On Thermaltake PSUs - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

On Thermaltake PSUs

post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 1730 (Unique: 1138)
I cringe every time I see someone say, "Get a Thermaltake PSU, they're awesome." Why is that you ask? With reviews like this and this they must be excellent power supplies, right? They are! Except that those aren't the models everyone looks at when they're recommended to go with Thermaltake.

Thermaltake has two major lines of power supplies: the Toughpower units and the PurePower/TR2 units.

The Thermaltake Toughpower PSUs are excellent PSUs, often made by CWT, with high efficiency, good voltage regulation, and good protection chips. They're on par with Corsair most of the time. Overall they're good PSUs and worth considering.

But the PurePower or TR2 units are another story. There aren't as many reviews for them as for the Toughpowers; the most reliable I've found are from HardwareSecrets, and both of the units they tested were shoddy:

Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W
Quote:
Thermaltake TR2 RX 750 W is, according to our methodology, a flawed product that must be avoided at all costs. It can’t deliver its labeled wattage at high temperatures, but this is not the worst of it: ripple and noise level are way above the maximum allowed when you pull 80% or more from the unit’s labeled capacity (i.e. 600 W and above), overloading your components (especially electrolytic capacitors from the motherboard and video cards), which can cause your PC to present an erratic behavior (crashes and random resets) and, under extreme conditions, damage components.
- http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/902/9

Thermaltake PurePower (TR2) 430W NP
Quote:
This is an old ATX power supply where the manufacturer added a 24-pin motherboard connector, SATA power cables and a PCI Express auxiliary power cable to make it compatible with computers available today. Simply updating the cables doesn’t make this power supply an updated product.
The main problem with this power supply is that it can’t deliver its labeled power. It is, in fact, a 350 W power supply.
You could buy it as if it were a 350 W unit, but when we pulled 355 W from this power supply noise level was touching the maximum admissible limit and efficiency was at 69.6%. With other load patterns the maximum efficiency we saw was 76.9%.

Our conclusion is pretty simple: don’t buy this power supply.
- http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/332/9

Thermaltake's power supplies are made by three companies: CWT, Compucase, and Thermaltake itself. CWT makes some of the Toughpower units and some of the TR2/PurePower units. The CWT-made TR2/PurePowers are at least half-decent, but still not very good. However the CWT Toughpower units are essentially identical to their Corsair counterparts. Thermaltake makes the Toughpower XT units. Compucase makes a lot of the low-end PurePower and TR2 PUS and they are absolute garbage. How do you tell the difference?
The UL number.

Find this on your power supply.
E199442 - Compucase - Avoid at all costs
E161451 - CWT - TR2/PurePower: avoid. Toughpower: very good
E303666 - OEM Thermaltake - Quite good usually

When someone is told that all Thermaltake PSUs are good, and they go in Frys and see a $50 Thermaltake TR2 next to a $100 Thermaltake Toughpower, which are they going to get? The cheap-o.

So I must insist; if you recommend a Thermaltake PSU, make sure to qualify it as Thermaltake Toughpower, because otherwise you might as well tell 'em to get a Dynex or some crap like that.

Further Reading

Burning books is like burning bras; after the adrenaline rush of the symbolic moment wears off all you're left with is a pile of ashes and unsupported boobs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 11:48 PM
I'm NOT new to Overclock

Rep: 1075 (Unique: 860)
Informative, Contained proof, 100% accurate.

I'd still get a Corsair though. :-D

Hidden Text Below! (Click to show)Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhudson go_quote.gif
are you saying that a single core cpu cant run more than one process? because im positive i can run windows media player and google chrome at the same time on my amd sempron chip...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestECull go_quote.gif
Mic jack? That'd be hotdog down hallway turf in this situation.

I suggest the manual release hole on the optical drive. Bonus points if you eject the tray!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Xeb go_quote.gif
Overclocking isn't buying the fastest just to be fast, it is buying the cheapest and making it fast!

post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 11:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 52 (Unique: 47)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
So I must insist; if you recommend a Thermaltake PSU, make sure to qualify it as Thermaltake Toughpower, because otherwise you might as well tell 'em to get a Dynex or some crap like that.
I agree completely. May as well get a Powmax if not the Toughpower....well maybe not that bad.

Folding for a cure.
Team - EVGApes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 11:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 13)
Very interesting!

I've always been a tad skeptical of the low-end TT PSUs, because of the fact that they make such high-end gear in other categories. I guess this just reaffirms that the lowest amount you should ever spend on a PSU is ~$80.
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by V!le View Post
Very interesting!

I've always been a tad skeptical of the low-end TT PSUs, because of the fact that they make such high-end gear in other categories. I guess this just reaffirms that the lowest amount you should ever spend on a PSU is ~$80.
Thanks!

You can go less than $80 if you're looking at real low-wattage power supplies. SeaSonic makes some good 300W units in the $40-60 range. But for any 500W+ PSU, $80 seems to be the lowest price where you find worthwhile units, unless there's a big sale or something.

Burning books is like burning bras; after the adrenaline rush of the symbolic moment wears off all you're left with is a pile of ashes and unsupported boobs.
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 12:50 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 711 (Unique: 516)
Always, Always look at the OEM of a manufacture. Corsair wouldn't be Corsair without Seasonic and CWT, and Antec wouldn't be Antec without, well Seasonic and CWT lol (maybe Enhance as well)
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 12:52 AM
It's still almost enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youra6 View Post
Antec wouldn't be Antec without, well Seasonic and CWT lol (maybe Enhance as well)
Don't forget Delta. They did the Signature and CP series.

Combined air and water cooling tips: Fan database | My San Ace 9G1212H1011 review | Don't mix metals or use premixes / dyes | Distilled vs. tap water | Good radiator brands | Water (almost) can't flow too fast | Which PT Nuke to use | Regarding thermal paste spreading
Deep Blood
(15 items)
Soft Sentinel
(13 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7 920 D0 (Batch # 3901A240)
Motherboard
Foxconn X58 Blood Rage (non-GTI)
GPU
Sapphire Vega 64 8GB
RAM
6GB Corsair Dominator 1.6GHz TR3X6G1600C8D Rev 3.2
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD830 128GB / Seagate 640GB+2TB+2x4TB
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S223Q 22X
Power Supply
Antec HCPP-850
Cooling
XTTH | OCZ Freeze | 9G1212H1011
Case
CaseLabs SM8
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Monitor
Dell U2410f (rev. A02)
Keyboard
Code 104 w/O-rings + Vortex PBT/POM doubleshot keycaps
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP w/Dechanic Mini pad
Audio
Asus Xonar DX / Klipsch RM-14s + Dayton DTA-120 / MXL Tempo
Other
Microsoft Lifecam Cinema
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E6320
Motherboard
Intel DP35DP
GPU
XFX GeForce 7600GT
RAM
2GB Mushkin DDR2 800 5-5-5-12
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB
Optical Drive
Asus 18x multi-burner
Power Supply
Enermax Liberty 400w modular
Case
Rosewill R5604-TBK
Operating System
Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit
Monitor
Samsung LN-S2351W
Keyboard
Ideazon MERC
Mouse
Logitech MX-518 (rev.2; 1800 DPI [no Teflon feet])
Mouse
Xtrac Pads Ripper
▲ hide details ▲

post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Hm, don't think Antec use CWT. I think it's SeaSonic, Delta, Enhance, and... someone else. The SeaSonics are rock solid, the Enhances are generally good, Delta is good... I guess the other brand makes their shoddy units?

post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 12:52 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 711 (Unique: 516)
Oh yeah Delta, I did forget about them

To phaedrus2129, I think they made the old True Power PSU's. Seasonic may have started to manufacture the newer versions, like the True Power Trio.

I'm not 100% sure, but im pretty positive
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Don't know. I know the True Power New units are SeaSonic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in