Question about PSU - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Question about PSU

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 149 (Unique: 120)
I know this has been asked like a million times already, but I am putting together a photoshop rig for my wife, who uses Adobe PS3. I am using my older P35 board, with 3 HDs, and 3 120mm fans total, E8500 which I hope to overclock to 3.9ghz. The PSU I will be using is Antec EA380, and I will only be using a 8400GS 256mb GPU.

Will the 380W PSU do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 03:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 779 (Unique: 584)
I would say thats a little small for that system. Id say something along the lines of a 500w psu would be better. Something like this pc power and cooling 500w Remember PSUs' are the heart of your rig, DO NOT buy a cheapy. You will regret it later.

How to: Rewire proprietary Dell server Delta fans to work on any motherboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPER PISSED go_quote.gif

Yeah, well Nvidia can stick it up their ass. This is great.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 03:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 345 (Unique: 285)
Yeah, the 380 will handle it like a champ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 03:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3468 (Unique: 1499)
EA380 is a solid psu can do 320w on 12v. E8500 OC to 3.9 is round 105 to 115w depending on the vocre. The 8400GS is around 40w so it should be fine if you don't any upgrade. If you have some upgrades, the PCP&C 500w BlackOmega suggested above is a good one.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 04:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Only reason I suggested a larger Wattage PSU is because most boards themselves call for at least 400. My old DFI lanparty ultra D calls for a 400w PSU minimum. So I'm assuming a more modern board would have similar specs for power input. Not to mention its going to be running 3 HDD and several fans.

Go high, do you have the manual for the board? You should see if they suggest a minimum wattage.

Quote:

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 04:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 345 (Unique: 285)
The motherboard doesn't actually take up much wattage. It is 80% or so CPU and GPU, then 10% hard drives and memory, followed by less then 10% everything else. If you keep the voltage low on the E8500 then it should really be fine. That system on idle should not use more then 100 watts of power, and even using photoshop, I can't see that system peaking at 100% load for more then a few minutes, if ever. Even at full load the PSU should handle it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 05:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothergoose729 View Post
The motherboard doesn't actually take up much wattage. It is 80% or so CPU and GPU, then 10% hard drives and memory, followed by less then 10% everything else. If you keep the voltage low on the E8500 then it should really be fine. That system on idle should not use more then 100 watts of power, and even using photoshop, I can't see that system peaking at 100% load for more then a few minutes, if ever. Even at full load the PSU should handle it.

Very true, but I always err on the side of caution. I rather have too much power and have my PSU run at a higher efficieny rate than a minimum spec one that Im constantly pushing. Ive read too many posts about people running what I would consider an inadequte PSU, and it fails. Sometimes taking other hardware with it. I rather have too much than not enough.

Quote:

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 05:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 120 (Unique: 107)
you should be just fine its usually the gpu that sucks the most juice and the 8400gs is by no means a power guzzler. if you ever update your gpu in the future then you'll need a bigger psu, but as of now with that setup youre good to go.

Quote:Originally Posted by tha d0ctor http://static.overclock.net//img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it doesn't promote camping and sprinting around with a knife I'm sold.

Quote:Originally Posted by CrazyNikel http://static.overclock.net//img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread is about to get tag team'd harder then Jenna Jameson's 3-in-1 movies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in