Single Rail vs. Multi Rail *Explained* - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Single Rail vs. Multi Rail *Explained*

post #11 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff
Phaedrus2129 has a spectacular aura about Phaedrus2129 has a spectacular aura about Phaedrus2129 has a spectacular aura about Phaedrus2129 has a spectacular aura about Phaedrus2129 has a spectacular aura about Phaedrus2129 has a spectacular aura about Phaedrus2129 has a spectacular aura about Phaedrus2129 has a spectacular aura about Phaedrus2129 has a spectacular aura about Phaedrus2129 has a spectacular aura about Phaedrus2129 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinji2k View Post
One of? They where the origin . But I'd like to keep my blood pressure down so let's not talk about that. They are dead to me anyway.

I find myself to be apathetic to the whole thing anymore. I can't be bothered to debate it even with people who know what they are talking about. It doesn't even factor into my own PSU buying decisions. In all of my years of computers I have never had a short or seen another computer in real life that shorted and melted/burnt something due to lack of OCP. I know it happens, but the frequency is so low I am much more concerned about the dangers of driving home from work than a freak accident with my computer.
Yeah, it's no factor to me either, but I'm getting sick of debating it just like you are. So I decided the best way to settle it is an article. Multi-rail has a slight advantage because of OCP, but it doesn't really matter most of the time.

Burning books is like burning bras; after the adrenaline rush of the symbolic moment wears off all you're left with is a pile of ashes and unsupported boobs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 11:15 PM
New to Overclock.net
Hephasteus is an unknown quantity at this point Hephasteus is an unknown quantity at this point

I like single rail. It's better for burning down your tower when you accidently screw diver it with the power on.

post #13 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 11:23 PM
New to Overclock.net
Bal3Wolf has a spectacular aura about Bal3Wolf has a spectacular aura about Bal3Wolf has a spectacular aura about Bal3Wolf has a spectacular aura about Bal3Wolf has a spectacular aura about Bal3Wolf has a spectacular aura about Bal3Wolf has a spectacular aura about Bal3Wolf has a spectacular aura about

Nice read and easyer to understand then some others that try to explain it. 1 thing i would like psu makers to do is mark what rail goes to what so you can balance the load out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff
Phaedrus2129 has a spectacular aura about Phaedrus2129 has a spectacular aura about Phaedrus2129 has a spectacular aura about Phaedrus2129 has a spectacular aura about Phaedrus2129 has a spectacular aura about Phaedrus2129 has a spectacular aura about Phaedrus2129 has a spectacular aura about Phaedrus2129 has a spectacular aura about Phaedrus2129 has a spectacular aura about Phaedrus2129 has a spectacular aura about Phaedrus2129 has a spectacular aura about

Some already do.

In case you're wondering, your M12D is labeled as being multi rail when it's actually single. SeaSonic is weird like that.

Burning books is like burning bras; after the adrenaline rush of the symbolic moment wears off all you're left with is a pile of ashes and unsupported boobs.
post #15 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 12:01 AM
New to Overclock.net
gymenii is on a distinguished road gymenii is on a distinguished road gymenii is on a distinguished road gymenii is on a distinguished road gymenii is on a distinguished road

Yes! Great read. This should certainly clear up any debate. Oh, and I vote to sticky and recommend everyone must read this before making a purchasing decision.

You know you are living in 2012 when... Every commercial on television has a web site at the bottom of the screen.
post #16 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 02:44 AM
New to Overclock.net
Kaninja Level 1

Great write-up. One of the major reasons we see so many PSU's with single rails these days is because ATX2.2 lifted the 240va limit requirement and made it merely a recommendation. This is, I believe, a major contributor to why we are seeing rails that exceed 20A. PC P&C isn't such a bunch of rebels anymore.......not much of anything anymore actually.

Folding for a cure.
Team - EVGApes.

post #17 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 03:30 AM
New to Overclock.net
Bal3Wolf has a spectacular aura about Bal3Wolf has a spectacular aura about Bal3Wolf has a spectacular aura about Bal3Wolf has a spectacular aura about Bal3Wolf has a spectacular aura about Bal3Wolf has a spectacular aura about Bal3Wolf has a spectacular aura about Bal3Wolf has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
Some already do.

In case you're wondering, your M12D is labeled as being multi rail when it's actually single. SeaSonic is weird like that.
Yea i know but its still a nice psu i bought it cause i got it for 130 and jonnyguru gave it a good review. And i did notice its labled on inside but not outside i just need to remmber first 2 plugs go to rail 1 and 2nd to last one.

Quote:
This would be a good time to mention that the two 12V rails share a single source. They are split using overcurrent protection, just like 99% of the other multirail units out there.

post #18 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 04:04 AM
New to Overclock.net
lurkingdevil Level 1

At first thought it appears as if the different rails have different source, so load on one rail won't affect the other. However they share the same source, so all this multi rail thing is very misleading.

post #19 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 11:39 AM
New to Overclock.net
Oklahoma Wolf Level 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaninja View Post
PC P&C isn't such a bunch of rebels anymore
They weren't really in the first place - several industrial OEMs, most notably Zippy, never really adopted the 240VA requirement in the first place. They had some models that conformed to it, and some that didn't... both before and after the 240VA limit was imposed. It was just business as usual for them.

PC P&C actually tried on the 240VA limit for everything above the old 510W before realizing the SSA spec wasn't right for home computers and going to single 12V rather than make the rail distribution make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingdevil
At first thought it appears as if the different rails have different source, so load on one rail won't affect the other. However they share the same source, so all this multi rail thing is very misleading.
Only up until you realize it's the same sort of idea used by your household breaker box.

post #20 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 03:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

yea way i understand it is each rail has a failsafe and is only allowed say 40amps befor it triggers the failsafe compared to a single has to go way higher befor it trips it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in