PSU - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Having a slight issue, been told its maybe the PSU

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 7)
I have a brand new computer (sig rig) and I have had a few issues with it. I have asked on one of my groups forums, and one of the guys suggested it might be my PSU.

My problem is, that I am hearing like a surging noise coming from the tower. Im not entirely sure if it is from the CPU though. I have had this issue for a while now, and has happened quite a few times. Today I went to save a picture, and my computer made a noise (I guess kinda like a buzz) for a second, then the computer froze for roughly 10 seconds. Not the first time that happened. After I saved the picture (this happens quite a bit) I started to get surging sounds from the tower. Ive noticed if I hit the top of my case, it stops, but this still happens quite frequently. Now with my Sig rig, Dell gave me a 425w PSU. The only thing I have done, is added the Razer Barracuda sound card. I was told that it may be the PSU getting a little overworked. All 5 of my USB ports are in use for various things, and occasionally I have my X52 joystick plugged in the front. Before I start to A) try this without my sound card, and B) swap to a 550W, I would like to know what anyone else can say about my issue.

Thanks

Flight Sim Pilots

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 11:22 PM
Efficiencycionado

Rep: 377 (Unique: 283)
whoa. that's not enough to handle a 4850. you should get at least 500w with a good brand. what brand it is anyway?

Mattise’s Holding
(17 items)
Coffee Machine
(9 items)
Tiny Comet
(10 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 I AORUS Pro WiFi
GPU
Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 2060 Dual Fan
RAM
G.Skill FlareX 16x2GB 3200 CL14
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro M.2 NVMe 2x1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo SATA 4TB
Power Supply
Corsair SX450 Platinum
Cooling
AMD Wraith Prism
Case
Custom embedded with 2-piece IKEA Stuva
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
Dell S2417DG 1440p 144hz 1ms
Monitor
Dell U3219Q-USBC 4K HDR
Keyboard
Logitech G915 Lightspeed Wireless
Mouse
Logitech G Pro Wireless Lightspeed
Mousepad
Raypad Custom
Audio
Sony WH1000XM3 Wired-Headphone
Audio
Sony PHA-3 DAC+Amplifier
CPU
i7 8750H
Motherboard
Dell XPS 15
GPU
GeForce 1050Ti
RAM
2x16GB DDR4 2600 mhz SODIMM
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro 512GB
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
15.6” 4k Touchscreen HDR 100%aRGB
Keyboard
Logitech Craft
Mouse
Logitech MX Master 2S
CPU
Intel i7 10710U 6c12t
Motherboard
Dell XPS 13
GPU
Gigabyte AORUS Gaming Box 2070
RAM
16GB
Hard Drive
Intel 660p 1TB
Power Supply
Dell 65w USB C
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
13” 4K Touchscreen
Mouse
Logitech MX Master 2X
Mouse
Logitech MX Anywhere 2
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 11:25 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 252 (Unique: 191)
425w would be cutting it extremely close, if it were from a reputable manufacturer such as Corsair, Antec, ect..

Since that does not seem to be the case, I would refrain from using that power supply in that system as soon as possible. Those hiccups you are seeing are totally not normal in a new system, and can be attributed in lapses from your power supply.

I'm more concerned in the quality/output of it, as opposed to the advertised wattage, which should be less than 425W.

For that rig, I'd look into the 650-750W area. The Corsair TX series would be great.

Look into this situation, as having a power supply blow on you will likely take other components with it. Cheap PSU's don't like to die alone.

six|speed
(8 items)
CPU
i7 4790k
Motherboard
Gryphon Z97
GPU
Asus GTX760 OC
RAM
16GB Crucial Ballistix
Hard Drive
2x 256GB Crucial MX100
Power Supply
Seasonic X650
Case
Legacy U3
Monitor
2x Dell U2414H
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

lol great. Thank you both. Dell assured me that this 425 would be great for my computer, I was still convinced other wise (especially since I would be running multiple things from the USB slots and another sound card).

Unfortunately with Dell, I cant tell you who made my card, ram, or psu. Im pretty sure that the PSU is dells own make though.

I was worried enough about the PSU just going out in general so I dont even want to think about having to send back my computer that is completely wasted. I will try removing my sound card before I sit there and go off on dell. I want to atleast try and avoid warranty conflictions, but there is no way I will play COD4 without that sound card.

Thank you both very much.

Flight Sim Pilots

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 07:05 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 111 (Unique: 96)
I seriously doubt the PSU has anything to do with the surging noises (unless its fan is physically getting stuck), but that is cutting it a bit close. If it were a high-end 425 like the enermax or something I'd be comfortable with it, but I would be nervous with a stock dell psu running that system. You could sang a corsair TX650 for about $70 and be done with it.

The surging noise could be the hard drive seaking or perhaps a case fan getting stuck or even ramping up and down with temps.

Laptop: Lenovo X61S

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks. Its hard to tell exactly where the noise is from. I suppose now I will have to stick my head in a bit closer and try and hear where its coming from.

Let me look at the PSU to see what it says....
Model # - L425P-00,
Input - 100-200v 17A 50-60Hz
Output - +5v /22A max -12v /1a max
+5v (FP) 4Amax +3.3v /17a max

There is a bit more info on it, but Im not entirely sure what to look for. I tried to take a picture but the camera wouldnt focus on it. That seemed like the main info.

I guess the HD would make sense. I would think the fan would do that more often then, especially when I play games.

Flight Sim Pilots

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I was able to stick my head next to the comp and hear the surging noise, Im fairly positive it is coming from my new HD.

Flight Sim Pilots

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in