Modular PSU - What Does it Mean? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Modular PSU - What Does it Mean?

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 99 (Unique: 79)
As the title states, what does modular, or non-modular PSU's mean?

Whats the difference, and which is better?

My alias has nothing to do with the armed forces. It is in reference to revenge of the sea creatures!

I am 70% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?

iD Software Fanboy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 12:18 PM
STG3 VET

Rep: 1174 (Unique: 756)
Quote:
A modular power supply is a relatively new approach to cabling, allowing users to omit unused cables. Whereas a conventional design has numerous cables permanently connected to the power supply, a modular power supply provides connectors at the power supply end, allowing unused cables to be detached from the power supply, producing less clutter, a neater appearance and less interference with airflow. It also makes it possible to supply a wider variety of cables, providing different lengths of Serial ATA power connectors instead of Molex connectors.

While modular cabling can help reduce case clutter, they have often been criticized for creating electrical resistance. Some third party websites that do power supply testing have confirmed that the quality of the connector, the age of the connector, the number of times it was inserted/removed, and various other variables such as dust can all raise resistance. However, the amount of this resistance in a good connector is small compared to the resistance generated by the length of the wire itself.
source

<div class="post-sig post-sig-limit shazam usersig-click"><div class="reparse-sig-lineheight"><p><a href="https://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/913181-water-cooling-guide-noobs.html#post11984918">Water cooling guide for noobs,parts,setup install case suggestions,etc</a></p><span></span><p><a href="https://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/962044-upgrade-time-update-2-3-18-a.html">Case labs TH10/ build log (2 gtx 590s) water cooling oh my</a></p><span></span><p><a href="https://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/528648-heatkiller-club.html">Founder of the Heatkiller Club</a></p><span></span><p><span>W</span><a href="https://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/601449-water-cooling-cases.html">ater cooling case suggestions</a></p></div></div>

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggalo23451 View Post
modular psu are designed to use on the cable you need to hook up yuor compure for power. Which means better airflow
Can anyone explain this a bit more clearly?

My alias has nothing to do with the armed forces. It is in reference to revenge of the sea creatures!

iD Software Fanboy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 12:20 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 1012 (Unique: 603)
Modular PSU's have cables that well... unplug. Both are good, just some people prefer modular for cable management.

Sinar F | Toyo 45CF (Rodenstock Grandagon-N 75mm f/4.5| Rodenstock Sironar-N 135mm f/5.6 | Nikkor-W 180mm f/5.6) | Profoto Acute2 1200w (2xD4)

OCN Team Fortress 2 Group
|How Marin got her new mouse!|Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Tactile Click Otaku|Happy Hacking Professional 2
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 12:20 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 773 (Unique: 598)
Modular PSUs are constructed so you can unplug the cables you don't need from the PSU so they're not cluttering up your case, while with non-modular, the cables aren't removable.

DSLR gear: Canon 1D Mark III | RokiBowYang 14mm f/2.8 | 24-105 f/4 L IS | 70-200 f/2.8 L | 300mm f/4L IS | Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 |1.4x II | 580 EX II | AB 800

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 12:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 93 (Unique: 86)
You plug the cable of a modular PSU into your components and the PSU, allowing you to use only the cables you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonz™ go_quote.gif
Water cooling is never necessary.

Do it!

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 12:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 109 (Unique: 99)
Modular:

"Normal":

Hope that helps
~Error

School now...rather inactive at the time.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 12:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 293 (Unique: 253)
Modular PSU's dont have any connectors hooked to it to begin with, just ports for cables. So if you need a 4 pin molex connector, connect it to the PSU, then connect your drives or whatever. A Non-modular PSU has the cables hardwired into the power supply itself. When you put it into the case, all the wires are in there, if you are using them or not.

The advantage of modular is that you only use the cables you need, so the case is less messy, and improves airflow, that sort of thing. However, having more connections between the PSU and the unit being powered creates a slight voltage drop, and because of the connection the power from the PSU isnt quite as pure as it would be if there was that one less connection.

Non-modular PSUs only make the one connection at the device itself, which you cant avoid. The downside is that you need to find somewhere to stuff all those cables you arent using somewhere inside the case, which can hinder airflow and make things look messy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadx go_quote.gif
What's the point in making that if you're not going to have sex with it?
Q6600 @ 4.0ghz validation
Best post EVAR
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 12:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 558 (Unique: 454)

thats a modular psu you only connect the cables you need it helps with cable mangement airflow its really helpful in small cases
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Awesome... think it would be wise to purchase a modular PSU?

I don't really seem to have airflow problems in my CM690, most of the cables sit at the bottom of the case (around or below the video card) and my 8800GT still runs super-cool.

Although, it is using a non-stock cooler..

Anywho - recommended or no?

iD Software Fanboy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in